1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Most Powerful UUs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MerchantCo, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

What's the most powerful unique unit in your opinion? :mischief:

2. deity12

deity12 Chieftain

I just about stabbed myself recently trying to kill Mohawk warriors in a hilly-forest-river terrain. :lol: Honestly, even with my Shoshone friendly terrain bonus, my composite bowmen were doing around 7 dmg a hit.

I'll edit this later when I actually think of the most powerful. Can't think right now :mischief:.

3. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

I think we've had these threads enough by now to know that Camel Archers and Keshiks are so far and above the rest of the game that it isn't even really a contest. I guess Impi can join the fun too.

4. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

Impi upgrades to Lancers, so nah :p.

5. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Samurai, Keshik, Impi, and Winged Hussar

6. Chiatroll

Chiatroll Warlord

Keshik and khans?

siege towers are up there.

7. arand86

arand86 Warlord

Battering rams.

A warrior walking into an upgrade ruin more or less grants you a city from another civ.

8. Crustierpie

Crustierpie Chieftain

Actually they upgrade to riflemen (they broke the standard Pikeman->lancer path)

It's hard to judge most powerful UU because it depends on map type, when you like to stage your war(s).

My criteria for a great UU is:
    1.Built between classical and renaissance (never got the hang of ancient era wars, maybe I should play on marathon)
    2.Have either great mobility defense or healing (otherwise it will be hard to upgrade)
    3.A unique ability that allows you to use it differently (built in normal promotions are nice but if thats the whole advantage than its the same as barbs and upgrading)
    4. Not be a lancer (seriously they are terrible)

9. Qbone

Qbone Chieftain

This is honestly why I love Impis so much. That combined with the UB of the Zulus turn impies into beastly Riflemen. Heck, I'd even say that Zulu spearmen are their own UU so much they're amazing.

10. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I beg to differ here and present the one exception I hold dear to me... the Sea Beggar.

I've recently grown fond of using regular privateers too, but they are a bit clumsy before they get the Supply promotion unless they're used near friendly waters. The Sea Beggars avert this problem by having Supply to begin with, and also have an extra level in commerce raiding. I think I'll be playing my next game as the Dutch just for some good ol' "begging".

11. Dai

Dai Warlord

Maybe this opinion is just silly, and it feels weird to call it directly "powerful" but I feel like the Nau belongs in the conversation because having it as a unique unit basically gives coastal cities an incredibly efficient gold production option. It feels totally unfair. There are other UU that also feel totally unfair - Keshiks are an obvious example - but it feels totally unfair along a very different axis. It's of course very difficult to compare them to the most beastly military monster UUs (Keshiks, Rams, Impi, etc.), but in terms of overall advantage provided they're pretty scary.

12. George Abitbol

George Abitbol Prince

Do you mean, once upgraded to riflemen, they are still able to attack twice, both range and melee?

13. Tiggurix

Tiggurix Warlord

14. Qbone

Qbone Chieftain

They do not, unfortunately. But they do keep the Buffalo upgrades.

15. Nicasen

Nicasen Chieftain

After keshiks and camel archers which are in a league of their own, I'd say the next best UUs are Chu ko nu, Janissary, Carolean, Longbowman, Siege tower, Battering rams, Ship of the line, Impi, and potentially Kris swords.

16. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

I've never been high on the Longbowmen, mainly because the game is really dumb with 3-range attacks with no indirect fire. Just look at any of the dozen "why can't I attack this unit?" threads on these forums to see why Longbows are a lot weaker in game than they are on paper.

17. tomtom5858

tomtom5858 Prince

Actually, this can be abused. You can end up tossing arrows over mountains if you plan it right :lol: Can't prove it right now, but it's in one of those threads :)

18. ekat2468

ekat2468 Warlord

The Siege Tower fufills all of those requirements :D
    1. Classical Era Unit
    2. It has Cover I
    3. Its a melee siege units
    4. It isn't a lancer its a catapult

19. MattZed

MattZed Warlord

As has been mentioned above me, Sea Beggars are incredibly powerful. Sure, they may be "just" privateers with extra promotions, but those promotions go a long way toward making a powerful coast-conquering navy that upgrades to destroyers for an Industrial/Modern era push.