1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The new 2K launcher

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Paideia, May 21, 2020.

1. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

Am I the only one incredibly annoyed by the new laucnher.. Apart from my general annoyance at all these pointless launchers the sound effects are irritatingly loud.. And there's no option to turn them off.

2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I agree they are a total waste of time, not sure of the point.

nzcamel likes this.
  3. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

See that thread

4. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

Tried it.. Doesn't seem to work. I get a message with "Action was succesful" or something like it and then nothing..

Mind you, this is the new launcher. I saw it for the first time today..

5. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Should work, I've been bypassing it for over a year and didn't have any issues today either.

6. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

Odd.. Just tried it again and it still doesn't work. Have you bought the Frontier Pass already?

7. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Prince

I have just changed the Steam launch options for my game according to the instructions in the thread linked above by @Gedemon , and it's working brilliantly, no more annoying launcher.

8. lordfistas

lordfistas Chieftain

Still working, did that 5 mins ago for first time.

9. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Yes, the second it went up for sale. :mischief:

nzcamel likes this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

I thought I had the override going but clearly I don't. Hopefully I've got it working.

But... wow, the 2K Launcher looks ugly as sin. I don't know why they did it considering XCOM2, XCOM:CS and Civ VI are handled by Steam anyway. SEGA have one for TW and whilst that looks better, it seems equally pointless.

Myomoto likes this.
  11. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Launcher are like prices ending with 99. Moronic, but everyone uses it, because afraid not to.

Uberfrog, Myomoto and Elhoim like this.
  12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

Not really. There's nothing sinister about 2K Launcher, or nothing about it - on the surface, at least - that could be sinister.

But it's completely pointless when I need Steam to launch the game anyway. So I select Civ VI, launch it, launcher appears and gives me the option of XCOM 2, XCOM:CS and Civ VI. Why? Why do I need the facility to manage XCOM 2's mods out of the game when launching Civ VI?

13. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I agree it's tedious. On the bright side, you can skip steam by adding the launcher to your task bar.

14. Gyrofalcon

Gyrofalcon Warlord

If you have it as shortcut (desktop/taskbar/startmenu) to bypass Steam, doesn't Steam need to be running in the background anyway?
    I have used the Launch command for years. And after updating (no NFP or new DLC bought) it froze on "Loading, Please wait". Had no mods active.
    Had to clear the Launch command field, run the hideous new launcher, and then put in the Launcher parameters, then it works.
    But ends up with have to press "Continue" before I get the Civ6 menu.

Complain: The noise in the new Launcher!! For every button /mouse active field, it biped!! Annoying as ********!! And I have no interests in XCOM or other 2K games!! Now I defiantly wan't to buy them, not even on free weekend!

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  15. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I didn't say it was sinister. There's nothing sinister about marketing your products.

But, if receiveing negative feedback from your existing customers, there should be a solution that does what sales wants, without compromising the product.
    Civ6 is a complex game, which means its favored by people that want complex escapes from their daily routine. Excess information, unwanted information like launchers are what lazy marketing applies, under pressure from lazy sales trying to apply their dishwasher sales logic into computer gaming.

Yes, it would be harder to have separate launchers, but hey, deal with it.