The New G.O.P. Showdown Threat

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
The New G.O.P. Showdown Threat

Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama announced with great gravity the other day that Republicans had decided not to impeach President Obama over his plan to allow millions of immigrants to remain in this country without fear of deportation through his executive authority. But that concession is not the end of the matter. He is planning much more serious mischief: using Congress’s power of the purse to pressure the White House into backing off.

Condemning the immigration action as “unlawful,” Mr. Sessions says he and other Republicans may filibuster any attempt to pay for government operations through the full fiscal year, which ends Oct. 1. Instead, he wants to pay for government through a series of short-term bills, possibly month to month, with each one trying to overturn Mr. Obama’s actions.

That raises the possibility of a budget shutdown fight every month for nearly a year. And Mr. Sessions’ voice will count in that fight — he is in line to be the new chairman of the Budget Committee.

Some Republican leaders, including the next majority leader, Senator Mitch McConnell, have tried to take a loftier position, saying they want a full year’s spending bill to avert a widespread shutdown. Nonetheless, they are seriously considering using short-term bills to pay for immigration enforcement. That approach is an implicit and reckless threat to close down immigration agencies to prevent them from issuing work permits to immigrants.

In the House, Speaker John Boehner has refused to rule out the possibility of threatening either a narrow or a full-scale shutdown to get Mr. Obama to back off his plans. Did Mr. Boehner learn nothing from the 16-day shutdown the House imposed on the country in October 2013? That deeply irresponsible act — a futile tantrum aimed at the health reform law — harmed hundreds of thousands of government employees, along with countless citizens who depend on important programs. It hurt the reputation of the country, and particularly that of the House and the Republican Party.

Still, he has decided not to anger the most extreme wing of his party, which is agitating for obstruction. When one prominent House Republican — Harold Rogers, chairman of the Appropriations Committee — pointed out that these tactics probably wouldn’t work because many immigration services are funded by fees, not appropriations, he was shouted down by House leaders, who said that he was not speaking for them.

Mr. Obama would presumably veto any spending bill that damages the immigration system or domestic security, at which point Republicans would no doubt blame any resulting shutdown on him. As Senator Ted Cruz of Texas wrote recently in Politico, “If the President is unwilling to accept funding for, say, the Department of Homeland Security without his being able to unilaterally defy the law, he alone will be responsible for the consequences.”

When Congress returns on Monday, it will have only a few business days to choose its approach before the current spending bill runs out on Dec. 11. To be the “mature governing body” that some Republicans promised, Congress needs to pass a full year’s spending bill for every department, along the lines of the bipartisan budget agreement approved last December.

Once Republicans take over both houses of Congress next year, they have every right to pass an immigration bill of their choosing, which Mr. Obama would have a right to veto. But threatening to shut down the government or any part of it to achieve their aims is outrageous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/28/o...n-region&WT.nav=c-column-top-span-region&_r=0

If wonder if the TeaParty will push for another Government shutdown(s).

The Republicans have really REALLY dug themselves into a huge hole with repeated obstruction when they were the minority, Do they expect Democrats wont remember what they have done ? Perhaps the Republicans are counting on the Democrats being spineless and not to employ the very same tactics now they are in the minority.

Knowing Obama, he will probably give the Republicans 98% of what they want again. (Kinda sad, but better then another depression)

Wait a minute...

Aren't these the same guys who were saying Obama was responsible for government shutdowns? Now they are publicly admitting it's a Republican tactic?

Well, all we need is to create the illusion they're the only left in a city called "Washington DC", and thus controlling everything, when in fact we'll rule like kings from an unspecified city on the Eastern Seaboard!

I think their intention is to drive everyone else out.

The south will fight another civil war to STOP the north form seceding from the Union.
Then they will shutdown the Federal government for once and for all !

Monthly government shutdowns sounds fun.

The south will fight another civil war to STOP the north form seceding from the Union.
Then they will shutdown the Federal government for once and for all !

Monthly government shutdowns sounds fun.

I actually meant the Tea Party crazies intend to drive all the other crazies out of the GOP. I think most of the rational people already left. But another south vs north thing might be interesting I guess.

