The new Unique Governor should be Aeneas

TheSpaceCowboy

The Gangster of Love
I’ve not heard the possibly raised, but I’m personally hopefully that the much-rumored Unique Governor proves to be Aeneas for the Phoenician Civilization. I’ve sketched out some possible promotions for him, in no particular order:

Progenitor of Rome
  • +50% production to Settlers. Cities founded by these Settlers begin with a Monument and connect back to this city via road if within trade route distance (default title)
Escape from Ilium
  • Civilian units produced in this city cannot be captured by enemy Civilizations, City-States, or Barbarians
Search for Italy
  • Scouts produced in this city gain additional visibility when surveying terra incognita
Neptune’s notice
  • Ships produced in this city are immune from damages from storms
Betrayal of Dido
  • +10 Combat Strength to units produced in this city against units from former Allies who have betrayed Phoenicia or whom Phoenicia betrays
Shade of Anchises
  • +100% production in this city to all Districts, Buildings, Wonders, and Units, from Technologies and Civics further along the tech tree than the current World Era

I think he's a bit too drawn from mythology for my tastes at least insofar as Civ VI is concerned. I personally hope Suleiman or Eleanor get the unique governor.

If Firaxis does this, Gilgamesh will no longer be the thing I hate most about Civ6. :p Picking Dido is bad enough--her names, both Dido and Elissa, look Phoenician, meaning that she's probably originally from some lost Phoenician source, but the only attestations of her that have survived to modern times are Greek and Roman. Giving her a mythical Roman as a unique governor would just be...ugh. Might as well give Victoria a unique governor named Brutus of Troy. (The other problem is more a matter of what's thematic. There are a dozen or so civs for whom a unique governor would make sense, but the Phoenicians aren't one of them. The Phoenicians had no central government and therefore no governors; every city-state was a polity unto itself.) I'm personally hopeful that the choice to call the civilization "Phoenicia" rather than "Carthage" means that it won't show a trace of Hellenization or Romanization or "enemy of Rome" mentality; if it shows any foreign influence, it should look to the east to Babylon and Persia.

Nah, they'd probably just have Hannibal be the unique governor, if they went with that.
I'm expecting them to have Ottomans be the civilization with the unique governor, though, and it'll probably be one of their governors of Egypt.

Top Bottom