1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

the most powerfull nation on earth... ever

Discussion in 'World History' started by weimar_republic, Sep 29, 2001.

?

which nation was most powerfull in its own time. {rome in year 70, USA in 2001, etc}

1. The United States of America {Bill Clinton} 2000, before the economic bad times

32 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. The Roman Empire {Trajan} 110, at the Empire's geographic largest

36 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Egypt {Ramses II} BCE

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. The Kingdom of France {Louis IVX} 1600's at the Empires 'golden era'

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. The British Colonial Empire {Victoria} 1700's at the Empire's geographic largest

40 vote(s)
    28.8%
  6. Babylon {Hammarubi} BCE

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Israel {David} BCE

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  8. The Atrociously Uncoordinated Monstrosity of Mongols {Genghis Khan} 1200's when Khan was live

20 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Islam {Assorted Leaders} 700's-1300's when they defeated the "west" in the crusades

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. Ottoman Empire {Assorted Leaders} 1500's at the Empire's geographic largest

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weimar_republic

weimar_republic Chieftain

I would have to place my vote for Rome, I am Italian, and I take great pride in the fact that we were once the 'rulers of the world'

2. DaEezT

DaEezT Civ, Pizza, Spam, Repeat

I go for USA but just because it's the only modern(1900+) in the poll. Maybe u should have added the CSSR.
    All the old empires had often problems with their size and the time it took for troops/messages to get from one end to the other.

3. weimar_republic

weimar_republic Chieftain

I was thinkin to add the USSR, but it only beat the USA for a short time, between 1957-1969. during this time, Sputnick to Appolo 11, the cuban missle crisis occured. also note, Khruschev was leader of the USSR, and time, and that the USSR only achived ANYTHING under the non-dictator leaders {Lenin, Khruschev, Gorbachev} and nothing under the dictators {Stalin, Brezhnev}

also, the point of the poll was in thier own time, Rome would loose a war to 1 guy with a gun, but Rome in the year 70, was, other then China, THE world.

4. DaEezT

DaEezT Civ, Pizza, Spam, Repeat

I know, and still i go for USA. They still exist, after.. how many hundret years? While all of the other empires broke apart.
    And they had some hard times. Fighting for their independance and the Civil War, but still here they are!

5. Mikoyan

Mikoyan Digimortal

I would have voted for the USSR

6. shadowdale

shadowdale CFC Drunkard

Yes DaEezT your right - the US still exists after some 200+ years and the Roman Empire broke apart after only 1200 years - I really see the point in your argument!!!

Do you believe that the US will still be there in 1000 years?? I don't think any of the current countries or alliances will be here in 1000 years.

:sniper:

7. Matrix

Matrix Chieftain Retired Moderator

I think this is an impossible poll to answer: the world in these different eras are so different! You can't compare them.

But w_r, why didn't you include the Weimar-Republic? ;)

8. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Chieftain

The only way you can answer this q is to look at the superiority of the nation over all the earth during their time.

And in useing this method I would have to choose Rome. They modernized the world lasted for sooo long.

9. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

hmmm.....**votes for own country**. Well come on, we Brits did pratically rule a quater of the world!

10. Kefka

Kefka Your local Schizophrenic

Because that was not a world power and he is being a realist ;)

can you name my more than 5 countrys that did NOT fight for there independace in the begining ;)
    and the US would still prob. still be here if we lost the Civil War, it would just be MUCH smaller and I bet not a world power.

They would not just lose they would bow down and call him god because he can harness the power of black magic. I mean he points his wand and one guy is dead!
    but really I think he would lose because he only would have so many bullets ;)

11. shadowdale

shadowdale CFC Drunkard

Hmm I think that depends on how youd define, fight for their independance - the French have never really been anything but French ever since the Roman Empire disintegrated, they have had wars and stuff but it has always been Franch - but they had a revolution against their king!!!

Denmark, Iceland Norway and probably England didn't fight for their independance - England is a bit special because they did in a way fight during 1066 but it wasn't England at that time.

12. Graeme the mad

Graeme the mad Certified Maniac

The problem with this is how you define powerful: ive taken powerfulk as meaning sheer land are and pop under control: because of this it has to go to my own fair land

RULE BRITANNIA RULE BRITANNIA

13. Mikoyan

Mikoyan Digimortal

Sweden was pretty mighty in its days too. The entire baltic region including Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland and Estonia

14. shadowdale

shadowdale CFC Drunkard

Hey Sweden has never had Denmark - you might have occupied Denmark for a very short periode of time but you never conquered us!!!!!!

But back in the old days of the Vikings or later under the Calmar union........... Aha it was good to be a Dane...

15. Mikoyan

Mikoyan Digimortal

King Karl XII was at war with the Turks, need i say more?

16. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

I voted for Israel (although I considered it when we were stronger - during Solomon's era)... But not because of military power - Because of cultural effect. All kinds of things you take for obvious and I know where they came from... Things like the ABC (developed from early Hebrew), Monotheism, ICQ (It was invented in Israel...) and the idea of equal treatment to people of all religions.

17. goodyhut

goodyhut Chieftain

USA was definitely most powerful. Until...

18. Mikoyan

Mikoyan Digimortal

Seen it many times before....*YAWN*!:rolleyes:

19. Eli

Eli Chieftain

The Kingdom of Israel is in but Persia and Babylon are out? (With all do the respect to my subjectivity :))

20. Eli

Eli Chieftain

oops. Babylon is in. :o Still, Persia was stronger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.