The Next NES of Das: Development Thread

das

Regeneration In Process
Now before I say anything else... don't get excited. The next NES mentioned in the title likely wouldn't come any time soon. In fact we will be lucky if it begins at some point in this July. My schedule is likely to be very unstable even then, so I really cannot make any promises.

But we all knew and know that sooner or later, I will be compelled to mod again. And frankly, I still have no idea as to what I should do. I have some ideas for settings, but I will almost certainly come up with new ones and tweak existant ones, and it goes without saying that I am yet to really choose between them. And what about the rules?

And then there are stats and so forth. In other words, development will take time, so I might as well start now, as welll as accept and encourage contributions from the plebs my fellow NESers.

Anyhow:

Setting (ideas for):
- NES2 VII, an althist NES like all the other NES2s, based on this guess-the-PoD map: which most of you already know and remember. It strikes me as a generally pretty good setting for a modernish NES, with many interesting nations and possibilities, and a fairly different geopolitical setup when compared to what we usually see in modern NESes (no Russia ever existed, Australia and the Canada-equivalent are great powers, the sun never sets on the Portuguese empire, neither India nor China nor even Africa are fully colonised and so on);
- Advanced Fresh Start. This isn't an idea of my own, nor is it really new; people create some nations and I blitz them through milleniums in several proto-updates, with limited (mostly BT-level) guidance, until we reach a late Middle Ages equivalent or something. As I said, the idea isn't new, it has been tried before, but for one reason or another it never came to fruition or lived for long beyond it. Which is a shame, because it is, in my mind, a very good idea, and if executed properly could be very fun. So I would really like to try that one myself, if there's enough popular support. If this works I might be creating yet another monster of a NES style (that would be a second, or maybe a third, commented he without any false modesty);
- ITNES II - another fresh start, possibly with some nice twists;
- ITNES I IT V and NES2 VI IT III? Sorry, I really don't have a lot of ideas as to what more could be done there (especially as compared to the other options), and the latter in particular is already divided by three friendly superpowers;
- An idea that has been nagging me a bit is the setting of the infamously short-lived NES2 IV, taken through an exciting two decades of impericide and global chaos and then given over to the NESers for reconstruction and more chaos still. There might actually be some merit in this idea, but how many people would actually be interested in that?

The first two ideas are obviously my favourites at present. I'm very much torn between them.

Rules (thoughts about; unless said otherwise, I'm using the ITNES I incarnation two rules as a base for those):
- I probably will have to get rid of the prestige stat, because objectively speaking it was pretty stupid of me to even conceive it in the first place. Ah well;
- On the other hand, the descriptive cultures and governments worked quite to my satisfaction;
- The age system in Technology Level doesn't seem to express all that much except for major gaps; perhaps a descriptive system (seeing as that has been working out quite well for me) is in order? On the flip side, it would be very detailed, but somehow I don't think Symphony D. or Disenfrancised, for instance, would mind that much;
- More detailed military? Nah. :p Although, maybe some sort of an additional descriptive stat for military composition (quality, organisation, leadership, base unit type, equipment and all other information that people PMed me about previously) might be in order; its not like this information was ever secret either in a NES or in RL;
- On a somewhat related note, wars would generally be easier for us all to manage if all the nations had general military doctrines (which would remain secret, but will be kept by me in a separate file and passed on to a new player taking a nation) from the first turn of the NES on. That's tactics, strategy and everything else; you would be able to make adjustments to it if you want, both within the doctrne itself and for specific situations, but generally it would be very convenient for us all to be able to refer to this doctrine;
- Troops on the maps - I'm honestly not sure what ended up as more time-consuming, placing said troops or answering PMs about their locations. Perhaps more generalised army and navy icons (of different but still fairly generalised sizes) could be used instead, with an understandment that more precise numbers are hard to get, especially with rotation, replacements, reinforcements and other such processes?
- Economy. Simple and usual though the economy level system may be, the arguments for the more complex sectorised system are convincing. Other issues are those of economic centres (I'll probably just adapt the same approach as in ITNES, though, leaving trade centres that don't magically generate income by themselves but still are significant for actual trade) and of economic regions (which are also increasingly widespread, but strike me as a bit too complex). Really, I'm out of my depth here, so I'll particularily appreciate suggestions here;
- Other ideas worth stealing include a Population stat (which will function as the Size stat for things like Education and would have some obvious, though probably not mathematical, influence on economy and military) and a periphery system (like in the sadly short-lived DisNES, for autonomous regions and effectively autonomous colonies);
- I'm sure I forgot something here - any other nice ideas?

