[GS] The Netherlands; should they be changed?

Netherlands should get a production boost towards Flood Barriers, or at least have them unlock much, much sooner. That shouldn't be too hard to implement.

And yes, buff Radio Oranje while you're at it. +1 loyalty from domestic trade routes, ammehoela. :nono:

Ammehoela : P I believe he was Afghan though : P

Radio Oranje could get a buff if they just let you simply cancel trade routes. Say you conquer a city and need 5 loyalty to stay afloat, so you quickly reroute some trade routes to it, until your city stabilizes.

Radio Oranje could get a buff if they just let you simply cancel trade routes. Say you conquer a city and need 5 loyalty to stay afloat, so you quickly reroute some trade routes to it, until your city stabilizes.

Hadn't thought of that. Historically it would make sense too!

I think the dutch Civ Ability and polders and De Zeven Provincien work well together (navy isn't always relevant, but those unique frigates are monsters.)
My biggest issue is that it is incredibly hard to get good polder adjacencies on the coastline because coastlines generate very straight in civ6; this means lakes are the best bet. Which is sad because sean bean implores us to turn coast land into farmland.
Radio oranje doesn't feel like it has much impact; the dutch are pretty powerful with the Grote Rivieren ability hitting all the boxes (science, culture, production) so it's not that they need more power, but it just feels so weak.

That said I would love to see them pick up double build speed for the flood barrier buildings, or unlock them earlier, or something. Like China's early canals. Or maybe you don't have to pay upkeep for flood barriers protecting tiles next to polders.

Unless... polders can be built on any flooded tile, in which case I would be very very happy to burn more coal :lol:

So, Vanilla and R&F civs are probably going to get balance patches after Gathering Storm's release. So there is still hope for The Netherlands. Seriously hope they get something thematic to link them to flooding. I mean, come on FXS!

So, Vanilla and R&F civs are probably going to get balance patches after Gathering Storm's release. So there is still hope for The Netherlands. Seriously hope they get something thematic to link them to flooding. I mean, come on FXS!

Ed implied on the livestream that they'll do most of the balancing in the time after release, once people have played with it. I have to image the Dutch would be prime targets to get something, since they do get penalized a bunch right now for building districts on rivers, with nothing to really counteract that. They can't really get immunity from flooding, since Egypt is getting that, but definitely I could see them give Polders something extra, even if they are already very powerful (even just something simple like any tile next to a polder is immune from rising sea levels). Although on the flipside, if they do nothing and the flooding mechanism actually let you build fresh polders on flooded tiles, that would actually help them a lot. They should be praying for rising sea levels to sneak in extra inland polders.

Do we have confirmation that the Netherlands have not been given another pass?

So, will rising sea levels really swallow up coastal tiles to disappear and leave polders sitting by themselves surround by water?

The polders are too situational to be a cornerstone. The trade route is what trade route UA bonuses tend to be: rubbish +1 bonuses that are about on par with what we can get from some policy card that tends to get passed on.

The river adjacency bonuses are the sole star.

Would tend to prefer to see the polders protect adjacent land from flooding.

Ed implied on the livestream that they'll do most of the balancing in the time after release, once people have played with it. I have to image the Dutch would be prime targets to get something, since they do get penalized a bunch right now for building districts on rivers, with nothing to really counteract that. They can't really get immunity from flooding, since Egypt is getting that, but definitely I could see them give Polders something extra, even if they are already very powerful (even just something simple like any tile next to a polder is immune from rising sea levels). Although on the flipside, if they do nothing and the flooding mechanism actually let you build fresh polders on flooded tiles, that would actually help them a lot. They should be praying for rising sea levels to sneak in extra inland polders.

I could see them getting production bonuses to Dams and Flood Barriers.

I could see them getting production bonuses to Dams and Flood Barriers.

Basically the only thing I had in mind too. Northing complicated or to much and it would feel really Dutch.

AmsterDAM and RotterDAM were literally build on/around Dams in the early medieval age. The Royal Palace (in game the Dutch palace) in Amsterdam is on Dam Square (in dutch literately just "de Dam").
And the Flood Barrier is even based on the Oosterscheldewering of the Delta works in the south west of our country and had a prominent role in the announcement movie.

Doesn’t seem like anything was changed about them in the press release build. Screenshots are in the livestream thread.

I’m sure @Eagle Pursuit mentioned that the coast is a bit more Polder friendly due to the map changes, which should help. Polders are really powerful if you can get a few together.

Production bonus to Dams would help out a lot.

And I’d love Radio Oranje to get a second look, I love the ideas of being able to change your trade routes at will. That would be a useful ability in itself and loyalty bonus would be cherry on top.

The boat is great in my opinion, I’ve wrecked some coastal cities with it when it comes along

Top Bottom