1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Nobles Club Bullpen

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bleys, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Capellan

Capellan Is this thing on?

My actual vote would be Ragnar ... provided the map was set up to make some degree of galley-based invasions possible. Without someone to invade, the berserker doesn't have much scope to shine (though I guess you can promote them to gunpowder units later). Maybe archipelago with low sea levels would give something appropriate?

Monty would probably be my second choice: maybe on a tropical big and small map?

2. KaytieKat

KaytieKat King

Hi

Monty on arborial map :) Well it almost like using Rags on sea map only more fun I think hehe. It just I dont like sea maps as much as others. They just seem sooo hard to get decent hammers and I LIKE hammers :).

Julie or Shaka could be fun too. And even though he indy too I think Stalin is diff enuff to play right after Rosy.

I agree BK has sucky traits but his UB is awesome. But if we HAD to try a protective leader I would vote for giggles, he has fun UU and and nice UB. Toku might be fun too just cuz Samauri get the most cool points in game but he can be a pain to play since cool UU is bout ALL he has going for him.

But really I wouldnt mind playing any leader. There are still some I have never tried like Wang or Suri or Mao or Asoka or Suliman. I dont think I ever played Julius either just cauze I like Auggie better when I play Rome.

Hammy is another leader I have never really tried. At least not with his civ. Mostly I play Hammy of Rome at times hehe.

Leaders dont really frustrate me as much as map types are starting locations can. For me it seems if it a nice start on nice map then I have chance to win no matter who the leader but if it a map Im not good at then Im in trbl no who Im playing.

Kaytie

3. Fierabras

Fierabras Emperor

Is NC XVI about to start? If not, I'll try the Roosevelt one, but I like to join the next one from the start, as I play rather slow.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

As NC XV is only a little under 2 weeks old, and I just put out PYL VI, I decided I'd hold off another week for NC XVI. You can play PYL's at any difficulty, also.

5. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Remember, also, you can go back and play old ones, sometimes you actually learn more because the position has been discussed and dissected and its usually obvious in hindsight what the best moves are. I almost always read those old ones when they pop back up too, so I can see who played it and how they did. I am probably not the only one, either, you can get advice in old games pretty easily, sometimes easier than the current ones because the thread is so busy.

Just do a search for Nobles Club (or PYL, or Lonely Hearts) and you will get a list of the threads.

6. Fierabras

Fierabras Emperor

I have played an old NC one (Ramesses), but I think it's more fun when everyone is playing at the same time and the reports are part of the fun for me.

I didn't know about PYL yet, so I'll might give that a go.

7. Fierabras

Fierabras Emperor

Let's start discussion on the next installment. I would suggest an Asian leader. How about Tokugawa? Maybe TMIT can come up with another theme for the map? I noticed the last few were sort of thematic (superbarb, islander, agressive vs. protective)

8. JTMacc99

JTMacc99 That's a paddlin'

I'd like to see a Mongol, if there hasn't been one in a while.

9. Fierabras

Fierabras Emperor

Ah yes, a Djenghis-Golden Horde game would be good as well...

10. CivCorpse

CivCorpse Supreme Overlord of All

i vote for an unaltered map.

11. Capellan

Here's the updated list of previous Noble's Clubs:

Elizabeth
    Ramesses II
    Kublai Khan
    Frederick
    Hannibal
    Brenuus
    Sitting Bull
    De Gaulle
    Joao
    Zara
    Catherine
    Elizabeth (again)
    Alexander
    Saladin
    Roosevelt
    Shaka

I personally would prefer the next game to use a civ which hasn't been used previously, so if we go with a civ from Asia, that means Asoka/Gandhi, Wang Kon, Sury or Toku (have I missed anyone?).

Like CivCorpse, I'm in favour of having no funky map edits this time (though it might be fun to play on a map script that's a bit "out of the ordinary").

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I'll have something up by Friday, but before I do that I'll hear a few more votes.

Shaka was...barely edited. All I did was pin 1 additional civ on an island, with land that is questionable for the AI to handle. This isn't too far a deviation from what you'd see if I'd merely added 1 extra AI without the island. Shaka is a warmonger though! An extra AI seemed reasonable. Other than that, the map was 100% default. Seriously.

But if you insist I'll avoid anything for the next one. Out of the list above GK was not mentioned. I of course am willing to host whatever you guys want, so let's hear some votes.

13. Capellan

I skipped GK because NC3 did the Mongols. None of the other East Asian civs have been done, yet. There haven't been any Central or South American civs either, come to think of it.

My vote's for "any civ NC hasn't done yet".

14. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

China? :D Good for war and good for peace ;)

15. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

I say let's play as Toku! Let's see what Japan can do if it actually opens it's borders and trades a little.

16. Krick19

Krick19 Prince

I'm big on Mao for next one.

17. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

Tokugawa!!

18. JTMacc99

JTMacc99 That's a paddlin'

We haven't had a Charasmatic leader since Brennus and Imperialistic since Cathy.

How about Cyrus? We haven't been a Persian leader, it is technically Asia, and it gives the aggressive, protective, and philosophical traits another round to breathe before we go back to one of them.

My second choice would be Asoka.

19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I didn't intend for AGG vs PRO - the leaders were random ;). I try to keep maps interesting without changing gameplay TOO much. Whenever I do make a material modification to the map (changing a name or color is not material, adding a civ with an awkward start or a minor nation is), I play test it at noble/normal a couple times to see if the modifications have a strong impact on how the game plays (I give myself enough espionage to see everything and watch). If I'm lazy, it's just a normal map :lol:. I'm guilty of slight terrain modifications to make certain maps easier on the human, too (such as Sal). Believe it or not I do put some effort into making the maps a learning experience but reasonably playable to people trying to get a feel for certain kinds of functionality of the game.

I'm seeing a lot of variance in preference for the upcoming game. Currently Toku is leading the votes but it's still easier for me when there's a closer consensus!

I think Toku would be interesting too, although IMO he's one of the hardest leaders to play to strengths. He has zero economy power but with AGG/PRO the ability to be aggressive early or settle land and turtle. IMO that's key - one way or another, he needs land and proper usage of that land. His traits give him a leg up on attaining and holding it throughout the game, but nonetheless without any economic bonuses you have to know what you're doing.

Still, if the NC players want to see him I'll be happy to try to get you guys a reasonable start for him. There's still time to vote though until I get done with finals :lol:!

20. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

Not really, he's a real bad-ass warmonger; not any harder to play than Genghis or any other leader with no economic traits imo. His UB is kind of bad, but the UU is great and his traits give him an amazing Gunpowder army. If you don't want Toku, then Cyrus would be my second choice. It's funny how a recent thread declared Toku as the weakest leader in the game.