Also, a newer map might or might not be in order; discuss. If we go with my althist setting but pick a new map, I will need a volunteer to transfer it there.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc? Silly polar bear vs. penguin stories? Portraits of random 18th century Russian nobles? The former, at least, are definitely welcome.

Going down the list:

das said:
- NES2 VII, an althist NES like all the other NES2s, based on this guess-the-PoD map: http://forums.civfanatics.com/attach...3&d=1177933349 which most of you already know and remember. It strikes me as a generally pretty good setting for a modernish NES, with many interesting nations and possibilities, and a fairly different geopolitical setup when compared to what we usually see in modern NESes (no Russia ever existed, Australia and the Canada-equivalent are great powers, the sun never sets on the Portuguese empire, neither India nor China nor even Africa are fully colonised and so on);
Sure, why not? Seems people were interested in that anyway.

- Advanced Fresh Start. This isn't an idea of my own, nor is it really new; people create some nations and I blitz them through milleniums in several proto-updates, with limited (mostly BT-level) guidance, until we reach a late Middle Ages equivalent or something. As I said, the idea isn't new, it has been tried before, but for one reason or another it never came to fruition or lived for long beyond it. Which is a shame, because it is, in my mind, a very good idea, and if executed properly could be very fun. So I would really like to try that one myself, if there's enough popular support. If this works I might be creating yet another monster of a NES style (that would be a second, or maybe a third, commented he without any false modesty);
No. Reasons classified.

No strong opinion.

- ITNES I IT V and NES2 VI IT III? Sorry, I really don't have a lot of ideas as to what more could be done there (especially as compared to the other options), and the latter in particular is already divided by three friendly superpowers;
No and no. Interesting though it my be for myself in either, it wouldn't be interesting for other people without heavy penalties in either to the ruling powers.

- An idea that has been nagging me a bit is the setting of the infamously short-lived NES2 IV, taken through an exciting two decades of impericide and global chaos and then given over to the NESers for reconstruction and more chaos still. There might actually be some merit in this idea, but how many people would actually be interested in that?
No strong opinion.

- I probably will have to get rid of the prestige stat, because objectively speaking it was pretty stupid of me to even conceive it in the first place. Ah well;
As implemented, it was useless. No loss.

- The age system in Technology Level doesn't seem to express all that much except for major gaps; perhaps a descriptive system (seeing as that has been working out quite well for me) is in order? On the flip side, it would be very detailed, but somehow I don't think Symphony D. or Disenfrancised, for instance, would mind that much;
Sure. I've never liked ages.

- More detailed military? Nah. Although, maybe some sort of an additional descriptive stat for military composition (quality, organisation, leadership, base unit type, equipment and all other information that people PMed me about previously) might be in order; its not like this information was ever secret either in a NES or in RL;
I am in favor of generic units appropriate to the age, as in staznesIX or JSNES03, but that's not terribly surprising given I engineered both. More on this at the end of the post.

- On a somewhat related note, wars would generally be easier for us all to manage if all the nations had general military doctrines (which would remain secret, but will be kept by me in a separate file and passed on to a new player taking a nation) from the first turn of the NES on. That's tactics, strategy and everything else; you would be able to make adjustments to it if you want, both within the doctrne itself and for specific situations, but generally it would be very convenient for us all to be able to refer to this doctrine;
I always liked this in DNES, and I would be in favor of its return.

- Troops on the maps - I'm honestly not sure what ended up as more time-consuming, placing said troops or answering PMs about their locations. Perhaps more generalised army and navy icons (of different but still fairly generalised sizes) could be used instead, with an understandment that more precise numbers are hard to get, especially with rotation, replacements, reinforcements and other such processes?
Why not? It's rather hard to know where everything is without spy planes or satellites. Knowing generally where things are based (and where bases, as such, are) is easy, knowing exactly what they hold is hard.

- Economy. Simple and usual though the economy level system may be, the arguments for the more complex sectorised system are convincing. Other issues are those of economic centres (I'll probably just adapt the same approach as in ITNES, though, leaving trade centres that don't magically generate income by themselves but still are significant for actual trade) and of economic regions (which are also increasingly widespread, but strike me as a bit too complex). Really, I'm out of my depth here, so I'll particularily appreciate suggestions here;
I would say this is entirely dependent upon the age in question and bears tabling until that's decided.

