The New FFH Models

WarKirby

Arty person
If you take a glance at the release notes for the next FFH patch, you'll see quite a few new unique models being added, all of which look great.

Will we be able to get these models in FF, by simply installing the FFH patch, or do you guys have to do something special to include them? Will they appear in existing games, or would new ones have to be started?

It depends on how they were added. If no XML was adjusted (they created the new model with the same name and location as the old one) then it will automatically join FF if you install over a FfH version which already had it (at the time of initial installation of FF).

Very few of the new models fit this requirement though. So the majority require that you manually edit the Art Defines.

Once incorporated though, they would appear the next time you loaded the game.

if you install over a FfH version which already had it (at the time of initial installation of FF).

This confuses me. Does this mean I'd have to uninstall and reinstall FF, to get the new art (after installing the FFH patch)?

Very few of the new models fit this requirement though. So the majority require that you manually edit the Art Defines.

Where are these located? What parts would I have to change? Can you give a little more detail, if possible?

This confuses me. Does this mean I'd have to uninstall and reinstall FF, to get the new art (after installing the FFH patch)?

Since installing FF copies all your FfH files to the FF directory first you will get anything that your latest version of FfH had. That would work perfectly if none of the file names changed (so how FF was referencing it stays the same).

But, as Xienwolf mentioned, all of the new models have changed names so it will take an updated FF patch to change the references.

Where are these located? What parts would I have to change? Can you give a little more detail, if possible?

The change is in the CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml file. Thats what switched form the old model name to the new model name.

Instead of a completely new installation of Fall Further though, you could just copy the Assets/Art folder from FfH2 into FF, then re-apply our latest patch. At initial installation the Art folder SHOULD be comletely empty, since having things loaded into a PAK file means the game loads faster from the desktop.

I've tried using winmerge to merge the artdefines, as instructed elsewhere, but there are so many differences, and quite a few places where things are simply in a different order, it's a nightmare trying to dig through it all.

I seem to have finally gotten one of the models working. Now to just repeat that 99999999999 times for all the new ones. I exaggerate a little, but it's a bit much to expect everyone to do this.

Can we expect a new FF patch to update the artdefines soon?

I seem to have finally gotten one of the models working. Now to just repeat that 99999999999 times for all the new ones. I exaggerate a little, but it's a bit much to expect everyone to do this.

Can we expect a new FF patch to update the artdefines soon?

Aye - it'd be a bit much for everyone to do it. Would really only require it to be done once and then included in the patch. If you have done so and have an ArtDefines that includes all the changes - please post it and I'll be very happy to use that :D

Otherwise, it's basically going to be a case of doing the same thing ourselves - which as you mentioned might take a little while. It is due to be done, but we're currently mostly looking at making the game "smarter and faster" rather than "prettier" (though I do like the look of the new models a lot).

I started on doing it myself, but hit a few stumbling blocks.

Just replacing some of the existing units, was working fine. I got chalid, donal, etc, working. But some of the new models didn't have a unique entry in the FF artdefine. Specifically, the new bannor champion, and the mercurian Ophanim. I tried copying in the new parts in the art define, but the default model still shows ingame.

Here are the files. I started it last evening without knowing that someone was trying to do it already.
The problem with the Ophanim was this: In the UnitInfos.xml it is said that the game should take the graphics from art_def_war_chariot. This should be art_def_ophanim.
I am not sure whether I got every unit, but the most are in. Just replace the old files with those in the rar.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is necessary, that you have applied patch z to Fall from Heaven 2, before installing the core Fall Further modmod! Otherwise it couldn't work!

Attachments

• ffh.rar
    77.8 KB · Views: 93
Hey Black Whole, I installed this and had a look. Seems all the units are there, great.. But the buildings aren't.

Don't suppose you care to do those too?

15. New Sidar Palace model (from Kohan II, compliments of Walter Hawkwood).
16. New Doviello Palace model (from Kohan II, compliments of Walter Hawkwood).
17. New Guild of the Nine model (from Kohan II, compliments of Walter Hawkwood).
18. New Svartalfar Palace model (from Kohan II, compliments of Walter Hawkwood).
19. New Infernal Palace model (from Kohan II, compliments of Walter Hawkwood).
20. New Spider Pen model (from Kohan II, compliments of Walter Hawkwood).
25. New Dwarven Smithy model (from Kohan II).
26. New Pallens Engine model (from Kohan II).
27. New Adularia Chamber model (from Kohan II).
28. New Temple of Kilmorph model (from Kohan II).
29. New Tablets of Bambur model (from Kohan II).
30. New Blasting Workshop model (from Kohan II).
31. New Soul Forge model (from Kohan II).
32. New Temple of the Order model (from Kohan II).
33. New Code of Junil model (from Kohan II).
34. New Stigmata on the Unborn model (from Kohan II).
35. New Temple of the Veil model (from Kohan II).

Ok, here we go.

It's just one file. Was simpler than I thought. IT goes in Assets/XML/Art

Attachments

• CIV4ArtDefines_Building.zip
    14.5 KB · Views: 77
So I just copy these over the FF050 files or am I missing something?

This double post brought to you by the letter W, T and F...

Ok, here we go.

Here are the files. I started it last evening without knowing that someone was trying to do it already.
The problem with the Ophanim was this: In the UnitInfos.xml it is said that the game should take the graphics from art_def_war_chariot. This should be art_def_ophanim.
I am not sure whether I got every unit, but the most are in. Just replace the old files with those in the rar.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is necessary, that you have applied patch z to Fall from Heaven 2, before installing the core Fall Further modmod! Otherwise it couldn't work!

I love this community :D

Thanks guys :goodjob:

Ok, here we go.

Very good! It was getting late yesterday, so I didn't manage to include the buildings too... (The problem with the Ophanim took over an hour until I found the solution ;) )

So I just copy these over the FF050 files or am I missing something?

Yup, it's that easy. Just find the location of the files in the XML directory and replace them with the new ones.

Vehem might want to consider linking these files in the main download thread.

@Black Whole & WarKirby

Thanks a lot guys. The attached file just combines your files in patch format so for those who don't know where the files should go and are too lazy to search the folders they can extract this into the mods folder (where FF is installed).:D

Top Bottom