1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The New American Age

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Grifguz, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Grifguz

Grifguz Warlord

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here and well, it's a bit of a long story that involves college, corrupted hard drives, lost disks, failed instillation attempts, and using the wrong github to install a copy of DoC.

Basically, about a year ago, my old computer flat out died on me and I lost everything I had on it. Never used cloud computing up to that point and all my saves and past civ's were gone for good. I got a new laptop and found out that I was missing half of the disks I needed to install Civ 4 on my laptop. After an exhaustive search, I found nothing and gave up for a while.

Finally a month later, I found all the disks and had a successful install. Two days later, I lost everything when my hard drive just up and died on this "pre-owned" laptop. So all that effort was gone yet AGAIN. Eventually, I decided just to pony up the money and buy it on Steam.

Anyway, enough about me! It's time to get to business. Since I have a lot more free time on my hands, I'm starting my first real story here, an RFC DoC America playthrough on marathon. Much like Royal Tenebaum's old playthrough, this will be interactive. You, yes YOU, will decide the fate of America in this IAAR. Elect Presidents, start wars, nuke Boston! It's all up to you.

Expect my first upload in a couple days at most.

Part One: Rebellion in the Colonies

2. Grifguz

Grifguz Warlord

The Thirteen Colonies
    1775 - Ever since the founding of the first settlements in what would become the United States of America, there was a certain amount of independence that the people who started a life in this new land possessed. To leave the Old World meant uprooting your live in favor of a completely new experience in a land that was foreign to you and filled with people who had different cultural traditions in comparison to yours. And yet, by the thousands, people left their homes and came to the colonies, even giving up their liberty for years just to pay for the trip. Such was the world that the people of the Thirteen Colonies lived in and it was also the starting point for the beginning of a new experiment in politics. Ever since the Albany Congress during the Seven Years' War, the Colonies had felt a stronger bond towards each other as opposed to their overseas protectors. The Intolerable Acts had only strengthened the nascent colony's resolve.

And now, in April 1775, after failed compromise and the passage of the Suffolk Resolves, a great many in this colony wanted to break free of their mother. Now began the Revolutionary War, the first crucible for the young nation.

3. Grifguz

Grifguz Warlord

In the early days of the revolution, the colonists fielded a rather small militia of volunteers. Following the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the American Revolution had begun. The Siege of Boston also started in Mid-April

General George Washington, a former Major in the British Army, led the Continental Army. Colonel Ethan Allen sucessfully captured Fort Ticonderoga in May of 1775, providing the Army with much needed siege equipment. In March of 1776, Boston would be evacuated by General William Howe, allowing the colonists to further secure their hold on the Colony.

At the same time, General Phillip Schuyler and General Richard Montgomery, both of New York, attempted to invade Quebec that winter. This failed spectacularly and Montgomery was killed. The remnants of the Continental Army was forced to retreat south.

Hard time were ahead for the young nation, but for now, the Colonies had accomplished a great feat in their victories against Great Britain.

4. Alexius08

Alexius08 Emperor

Is spawning at war against the owner of cities in your core the default option for America?

5. Atoll

Atoll Warlord

I will follow this.

6. Grifguz

Grifguz Warlord

Nope. I'm trying to do this in a more historical fashion. Hence, why I start with New York, but lack Boston. DoC doesn't have a Revolutionary War until 1777 and even then, you start with all the colonies.

New update incoming!

7. Grifguz

Grifguz Warlord

A Forge for the Young Nation
    1776 - The new year came to America during a period of optimism for the Revolution. General George Washington had consolidated his control of the Continental Army and in January, Thomas Paine anonymously published a pamphlet called, "Common Sense". It became the talk of every middle class and upper class colonist, from the most extreme patriot to the most loyal Tory. More and more of the Colony's scholars joined the Revolution. A lawyer by the name of John Jay joined the Judiciary in New York and would later become a key diplomat for the country. And Alexander Hamilton, an ardent patriot who had immigrated to America not but four years earlier, served under the command of General Washington as a Captain in the Continental Army. But within a few months, the exuberance would be replaced by an abyss of darkness threatening the Revolution.