- Other ideas worth stealing include a Population stat (which will function as the Size stat for things like Education and would have some obvious, though probably not mathematical, influence on economy and military) and a periphery system (like in the sadly short-lived DisNES, for autonomous regions and effectively autonomous colonies);
Again, I suggest as in the JSNES03 rules, a separation of Area and Population.

- I'm sure I forgot something here - any other nice ideas?
In addition to the immediate above, I strongly recommend the adoption of the Military Basic system from the JSNES03 rules. All units for all nations being created at some arbitrarily low level (as in staznesIX) or at the average of existing forces minus some level (as in DisNES2) is overly simplistic and limited. This alternative is more accurate, more diverse, and gives players yet another thing to throw money at, which always increases the diversity of the system, in my opinion.

Setting (ideas for):
- NES2 VII, an althist NES like all the other NES2s, based on this guess-the-PoD map: which most of you already know and remember. It strikes me as a generally pretty good setting for a modernish NES, with many interesting nations and possibilities, and a fairly different geopolitical setup when compared to what we usually see in modern NESes (no Russia ever existed, Australia and the Canada-equivalent are great powers, the sun never sets on the Portuguese empire, neither India nor China nor even Africa are fully colonised and so on);

This is my personal favorite. It's so different, it won't be the usual suspects at positions of power (France, Britain, Germany, Russia).

I like these, but I generally like straight up Fresh Start's or IT-BT Fresh Start's more myself. Mainly because I tend to enjoy the ancient age :D

What kind of twists, oh sageful one? :mischief:

I think only three people would be interested in NES2 VI :p It would fail much the same way NES2 IV did.

ITNES I IT V? I don't know, I think it would be best to start something anew.

I would be interested in the CSA somehow makes it through :p Probably not as much as the NES2 VII idea or ITNES 2.

Oh goodness YES! If you could somehow afford the time to write these up, it would be pure awesome. It would help for people who do not wish to write 2 PM's (or...8) of military tactics and so forth, and it would be malleable for those who do.

Also, a newer map might or might not be in order; discuss. If we go with my althist setting but pick a new map, I will need a volunteer to transfer it there.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc? Silly polar bear vs. penguin stories? Portraits of random 18th century Russian nobles? The former, at least, are definitely welcome.

I generally agree with Symphony on all major points, would like to see NES2 VII on that map (I fail to see how australia can support the population to be a great power though, considering they are straining to water 25 million people with modern technology ;).

I love the idea of technology descriptions.

If you use my periphery system i would highly recommend using this short version I've put together. The 'two line system' ;).

Peripheries
Name:Type:Size:population;Dissent:Loyality:Economy:Income:Costs
Canada:Settler Colony:Large(5):9 million:Very Stable:Wavering:12:5:3
-Canada was originally settled by blah blah
Jamacia:Colony:Tiny(1):0.5 million:unstable:loyal:1:1:2
-Jamaca blah blah
Argentina:Investment:~:~:~:Happy:~:6:2
-British involvement in argentina blah blah

Continuing ITNES sounds like fun :)
But yeah something will have to change history around completely to open the door for many new nations.

Just not some alternate history :(!

ITNES 2 sounds nice to. What kind of twists?

- NES2 VII, an althist NES like all the other NES2s, based on this guess-the-PoD map: http://forums.civfanatics.com/attach...3&d=1177933349 which most of you already know and remember. It strikes me as a generally pretty good setting for a modernish NES, with many interesting nations and possibilities, and a fairly different geopolitical setup when compared to what we usually see in modern NESes (no Russia ever existed, Australia and the Canada-equivalent are great powers, the sun never sets on the Portuguese empire, neither India nor China nor even Africa are fully colonised and so on);

Definatley do this one. Without a doubt.

This is my personal favorite. It's so different, it won't be the usual suspects at positions of power (France, Britain, Germany, Russia).

Well, Germany sort of is, though its a pretty different Germany.

No. Reasons classified.

Reasons guessable.

What kind of twists, oh sageful one? :mischief:
What kind of twists?

Not sure yet. I have some very half-formed ideas.

Again, I suggest as in the JSNES03 rules, a separation of Area and Population.

I'm leaning towards something like that, yes.

