[C3C] The Nine Conquests

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Lanzelot, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

A big "yes" to both. I definitely don't want to play the Macedonians on Deity. Having a nice cosy part of the world all to myself as Persia was already "bad enough"... Imagine having two close borders with two power-houses, Rome and Persia, plus the growing threat from the north, Scythia, who on Deity can quickly become quite strong.
    And I should have had the idea with razing the Macedon base in Asia Minor and blocking the choke-point much earlier... :sad: Would have made the game a lot easier.

2. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Emperor

This is super cool, thank you for doing it!

3. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

1,000 VP and 200 gold. They're pretty great.

4. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Yes. Thanks for the correction. I've made an edit now.

5. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Emperor

I recall enjoying placing as many settlements as possible around each resource, then rush building them and shipping them back. A Panama style city is invaluable for quickly getting the west coast.

6. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Emperor

Gosh this thread is really tempting me to try the same, I don't think I've ever played the last few..

I'll do it at an easier setting though!

7. Lanzelot

Fall of Rome, part 1, is finished and there is another update on part 2!

need my speed likes this.
  8. choxorn

I don't believe so, and checking the editor that doesn't even seem to be an option that can be changed, as far as I can tell.

9. Lanzelot

Final update for Fall of Rome.

Spoonwood likes this.
  10. choxorn

You can check the VSS and it will tell you about how many cities that you've lost and I think how many the civ that's lost the most cities has also lost.

Mine went kinda similar to yours- I took too long to bother attacking the Romans because the civ I chose (the Vandals) is kinda far away from both of them and has other barb tribes to go through first. I did manage to kill Western Rome and come really close to killing Eastern Rome (IIRC, they'd lost 7 cities when they hit 35k VP and I played a bit after to see how long it would take them to lose the 8th, I think it was around 5 turns)

From this I've come to the conclusion that the scenario's easier as one of the civs that actually borders one or both halves of the empire- you have less space to build up with and I think everyone aside from the Huns starts with a lot fewer military units, but once you've got a bit of a military built up you can just go right to hitting the Romans.

Spoonwood likes this.
  11. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

Playing at Emperor, I found the best way to win this was basically to MA all the Barbarian tribes surrounding the 'other' half of Rome to attack that half, and then MA with whoever was left to go after 'my' half.

Although I've never won as the Celts, in every game I've played as them, it's been relatively easy to get Western Rome destroyed by signing MAs with the Franks, Saxons and Visigoths (or the Ostrogoths? One of the -goths, anyway!). I'd take out the Roman towns in Britain, and they'd take down enough of them on the mainland, that when I was ready to start moving units over there myself, I'd only need to grab another 1-2 towns to finish them off. My main failure (as always!) was that I would tend to build up and cross the Channel too cautiously/ too late. Also, because of the Celts' starting position, it often takes a long time to contact the eastern Barbarian-Civs, so I usually also forgot to get anyone to fight extended campaigns against Eastern Rome, so they would usually win on VPs.

The main problem with this Scenario is that the Civ3-AI tries to play as if it was a normal epic-game: the large amount of colonisable space tempts them into racing to fill up the map with Cxx(x)xC'd towns, which, combined with the large swathes of Hills and Forests (and their perennial disinclination to build enough Workers!), means that they aren't able to grow/defend a lot of those towns effectively, leaving them very vulnerable to the city-elimination mechanic, which they don't "understand".

Arguably, all you have to do to beat half of them is to station stacks of 2-3 (fast) units around your borders to watch out for passing AI Settler-pairs, follow them until they found a town, and then (declare war and) capture it...
    AFAIK, losing towns to flips doesn't count towards the elimination-limit, only losing them to conquest does

Aiken_Drumn and Spoonwood like this.
  12. choxorn

I'm sure that's testable by doing something like, set up a scenario in the editor where you can immediately capture a city with an enormous amount of culture surrounded by other cites with similar levels of culture, wait for it to flip, and see if that affects your elimination number.

Spoonwood likes this.
  13. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Emperor

@tjs282
    How delightfully dastardly as the Celts!