The new Q&A confirmed 4U for each civ

xxhe

Prince
https://www.facebook.com/civ/videos/vb.117631940358/10154143011620359/?type=2&theater

Ed mentioned that there will be a UU and a UI/UB (or even unique district) attached to each civilization. And there will be two other unique bonuses attatched to the leader.

For example, Rough Ride is attached to Teddy, while P51 and Film Studio to US.
The ability of builder + 1 charge and being able to rush wonders is era-limited (Ancient and Classical only), therefore it is attached to Qin, not China.

The real UA of US and China are yet to be announced.

This means potential for multi-leader civs, although I don't have we'll have them in Vanilla. Probably that's a room for expansions or just a tool for modders.

More likely that it's a tool for modders, I would be surprised if they were to add leaders to a Civ instead of creating new Civs, as it's the amount of work for the Art Team but would mean that they get to implement less Civilizations.

But I'm very happy with how they split it up, sounds like all Civs get a more "complete" set of tools.

The Leaders' Uniques are looking nice and strong. I can't wait to see what the Civs' UAs are like.

On a side note, I really hope this time Civilopedia will display civ and leader abilities on the same page. In Civ5 this was awful.

More likely that it's a tool for modders, I would be surprised if they were to add leaders to a Civ instead of creating new Civs, as it's the amount of work for the Art Team but would mean that they get to implement less Civilizations.

But I'm very happy with how they split it up, sounds like all Civs get a more "complete" set of tools.

The Deluxe Edition info says that the post release DLC will contain both civs AND leaders. So...

Well, each Civ comes with a leader.

Although it's true that 4 dlcs are mentioned, and then 4 categories (maps, scenarios, civilizations, leaders), so that may indeed be a hint, but if they do indeed add leaders for existing Civs I would still find it to be a questionable decision.

I really, really hope this means that they will add multiple leaders to some civs, even if only as minor DLC that comes later. Having an official, Firaxis-produced Ramesses II or Hatshepsut would completely erase my irritation that they've gone back to Cleopatra to represent Ancient Egypt.

It doesn't seem that far-fetched to me, honestly. The Civ IV expansions came not only with new civs, but with a few additional leaders for pre-existing civs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Civ VI shipped with only one leader per civ, but DLCs came out later that might add Ramesses II, or Ashoka, or Abraham Lincoln, etc., where certain uniques remained the same regardless of which leader spawned this time around, while others were attached to the specific leader. It would add a lot in terms of flavor and replayability.

(And, while this is obviously asking too much, I would love it if some alternate leaders actually came with alternate names and city lists. Imagine Cleopatra having Alexandria as the capital while Ramesses II has Thebes. Or Elizabeth I ruling "England", with all English cities in the list, while Victoria rules a "Great Britain" with Welsh and Scottish cities, but the two civs share half their uniques and won't spawn in the same game--because they're alternate versions of the same civ. That kind of feature would open up so many possibilities that could make the experience richer than any previous game. . . .)

I really, really hope this means that they will add multiple leaders to some civs, even if only as minor DLC that comes later. Having an official, Firaxis-produced Ramesses II or Hatshepsut would completely erase my irritation that they've gone back to Cleopatra to represent Ancient Egypt.

It doesn't seem that far-fetched to me, honestly. The Civ IV expansions came not only with new civs, but with a few additional leaders for pre-existing civs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Civ VI shipped with only one leader per civ, but DLCs came out later that might add Ramesses II, or Ashoka, or Abraham Lincoln, etc., where certain uniques remained the same regardless of which leader spawned this time around, while others were attached to the specific leader. It would add a lot in terms of flavor and replayability.

(And, while this is obviously asking too much, I would love it if some alternate leaders actually came with alternate names and city lists. Imagine Cleopatra having Alexandria as the capital while Ramesses II has Thebes. Or Elizabeth I ruling "England", with all English cities in the list, while Victoria rules a "Great Britain" with Welsh and Scottish cities, but the two civs share half their uniques and won't spawn in the same game--because they're alternate versions of the same civ. That kind of feature would open up so many possibilities that could make the experience richer than any previous game. . . .)

I would love to see this type of DLC implemented.

Well, each Civ comes with a leader.