Alternatively, Michael Bay will reconquer the entire USA starting from California, while blowing up dramatically the Hoover Dam.

As seen in Fallout.

What is this damage that the last shutdown caused Republicans?
Did they win the midterms less big than they should have?

There are better ways to get back at Obama than defunding something and having some more fun government shutdowns.
They should refuse to invite him to deliver the State of the Union.
A huge slap to his ego. :D
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/will-the-gop-scrap-obamas-state-the-union-address

“Yes, there’s a risk to overreacting, but there’s a risk to underreacting as well,” said Rich Lowry, the editor of National Review. “And I fear that’s the way the congressional leadership is leaning.”

Mr. Lowry suggested one way Congress could react. “If I were John Boehner,” he said, referring to the House speaker, “I’d say to the president: ‘Send us your State of the Union in writing. You’re not welcome in our chamber.’”

Lowry may not dictate GOP decision making the way Limbaugh and Fox News do, but it’s important to note that he isn’t the only one publicly pushing the idea.

Politico reported yesterday that congressional Republicans are weighing a variety of tactics to “address” their disgust over Obama’s immigration policy, and “GOP aides and lawmakers” are considering the idea of “refusing to invite the president to give his State of the Union address.”

Late last week, Breitbart News also ran a piece of its own on the subject: “Congress should indicate to President Obama that his presence is not welcome on Capitol Hill as long as his ‘executive amnesty’ remains in place. The gesture would, no doubt, be perceived as rude, but it is appropriate.”

For the record, I rather doubt Republican leaders will go this far. Indeed, if they seriously pursued the idea, GOP officials would risk a backlash that would help, not hurt, the White House.

That said, don’t be too surprised if this talk grows louder between now and the big speech.

Risk a backlash.
What the MSM says when the Republicans go up against the Democrats every. single. time.

They should send a drone at him. They can then blame it on robots. Or rogue Russian agents taking over our drones. Or, maybe, rogue Edward Snowden using his insider knowledge to show that Obama has an ISIS flag or hell knows what.

Republicans aren't known for being reasonable.

Dunno. My main gripe with the Democrats is that, fundamentally, the only reason anyone likes them is because they're not the Republicans.

They're the same side of a same coin; I'm sure that somewhere there's freaks who would make Teaheadists pale. Who knows, maybe we are these people. Somewhere, around a several thousand kilometers, there is a certain forum who is currently demeaning us the very same way we currenly are doing.

Please name 5 things you disagree with the Democrats about.
If anyone else in the thread wants to do so, I'd appreciate that also. :)

1. Refusing to make Spanish an official co-language of the United States

2. Not funding the Holiday Bowl so as to help in the War on Christmas

3. Wanting to close Gitmo when we have an overflow in the FEMA camps that can be transferred there

4. Allowing infringements on the right t bears arms such as prohibitions on felons possessing

5. Too strictly construing the 3rd Amendment and not testing the government's limits on infringing on the right.

Please name 5 things you disagree with the Democrats about.
If anyone else in the thread wants to do so, I'd appreciate that also. :)

1) Where are the death panels that Obama promised ?
2) How come Obama is only good at appeasing Muslims, Terrorist and Illegals but not Republicans ?
3) How long dose it take to destroy American from within its been 6 years and Obama hasnt done a good job destroying the US economy and flushing US lives on overseas adventures.
4) What happened to Ebola ISIS Epidemic that would kill us ALL that Obama Promised ?
5) Why cant the Emperor use an executive order to stop the Republicans from being so stupid ?
6) Where is my promised crack down destroying the 2nd amendment ?
7) The Antichrist Obama sure is slow at bring about the Apocalypse (See sig)

Thanks Obama :mad:

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, Obama doesn't sound too.. empirical. Like, it's not a name you'd think it deserves the title "Emperor". Maybe Augustus Barrackus Obama would be a positive change.

Wait a minute...

Aren't these the same guys who were saying Obama was responsible for government shutdowns? Now they are publicly admitting it's a Republican tactic?

Do recall, these are the same liars who claim that Obama was unwilling to negotiate on healthcare. Or really any other issue. They live in their own reality, and it has nothing to do with the real world.

Doubleplusungood on you, Cutlass.

Top Bottom