1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The NESer Neptune's Pride Thread!

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Lord_Iggy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Are you up for another game when it ends? I'm ready to be backstabbed and all...

2. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Parody?

Sure, and let's have a 24 hour advanced warning next time.

3. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Actually, I had it backwards- last to join wins. Just like how, when you start, everyone is ranked in the reverse of the order in which they joined.

4. Benefactor

Benefactor Beneficial

I would have just made it to 2nd place then :( .

5. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Well, I did keep on asking Daftpanzer to just attack you already so that we wouldn't have a nailbiter ending like this... unless the next system Daft captures is yours, and I cannot see that within my scanning range, then you win the tie by dint of your being the very last player to join.

Order of joining: Thlayli, Iggy, Starlife, Terrance, Zoomm11, Daftpanzer, Crezth, Benefactor.

6. Benefactor

Benefactor Beneficial

It's over, Daftpanzer took Fomalhaut and my slow fleets didn't have time to react.

89: Daftpanzer
    39: Lord Iggy
    38: Benefactor
    07: Terrance
    01: Crezth
    01: Zoomm11
    00: Starlife
    00: Thlayli

7. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer There may be more posts after this.

Winning doesn't feel so great, just glad its over...

My feeling was, given Iggy's determined fight over the past week or so, and leading the game before I attacked Starlife (I think), he deserved 2nd place. Aside from the whole starlife thing, we were cooperating from the start and never had the tension that me and Benefactor did. Which is not to say that Benefactor wasn't a great help to me getting 1st place and could've probably taken it for himself... Argh.

I probably leave Benefactor thinking he should've attacked me, especially when I was making vague promises of a Daft-Jandor-Aries triple. I didn't mean to be deliberately evil like that. Its just the way of this game, I suppose :/

Don't know if I want to play another NP game with NESers or if anyone will ever trust me now :) I definately think I would roleplay a character, in the style of SeLf_().

EDIT: if I had remained allied with starlife, I would have been 3rd most likely. Benefactor and Terrance would've been tough to beat, I could see myself taking the brunt against Benefactor and most of the stars going to Starlife in the centre, with Iggy devouring Terrance eventually to take the lead. Then, there is no telling how Starlife may have switched sides given the opportunity - him and Benefactor could easily have wiped me out at any point.

8. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

Sigh, good game.

Epilogue

The Cult of Profit smoldered under the iron fist of the Empire. Never entirely destroyed, its practitioners gain powerful mental energy to cause change, known as "Darakas' Invisible hand" or "Cap", short for Capital. It flourished in the growing gambling dens and distant and nearly-worthless systems as greed and progress steps hand in hand. It is rumored that even the Emperor, or at least his trusty majordomo Daft Panzer, have converted to this cult, at least for the power alone, if not to prevent a serious rebellion in the future.

EDIT @ Daft: Don't worry, I would trust you again. One does not need to fear the Betrayer, for one can trust him to betray when the time is "ripe". One must fear the righteous, for he will never consider it betrayer, and will stab whenever a whim takes him.

Anyway, current plot points for the Aries Corporation.
    Spacemesh/Terranic Union-Severely Anti-Aries, Machine based, Achieved Transcendence and Singularity, part of a group of Allied Natives.
    Cult of Profit-Not Anti-Aries, but Anti-Multiversal Federation, diverse and spread out within a strong Empire, willing to give tech and coordinates to attack the MF itself.
    Aries of Apollo-Lost to the Battledudes of Iggy, more self-righteous than the standard Corporation, may recoil when they reestablish contact with MF, considering blowing up their current galaxy.

Other Plot Points
    Eternal Eclipse-Unknown, most of their systems are completely shrouded by dyson spheres and anti-grav systems, making them nearly impossible to find. Maybe started colonizing black holes.
    Rance of the Alliance-On a journey, which end depends on a current game. Started as a heavy drinking but jovial president. Now brain damaged and "cunning", seeking to dominate for the sake of domination.

I'm thinking I'd avoid Cult of Profit and Spacemesh just because they are too close to what I have already. I don't want to do another Aries colony either.

9. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Shoaly hit, that was an entirely psychotic game.