Although it's true that 4 dlcs are mentioned, and then 4 categories (maps, scenarios, civilizations, leaders), so that may indeed be a hint, but if they do indeed add leaders for existing Civs I would still find it to be a questionable decision.

As long as it doesn't limit alternative additional content, why ever not? If we assume 9ish civ per expansion and the standard model of two expansions, that takes us to 36 separate viva. Then alternate DLC between new civ and new leader, to give some more niche leaders, Civs and gameplay styles attention. In civ V they said the main limiting factor wasn't the leader screens and how long it took to animate them, but it's been six years, so I imagine they are well practices and technology has come along to make it all easier. Should be fine, and make for some interesting gameplay variations :D

There are quite good reasons NOT to add new leaders for existing civs:

1. A lot of work on leaders without that much output.

2. More difficult to balance (civilization could be different enough to fit various playstyles, but multiple leaders for the same civ need to be balanced with each other).

3. Less Civ specialization. Take China, for example. Wonder agenda is tied to leader, so additional Worker charge and ability to speed up early Wonders are his. On the other hand, China unique improvement, Great Wall, benefits greatly from this additional Worker charge. So whichever the new leader will be, he/she is unlikely to be as good fit as Qin Shi Huang.

If you're going to have traits tied to leaders it only makes sense to have multiple leaders as options- otherwise... why bother?

If you're going to have traits tied to leaders it only makes sense to have multiple leaders as options- otherwise... why bother?

To support modders, in the first place.

Generally it's always better to make new civ instead of new leader for existing civ:
- The work is not much bigger (the leader visuals and audio, all the balance work is the same), while results are significantly better.
- There are more interesting civilization in history than it's possible to cover with a single game.

However, the way China is implemented (all Winder-related things are tied to leader) makes me think developers consider multiple leaders, at least as possibility.

There are quite good reasons NOT to add new leaders for existing civs:

1. A lot of work on leaders without that much output.

2. More difficult to balance (civilization could be different enough to fit various playstyles, but multiple leaders for the same civ need to be balanced with each other).

3. Less Civ specialization. Take China, for example. Wonder agenda is tied to leader, so additional Worker charge and ability to speed up early Wonders are his. On the other hand, China unique improvement, Great Wall, benefits greatly from this additional Worker charge. So whichever the new leader will be, he/she is unlikely to be as good fit as Qin Shi Huang.

Do we have confirmation Qin's unique trait is both wonder rushing AND extra builder charge? Could it not be that China's UA is the extra charge and Qin's trait is the wonder rushing?

Do we have confirmation Qin's unique trait is both wonder rushing AND extra builder charge? Could it not be that China's UA is the extra charge and Qin's trait is the wonder rushing?

I didn't listen to the QA session, so I can't confirm.

This was how it worked in Civ 5 too, the trait was attached to the leader and the other unique stuff was attached to the civ.

https://www.facebook.com/civ/videos/vb.117631940358/10154143011620359/?type=2&theater

Ed mentioned that there will be a UU and a UI/UB (or even unique district) attached to each civilization. And there will be two other unique bonuses attatched to the leader.

For example, Rough Ride is attached to Teddy, while P51 and Film Studio to US.
The ability of builder + 1 charge and being able to rush wonders is era-limited (Ancient and Classical only), therefore it is attached to Qin, not China.

The real UA of US and China are yet to be announced.

P sure the civs have 3 uniques (uu, ui, ua) , and each leader has their own time sensitive unique trait?

China's UA is NOT the extra charge. It seems that it's Qin's solely.

Here's a very rambling and cut transcript from:
28 minutes and ending around 30ish minutes.
//////////////
So the key fact that you need to understand
How many unique bonuses
So I want to explain that now most important piece of information
there are four unique elements
the civilization as a whole as a unique ability. not tied into specific era, beneift throughtout entire game
China:
builder's extra charge and apply to wonder; it only applies to ancient and classical era, not civ ability, but it's Qin's around time period of leader. Its not a civ ability.
china has another civ ability, not revealed today
but because we have a limited time window... so tied to Qin
Two unique abilities for every civ.... (talks about america now)
/////////////

Honestly I don't quite see how the workers will only have 4 charges in the classical era and then lose a charge in the renaissance era???

Top Bottom