1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Nobles Club Bullpen

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bleys, Apr 30, 2008.

1. dalamb

dalamb Deity

Justinian is in a current or recent BOTM; I'd vote for Saladin or one of your suggested IND leaders.

2. dalamb

dalamb Deity

With just me expressing interest, I imagine this series has little or no appeal. If I ever manage to create and finish any myself, I suppose I could post them anyway.

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Hello all:

I'd like to post the next one some time this weekend. I'm taking suggestions here! Currently I have Stalin, Roosy, or Mansa Musa in mind.

If anybody has other suggestions, put them here!

5. KaytieKat

KaytieKat King

Hi

I any of those three would be fun. I like Indy leaders. If I had to give an order of pref I would probably go Roosy, Stalin, Mansa.

Kaytie

6. dubrown

dubrown Prince

I guess it was quite some time since I played any american, so Roosy sounds nice. It might be time for me to try my hands on emperor, so emperor light as this would be sound like a good starting point.

7. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

My preferences are the same as Kaytie's; I like Rosey the best of those 3.

8. JTMacc99

JTMacc99 That's a paddlin'

I don't think I've ever been MM. The luck of the draw's never given him to me, and I've never picked him (figuring that it's better to run into him than to be him.)

9. Bleys

Bleys Deity

I am a big Roosey fan (hes the king of the GLH TRE), so I suggest a nice watery map. Not all islands, but something like M&S or B&S, and I promise a detailed report of how I play them. Its my favorite type of game to play, the non-isolated isolated islands GLH powered TRE.

10. Capellan

Capellan Is this thing on?

I'd prefer not-Roosey, since the LHC is talking about playing Lincoln next. I'd give Stalin the nod against MM, since I played MM in an offline game recently.

11. JTMacc99

JTMacc99 That's a paddlin'

Is there a quick list of who we've played recently?

I know we played Alexander recently, so that was Agg/Phil and we're playing Spi/Pro now. We also played Cathy recently, didn't we?

Why don't we go with Roosey? At least I'll be able to remember the names of my cities.

12. Krick19

Krick19 Prince

Roosey, por favor.

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I apologize on the delay. I will set a map up and have it out within an hour or two (I just rolled out of bed, so let me grab something to eat first).

Roosy has the vote here so I'm going with him, although we've not seen MM in a forum series game since quite a while back so he and Stalin (and some other options) would make good candidates for NC XVI.

14. Capellan

So I believe this is the current list of games played:

Elizabeth
    Ramesses II
    Kublai Khan
    Frederick
    Hannibal
    Brenuus
    Sitting Bull
    De Gaulle
    Joao
    Zara
    Catherine
    Elizabeth (again)
    Alexander
    Saladin
    Roosevelt

I'd be up for Stalin (though Cathy was't that long ago). Mansa would be okay, I guess, though I'm not a big fan. NC has never played as the Romans (maybe because of the strong UU?).

Charlemagne could be fun. I really wanna play with the UU :)

Shaka has been suggested a couple of times but never actually used.

Ragnar could also be interesting, especially if the map was set up in such a way as to allow pre-astronomy invasions.

Or there's Monty: he is always fun to play. :) Might work well on a start with no copper or horses, actually - gives good reason to beeline IW and spam Jags.

15. Chas

Chas Chieftain

Hi. I have just spent many days replaying a supposed Noble walkthru many times (Orions Ghandi) which does not work. I learned a lot, but not how to win a game. I have won on Warlord and find it fairly straightforward. I posted in the thread and someone suggested I come here. I have not yet won on Noble, or come close really despite trying probably 20 times (as well as all the time on the Orion game).

The first post of this thread lists some threads, but I just looked at the first one (Elizabeth) and the screenshots are defunct. Maybe someone knows of one that is reasonably detailed, fairly balanced (not all war), and where e.g. the screenshots showing the game settings required are still visible.

I have BTS 317, so it needs to be a thread that would play the same (roughly) with this patch - not sure if earlier threads used earlier versions of BTS with different game balance features (certainly this happens a lot on similar forums for other non-Civ games - the tactics and strategies all shift quite a bit from patch to patch, as the programmers plug what they see as holes in the AI, invalidating old walk-throughs).

16. KaytieKat

KaytieKat King

Hi

Chas, I think most of games if not all use 3.17 versions. A new NC game should be starting up fairly soon so feel free to jump in then or try the current one. You can get lots of advice just by posting screenies of your own game at the different checkpoints or even a saved game and lots of ppl usually willing to help :)

Kaytie

17. Capellan

The most recent Noble's Club game is linked in one of TMIT's posts above. It'll play just fine in 3.17. I suggest playing it, and comparing your progress at each 'checkpoint' to that of others who have posted.

You should also check out Sisiutil's ALC threads (all linked here). Sisiutil plays at levels above Noble, but the advice in the threads is useful at any difficulty. I played at Warlord before reading them, and I now play at Prince with a fair degree of success.

18. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Hmm...I'm seeing some deliberation on the next leader to use. The proposed leaders:

Stalin, Shaka, Charlie, Ragnar, Monty, Julius Caesar (avoid IND repeat).

Since we just used an IND, we should probably hold off on Stalin? Of the other 4, all but Charlie are very strong leaders and/or civs IMO. Players also get the benefit of not having to deal with one of them ;).

I'll leave voting open, will probably post another NC this weekend. As nobody took over PYL after my last outing with it, it may also be time to revive that.

I'm pretty sick at the moment though, but hopefully I'm ok by the weekend so I can actually focus on what I'm doing!

19. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

I actually wouldn't mind Shaka, Ragnar, or Monty. They all sound like fun to me. I'd probably prefer Shaka, but since I've played him more I guess I'll make my official vote for Monty, as I've played him the least. Might actually do a write up on this one as I should have a little more free time than usual this weekend (although I WILL be watching Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar, love my MMA even more than my CIV!)

20. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

I'm still working through Roosey, but Shaka does sound interesting. I can't even remember the last time I played him.

Also, /me pokes Bleys to update the game list on the first post since it's still at VIII :p