Boston was now under control by American forces in March. A huge success for the Revolution, yet Great Britain would response by striking at the heart of the country.

Relations with the Kingdom of France were established quickly. Louis XVI was skeptical of aiding the Revolution at first, but in time, he would come around to supporting it wholeheartedly.

The same could be said with the Spanish Empire, although their support would be far less than that of France. Nevertheless, it would be key in helping arm the Continental Army.

Georgia and South Carolina joined the rest of the colonies in rebellion in late 1775. General Henry Clinton would attempt to recapture the port in 1776, but to no avail. Despite strong loyalist leanings, the South was now in the Patriot's camp, no doubt because of the support of slave owners such as Thomas Jefferson and potential fears regarding British abolitionists. How slavery would be dealt with by the new nation was still up for debate.

Having been expelled from Boston, General Howe now focused his attention on New York. In June and July of 1776, he initiated the New York and New Jersey campaign, aimed at capturing both New York City and New Jersey to the south. Washington could not defend New York City forever and unfortunately, he had to withdraw. At the same time, the Declaration of Independence, a document proclaiming the sovereignty of the colonies from Great Britain, was promulgated by the Continental Congress. This move marked a watershed moment for the colonies. Now, these colonies would be united and become a new nation.

The fall of New York and the subsequent campaign in New Jersey took a toll on the Continental Army. By December, Washington had to repulse the combined forces of Hessians from the state of Hesse and British Redcoats in order to secure his position. The Battle of Trenton, a stealth attack over the Christmas holiday, resulted in the routing of the Hessians under Johann Rall, saving Washington and the Continental Army from a potential crisis.

Even so, the fall of New York demoralized many patriots and the fate of the Revolution hung in the balance.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  8. ttfno

ttfno Chieftain

More? Plus what mod is this?

9. Grifguz

Grifguz Warlord

The Winter of Discontent
    1777-1778 - So far, the United States has endured much during its war for independence. But the challenges of these two years will be the toughest in the Revolution's history. Up until now, the Continental Army has been able to withstand the British in the Colonies and retreat to more substantial defenses. But now, the British Empire will unleash a new campaign that will threaten Washington's Army.

In 1777, Generals William Howe and Henry Clinton began an offensive with the intention of occupying Philadelphia and forcing Washington to evacuate from his position near Valley Forge.

The British possessed less manpower than the Colonials, but they were better trained and had better equipment. This gave them an advantage at the Battle of Brandywine, where they were able to lose less than half the men the Continental Army lost.

Giving some comfort to Washington was the decisive victory at Saratoga in October. General John Burgoyne was encircled and forced to surrender. Over 6000 redcoats were taken as POW's. This gave Washington a little more breathing room. But there would be no rest for his army nor could he celebrate. The next few months would test all of his willpower.

Brandywine resulted in an inconclusive result and thus, Philadelphia had to be evacuated. Approximately two weeks after the battle itself, Philadelphia fell. This was a major blow to the Revolution and as a result, Washington had to fall back to Valley Forge for the winter.

The Winter at Valley Forge, as it would later be known, would lead to thousands of deaths and desertions from the Continental Army. Unlike 1776, there was no victory to placate many of the restless regulars in the Army, many of which were worried about their finances as they hadn't been paid in months. It was at this moment that General Washington was at his weakest. However, a Prussian General named Friedrich Heinrich would help train the Army during the bitter winter. This greatly increased the discipline of Washington's Army.

After the brutal winter, the Continental Army remained intact and within several months, now posed a direct threat to British Philadelphia. On June 28th, 1778, Washington engaged Howe at the Battle of Monmouth. The battle itself was inconclusive, largely due to the failure of General Charles Lee to effectively lead his army. But the British retreated to New York as a result of the battle.