Resource icon

The Nobles' Club Bullpen: Third Cycle

Oasis counts as an "unusual" map and we try for at most one of those per round. I was planning on an islands, low sea level, for Ragnar, which might also count as unusual. On the other hand we were hoping to have the low sea level simulate a kind of archipelago map were some mega-islands were reachable pre-Astronomy, so maybe it's not so unusual as that.

The last Oasis map had at least one AI who ran away with the game at higher levels -- too much land to expand into. So the small map and extra AI is a good idea.

@klonoklown: :band: :beer:

Oasis counts as an "unusual" map and we try for at most one of those per round. I was planning on an islands, low sea level, for Ragnar, which might also count as unusual. On the other hand we were hoping to have the low sea level simulate a kind of archipelago map were some mega-islands were reachable pre-Astronomy, so maybe it's not so unusual as that.

The last Oasis map had at least one AI who ran away with the game at higher levels -- too much land to expand into. So the small map and extra AI is a good idea.

@klonoklown: :band: :beer:

I think you could class the Ragnar map as normal because he is suited to sea-warfare.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about doing oasis for Sal. He got Oasis last time as I recall, and I feel like being a bit more straightforward with him this time. I'll roll up some maps today, see what I get.

Okay, I've got a map ready to roll. FYI, dalamb, I'll probably put it up early Thursday because I have no idea what my Thursday and Friday are going to look like next week (Thursday is Thanksgiving in the States, and I still don't know where all I'm going to be yet. :p ).

I have the impression that some people dislike having to mount intercontinental invasions, which make conquest/domination victories harder. That's hard to avoid without a pangaea-like map, and so far I've treated pangaea as just one of the many "common" map types; it probably only shows up about once per 10 games or so.

Should pangaea be more common?

I have the impression that some people dislike having to mount intercontinental invasions, which make conquest/domination victories harder. That's hard to avoid without a pangaea-like map, and so far I've treated pangaea as just one of the many "common" map types; it probably only shows up about once per 10 games or so.

I don't think it's a bad idea forcing people to make intercontinental invasions. Having said that Pangaea a bit more often is OK by me, I was thinking of one for my Caesar game which is up after Sal.

Pangaea Julius Caeser sounds like a nice simple early-game Praet stomp, which can be a lot of fun.

The challenge with Julius is to not Praet stomp yourself into an economic crisis.

Personally I don't mind intercontinental invasions, they are part of the game. Although seems they require spamming naval units I will generally put them off, preferably to the industrial era, unless I'm playing archipelago or some other map where navy is essential early. On the other hand, I don't have anything against seeing pangea maps either. It's actually one I play less often.

The aspect of naval invasions and intercontinental warfare that puts me off more than anything is how inept the AI is at fighting them. It's a long and tedious process full of micromanagement, and an outcome that is typically just a forgone conclusion.

Diety is probably a different story. Not that the AI is any better at actually fighting, but an AI superpower is more likely to emerge on another continent on Diety, and the AI is just much scarier in terms of tech rate and troop spamming.

For the record, I'd like to see a Continents/Hemispheres type map with Julius. Force people to make late-game decisions without resorting to "throw Praets at bad guy" if they want to get the win. That or forcing people to make a different move to get iron. BFC Iron + Julius Caesar is so straightforward that it almost needs something else to make it more challenging. I don't know what the solution is, but doing something different with Rome might make for an interesting challenge.

For the record, I'd like to see a Continents/Hemispheres type map with Julius. Force people to make late-game decisions without resorting to "throw Praets at bad guy" if they want to get the win. That or forcing people to make a different move to get iron. BFC Iron + Julius Caesar is so straightforward that it almost needs something else to make it more challenging. I don't know what the solution is, but doing something different with Rome might make for an interesting challenge.

I agree, the ol' fashion praet stomp can get boring. Players, including myself, should learn new strategy's and techniques towards getting a victory condition, not just sooo straight forward as the above is stated. Just my two cents. ;)

Well you can always try a harder difficulty level with them too. That definitely shortens the time frame that they are OP. I use them with Catapults a good bit on Immortal. Kind of like cheaper elephants that can get CR promotions.

I think you should NOT have pangaea for leaders like Ceaser who have powerful early/mid units for the reason that most ppl can win conquest/domination that easy.

Just to annoy them put just 1 or 2 Civ's on a separate continent.

Hey Oz I wanna play with Pacal!! I've never tried to play as him before. I don't usually play as financial leaders because of I don't know how cottage economy actually works.... Pacal is cool as al! Especially when he is furios and does the RAGEEE thing.. You know what I mean. As al he is alway really cultural and religious. And yes Julius is really inspiring leader! Like my current avatar.

Top Bottom