In addition to the immediate above, I strongly recommend the adoption of the Military Basic system from the JSNES03 rules. All units for all nations being created at some arbitrarily low level (as in staznesIX) or at the average of existing forces minus some level (as in DisNES2) is overly simplistic and limited. This alternative is more accurate, more diverse, and gives players yet another thing to throw money at, which always increases the diversity of the system, in my opinion.

Sounds good to me, though perhaps a bit complicated.

Oh goodness YES! If you could somehow afford the time to write these up, it would be pure awesome.

Why the hell would I write them up? :p The players would. Except for the NPCs, obviously.

I fail to see how australia can support the population to be a great power though, considering they are straining to water 25 million people with modern technology

Not all the great powers were doing all that well demographics-wise in OTL, besides the Australians don't have all that much of a competition in their area. Plus that's one more problem for them to deal in the NES.

Sounds good to me, though perhaps a bit complicated.
The day that looking at a table and multiplying two integers is considered complicated is the day I quit NESing.

Either fresh start or continuing ITNES 1, unlikely you will continue it though.

I prefer the age system

- More detailed military? Nah. :p Although, maybe some sort of an additional descriptive stat for military composition (quality, organisation, leadership, base unit type, equipment and all other information that people PMed me about previously) might be in order; its not like this information was ever secret either in a NES or in RL;

Keep it the way it was in ITNES (well that depends on what nes you do)

I would not know how to go about making a military doctrine, neither do I know what they are.

The day that looking at a table and multiplying two integers is considered complicated is the day I quit NESing.

Dont know what an integer is.

I would not know how to go about making a military doctrine, neither do I know what they are.

Just the general tactics and strategy of your army, to be used unless said otherwise. You know, like the Phalanx or the Blitzkrieg.

An integer is a positive number. :lol:

I'm interested in any NES you do, as long as I get a minor nation.

So he couldn't just say number? he really does like making things complicated.

An integer doesn't have to be posotive. An integer can be both a posotive or a negative number.

I didn't like the alt history you are thinking about so my vote goes to a new ITNES or a continuation of the old ITNES. Even though I am not going to like losing what I worked for if it is another IT.

An integer is any positive or negative number that's a whole fraction. Like 2. Or 9. Or 392145. Or -6. They're particularly easy to multiply given there aren't any decimals to worry about. If somebody can't multiply one by another, or at the very least, do so on a calculator, they fail at life. It's really just that simple.

I don't see what's complicated about multiplying 7 times 3, or 10 times 5, or anything equivalent, I never will, and if somebody argues such, I am liable to regard them as a fool. If something is going to be labeled "complicated" it had better damn well involve a spreadsheet or something equivalent. Otherwise that's just laziness.

my vote goes to a new ITNES or a continuation of the old ITNES. Even though I am not going to like losing what I worked for if it is another IT.

What about an Advanced Fresh Start? Did anyone other than Symphony and Azale even notice it? :p

Quite an exciting mathematical discussion we have here. ;) I said it is a bit complicated, and perhaps at that. Clearly, it isn't.

What about an Advanced Fresh Start? Did anyone other than Symphony and Azale even notice it? :p
No. We picked up some Jedi mind tricks awhile back. You see nothing.

Setting (ideas for):
- NES2 VII, an althist NES like all the other NES2s, based on this guess-the-PoD map:

Probably one of the better althist ideas I've seen. If it's any althist, do this one. On the other hand, I prefer...

- Advanced Fresh Start.

This one. I would definitely join one.

See immediately above. None of this evil modern crap; fresh starts!

- ITNES I IT V and NES2 VI IT III?

I have to ask it: why? No point.

I would! But then, I was one of the only people who was thoroughly enjoying NES2 IV. >_>

- On the other hand, the descriptive cultures and governments worked quite to my satisfaction;

You're welcome. ;)

Depending on the level of detail, yes. Don't go overboard.

Good idea; I used to specify that, but mods usually ignored the doctrines as they were buried in other orders, so I stopped.

I disliked them, frankly. They cluttered up the map.

The most balanced systems that seem to work are those that have a good balance of land and city economy, possibly with trade thrown into the mix. Going into formulae for the economy is probably just going to become a headache.

I didn't notice NES2 VI IT III. I would say if you could find a way to balance it a bit it would be really fun. I have plenty of ideas of what I wanna do.

Top Bottom