The Music Rocks at Civ4.com

covenant

Warlord
All I can say is wow. I turned off the music at first, dreading what was to come, but after reading a few posts I clicked the on button, and was in shock.

I got headaches from hearing the civ 3 music for hours on end :mad: but his was a real treat. :cool:

Congrats Fraxis. Great job. :king:

Guy posted over at Apolyton, that the music is civ and ear spefic. So if your interacting with a a civ that has two leaders the music will fit his era and civ style. Also when you zoom into towns it will reflect the civ.

Its touches like that that make a classic game.

Just wanna point out the Japanese music for Tokugawa Diplomacy Screen is the famous Sakura music! Very culture savvy!

Now if only they'd fix the Chinese city names...

Sakura... Sakura...

The music for the Spiral Minaret isn't functional - I keep getting another copy of the Ancient Soundtrack by Cromer.

It's all good stuff, though.

I also made the decision to mute the musics from civ3. Although, I wasn't all quite in my room while playing, Winamp is very important when playing civ :)

I'll remember the leader screens from civ1 and ecspecially the babylonian leader Hammurabi's backround music.. I still can here the drumming in my head :) I'll Hope that I will hear something as nostalgic as that was back in the days from civ4... But if not, there is always my mp3-player! :>

The music... worries me.

You see, I always play 4X games in the evening, and hear the news and similar programs on my public radio station.

But the music in Civ IV seems to be good enough to get me listen to it exclusively - so where am I going to get my news now? ;)

spicytimothy said:
Just wanna point out the Japanese music for Tokugawa Diplomacy Screen is the famous Sakura music! Very culture savvy!

Now if only they'd fix the Chinese city names...

Sakura... Sakura...

i appreciate the references that some of the music makes to other well known music (of different cultures) and that of older civ games. i was thinking about doing some sort of music mod (or suggesting it to the civ community). but if the music is that enjoyable (and supposedly varied) then it might be a while before people get bored enough for it to be worth it.

i might miss listening to my lord of the rings soundtracks, too. :)

I was wondering isn't the music played when you click media from Colonization?

I wish they would have made a remix of the fountain of youth song in Colonization.. I just loved that song.

The music is indeed pretty nice. I was expecting the worst after the not so good music from Civ 3, but they seem to be going all out on this game.

The music for the Spiral Minaret isn't functional - I keep getting another copy of the Ancient Soundtrack by Cromer.

I noticed that too, but it is working today. Make anyone nervous about bugs in the game?

Modifiable said:
I noticed that too, but it is working today. Make anyone nervous about bugs in the game?
That's unrelated. The Sprinal Minaret theme link was just to the wrong file. It's the webmaster's fault, not the developer's fault.

What's nice is, that "LOADING" when you went to the page for the first time was it downloading the .mp3 into your temporary internet files, so I just copied the four files over to my music directory.

This implies that the game uses .mp3's in general... which means it should be really easy for people to put their own music collection into the game. Imagine the possibilities! For anything involving the Romans, I might have it use the Gladiator soundtrack. And, of course, I'll put REM's "It's the End of the World As We Know It" on right before I nuke the heck out of someone. (Once upon a time, back in college, I saw an anime music video for that song, with the footage cut from dozens of different anime's where Tokyo was destroyed. Nukes, giant lizards, giant robots, and whatever that big black explosion was in Akira...) And if the same logic extends to Wonder movies, think of what this means for mods.

Top Bottom