1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Next President of the United States of America

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CavLancer, Jun 12, 2014.

?

Next president should be a...?

1. Conservative

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Center right

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Middle of the road

12 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Center left

23 vote(s)
    26.1%
  5. Leftist

25 vote(s)
    28.4%
  6. Huh? What? Who? Where am I?

12 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

To each their own. I liked the irony of taking what he said versus what he meant.

Regardless, Jeb Bush is considered a front running potential candidate. For example:
    http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/category/2016-president/

J

2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Let's see Jeb run on a 3rd Bush war in Iraq and see how far he gets.

3. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

To the gates of Babylon?

4. bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer Steppin' up!

I feel a middle of the road person, one who's able to compromise with both parties. As it stands right now, the U.S is highly partisan and is drifting further apart.

5. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

What would happen if he suddenly realized how offensive and foolish he is?

Would he moan? Would he cry? Would he reform?

Would his head literally explode? No, seriously - I think it's on the table.

Now we just need to find two parties willing to compromise.

6. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

The only way this is ever going to change is with the destruction of the winner-takes-all system of voting in America. If a state votes 51% to 49% to elect a senator, then the wishes of 49% of the voters get ignored. And if some new parties try to wedge their way in and split the vote, then one of the big parties will still win it all so long as they're a plurality. A vote for a smaller party isn't very different from not voting at all.

In parliamentary systems, by contrast, parties frequently win footholds in the government if they can meet a certain threshold of votes, so small parties stand a chance and votes for them actually amount to something. Introducing that kind of choice and competition would enable more people to get what they want and would force the big parties to shape up or lose votes.

7. onejayhawk

Been there. Not much to see. I didn't get the T-shirt.

I have $10 that one of those horses is still alive.

Historically, this is not close to the most partisan American politics has been. Look to the post reconstruction period for that, from 1870s to Teddy Roosevelt. In that case we had a very young (still the youngest at 42) and popular President to sort things out.

If you want fractous, try Germany's history prior to Bismark. During the 30 Years War uniting Germany was a saying meaning impossible.

J

8. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I agree with you 100%. There is only one obstacle to implementing such a system: the Constitution. The Constitution strictly outlines how our elections are to be conducted and amendments cannot alter the core document, they can only add to the core document. The only way to legally change the core document would be to hold another Constitutional Convention and write a whole new Constitution. Now I don't know about you, but I don't want to see that happen because I am absolutely terrified of what a new Constitution would look like.

9. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

It's curious that when a contemporary politician is described as "unwilling to compromise", it's meant as a pejorative, but when applied to those operating in 1775, it's the highest compliment.

One might be tempted to think that "moderates", too, operate within some sort of ideological framework.

10. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Wasn't the 3/5ths compromise wiped off the slate by the 13th Amendment, though? I seem to recall reading parts of the Constitution being crossed out due to amendments.

11. onejayhawk

To say nothing of prohibition.

It is true in a sense. Amendments may alter how certainlanguage is read, but the language is not excised from the document. Other than that, anything is possible with enough votes.

J

12. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

I'd like to see a Mexican descent person run. Susana Martinez, no idea where she stands on the issues but the republicans really need to broaden their base or cash in their chips. First woman too...

Rubio would be good too, particularly if he could be convinced to have a sex change. :b:

Btw Jay, been watching, non of those horses has moved.

13. Commodore

Commodore Deity

The 3/5ths compromise was not wiped off the slate, it just became irrelevant with the abolition of slavery. So I guess technically, if slavery were ever brought back to the US the 3/5ths compromise would come back into effect.

Prohibition was not part of the core document and thus can be altered, changed, added, or deleted as many times as we see fit.

14. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

I'm pretty sure the old way of selecting Senators is in the core document and we've changed that.

15. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

The nest president should be a geo-libertarian, but obviously won't be.

16. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Voted Center-Left. If Hill runs I don't see any Republican beating her. I mean it won't be a blow-out, but she will still prevail. If she doesn't run, it gets exponentially easier for the Right, but still I see the DNC pulling it out.

17. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

^Still don't see what good Hilarity would be to any nation, let alone a 300 million one with a large economy and by now huge social and related monetary issues..

Seems to mostly be a set 'lesser of two evils', but surely that was what got you (and most of other countries) to this mess by now?

18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I'm realizing that it looks like the Dems will have a much easier time fielding a centrist candidate. Any Republican voting in the primaries will be fighting a really strong riptide. I'm thinking the Democratic primary votes will likely matter the most.

19. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

I'm concerned that the next president might be a crypto-anti-Stratfordian.

In the NYT Book Review yesterday, they asked Hillary Clinton what three literary figures, living or dead, she would invite to a dinner party. She said, Just one, William Shakespeare, to find out which plays he had written!

I will not be able to vote for this woman if she becomes the Democratic candidate, unless she changes her position on this issue between now and then.

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

That saddest part is that she highly likely hasn't even read those plays, so it is over 100% make-belief at this point.