Good game everyone, that was a slog through and through, a game as filled with intrigue, deception, tactics, trust and drama as any I've ever played. The last 8 days in specific have been rather exhausting.

Game 11: Tau Marfark
    1st (10 Points) Daftpanzer
    2nd (5 Points) Lord_Iggy
    3rd (1 Points) Benefactor
    4th Terrance888
    6th Crezth*
    5th Zoomm11*
    7th Starlife
    8th Thlayli

*Zoomm11 and Crezth finished the game tied with one star apiece. Zoomm11 lasted longer as a competitive force, but he's not a NESer so nyeh.

10. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

The Overall Standings Table is now updated. Daftpanzer has surpassed Terrance888 and Wonderslime, moving from 4th to 2nd. Iggy maintains his hold on first. Benefactor moves up to 15th overall, after starting the match tied for last place (23rd to 28th). Terrance888 falls from 2nd to 3rd as he is surpassed in total points by Daftpanzer. Crezth carves out a spot for himself on the list tied for 20th, while Starlife moves onto the standings tied for Rank 25, along with everyone else who has played one game and not survived to its conclusion. Thlayli holds onto his Rank #6, furthering his 'Games Played' gap on Immaculate.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    Name Points Games Survivals
    Lord_Iggy 75 9 8
    Daftpanzer 25 5 5
    Terrance888 20 5 4
    Wonderslime 20 2 2
    Abaddon 11 6 2
    Thlayli 10 6 3
    Immaculate 10 2 1
    Luckymoose 6 2 2
    andis-1 5 1 1
    English Crusader 3 3 2
    Matt0088 2 4 4
    merciary 1 6 3
    bombshoo 1 3 2
    lord_joakim 1 3 2
    Benefactor 1 2 1
    MjM 1 1 1
    qoou 1 1 1
    Boundless 0 5 2
    Shadowbound 0 3 1
    Crezth 0 1 1
    Omega124 0 1 1
    Bil 0 1 1
    nutranurse 0 2 0
    thomas.berubeg 0 3 0
    Starlife 0 1 0
    ReLax 0 1 0
    NedimNapoleon 0 1 0
    EQandcivfanatic 0 1 0
    Owenglyndwr 0 1 0
    Kentharu 0 1 0
    Tuxedohamm 0 1 0

And here is the endgame map. Starlife survived almost to the very end of the game, but his last star, Rrrog, was taken in the last 24 hours by Daftpanzer.

11. Benefactor

Benefactor Beneficial

I just wished you'd attacked me sooner Daftpanzer. I'd finally managed to get into a position where I was fairly confident I could make second place just in time, then I check less than half an hour later and it's all been undone at the last possible moment.
    I understand why you left it till then, it avoided drawing out the inevitable needlessly. Still...

I actually did originally want me and Terrance to go to war with you and Iggy. He convinced me to drop the idea and instead we approached you for an alliance.
    See Terrance, I was right all along, we should have just attacked everyone :p .

12. Wonderslime

Wonderslime Chieftain

When I read about Lord Haberdashery's monocle popping out, I snorted in laughter. I have this image of a blustery space-Britishman, perhaps with a wild white "higgledy-piggledy" mustache - to me, a parody of something traditional and British. :)

Daft: Don't feel badly! Every game turns out differently. You should feel glad to have come out on top - if it wasn't you backstabbing, it could very well have been someone else to do it to you. Congrats!

13. Daftpanzer

I have the highest points:games ratio? And I don't think I betrayed ANYONE in the first four games :) Was saving it all for Tau Marfark...

Benefactor, I apologise again. I was indecisive in this game, I didn't have anything planned out especially, and trying to please too many people, though that doesn't work of course - I came across as being really deceptive in the end :(

Wonderslime, thanks :) It got a little intense and personal in there, especially when it was down to four players.

14. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Well, let's consider Daft's trajectory. Crezth blows his entire early fleet by attacking with no weapon upgrades, and he'd invested heavily into the industry of his stars. Daftpanzer gets the bulk of Crezth's stars, which went a long way to evening out his early expansion mistake. He then moved against Zoomm11, who was stuck in a back and forth war with Starlife. Tilting the balance, Daftpanzer was also able to profit heavily from this campaign. Then, while simultaneously holding up enough of a force to dissuade Benefactor from attacking, he broke his alliance and stabbed Starlife, absorbing the most star-heavy guy in the game, just around the time that Terrance888, my erstwhile co-belligerent against Thlayli, was invading me, the only person who could save Starlife. Starlife straight up died, while I was reduced from superpower status, and spent the rest of the game fighting a brutal back and forth war in my southern systems and through Thlayli's old core. Zosma must have switched hands 20 times this game, and at different times been a developed system for four different players. At any rate, Daftpanzer now found himself in a profoundly advantageous situation: he had an overwhelmingly strong economy, Iggy was diplomatically isolated and fighting everyone but Daftpanzer himself, Benefactor was tied up between war against Iggy and defending his own stars, and Terrance888, while initially threatening to overrun Iggy, was turned back, and then before he could launch a new offensive he had to leave his computer for several days.

Essentially, the odds of an anti-Daftpanzer alliance forming were next to none, as Iggy's dedication to wiping out Terrance precluded any alliance-making efforts. Even if it hadn't been for the war between Terrance/Benefactor and Iggy, Iggy would have had little reason to join his erstwhile enemies, as his damaged state meant that he had little chance of improving his endgame position even with a strategically timed backstab. Iggy's eventual secret alliance and poorly-concealed tech sharing with Daftpanzer only sealed the deal, although the eventual runner-up would not be decided until the very last few days of Tau Marfark.

15. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

Yeah, mercy is for the strong.

16. Daftpanzer

I really did profit sneakily form those wars, stealing the benefits of battles others had fought. Then threw a hissy fit when Benefactor did the same :) remember he did nab a load of stars from Crezth and Starlife too.

I didn't have a grand strategy, just re-analysing things every day, and remembering enough from my first four games about when and how to make a decisive move.

17. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Also Benefactor, all of my preparations were predicated on a war against you and Terrance. Daft is correct, he probably would have gotten splattered against Jandor and ended up third, given Starlife's absorption of Zoomm11's core. My failure to recognize that fact is probably a contributing factor to my failure to foresee Daft's invasion of Starlife. At any rate, in a fight of Starlife/Daftpanzer/Iggy vs Terrance/Benefactor, all of my money is on the side with three people, and on myself emerging on top. All said and done, Daftpanzer played a fantastic game, from a disadvantageous starting position.

Also, Daft, you don't quite have the highest ratio. I have 75 points over 9 games, so 8.3 points per game, although this includes one 20-point 12 player game. You're at 25 points over 5 games, so 5.0 points per game right now. Wonderslime is actually leading at 10.0 points per game, although I believe that all of his 20 points come from a victory in our first 12-player match, Game Seven. At any rate, neither you nor Wonderslime have ever tasted the bitter tang of total removal from a game, like me in Game One.

And Wonderslime, it's not a parody. ;)

18. Benefactor

Benefactor Beneficial

The last hour :), Daftpanzer needed one star, which if he didn't do anything he would have taken from Terrance about 1 hour after I took 2nd place, not enough time for you to take a system back from me. In that last hour Daftpanzer launched a fleet at one of my stars with a travel time of about 40 minutes.
    It hit, I went back to 3rd place and the game ended. It was really close for Neptunes Pride.

Nothing to apologise for, it's how the game is played after all. I knew you were aiding Iggy with tech and I was guarding against a possible attack from you up until the last few days, at which point Iggys continued excellent defence and your attack on Terrance convinced me to start moving practically every ship to the front.

I had three fleets of 611 ships about 12 hours away and 3 fleets of 177 ships right on Iggys border when the game ended. I wonder how it would it have played out if I had committed more forces earlier.

Edit: I did like how Zoomm11 came back to ask me how I was doing and launch a token fleet against Daftpanzer :). He seemed like a nice guy.

19. Prospo

Prospo King

It seems Kappa Algieba is winding down the last players.

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Terrance and qoou are invading Prospo, Wonderslime and Iggy are invading qoou.