[BTS] The NOOBle Prince of Portugal

I am the top dog, maybe that dissuades them also.
Btw i won the Apostolic thing, twice now. Wasnt it supposed to give me some kind of power/decision? I saw nothing popping up. What do i have to do to get the powers?
What happens if i attack a city with a boat? Will the boat focus the boat that is inside the city? Its kinda weird that boats are inside cities..

You don't attack cities with boats, although some boats can bombard cities (lower defenses). Well, coastal cities are port cities. Consider the boats docked at port.

If you mean you won the Apostolic vote, you are the resident. That means you can chose what decisions get brought up for vote. These votes come every 10 turns. Elections held every 4 vote cycles. However, certain conditions have to be in place for AP votes to come up..like other civs having the religion at all, or wars. Later you can bring up the diplomatic religious victory decision, but that will only appear as an option when all civs have at least 1 city with the AP religion present.

That.
"You don't attack cities with boats, although some boats can bombard cities (lower defenses). Well, coastal cities are port cities. Consider the boats docked at port."
Can i attack the docked boat?

Yes i was elected president for the second time in a row. Maybe there was some decision that needed to be voted, but cant remember if there was. Everyone is in peace so maybe there was nothing to vote.

I started a war and i see that i cant attack the boats hiding in the cities.
After several elections finally there was something to choose to vote.... to stop trading with America .... kinda stupid because i might be the only one trading with him.

I have this problem with first strikes...
I want to take a city that have longbowman. Grenadiers have 12 strenght, Knights are 10 strength but dodge first strikes. Which ones should i build?
I was reading a bit about first strikes but i dont want to do all the complicated maths :sad:. Is there any rule of thumb or so?

I just tested, and grenadiers have a big big advantage. The thing i didnt understood is why the city shows 100% defense vs knight and only 40% vs the grenadier. I dont see any modifier that would explain that advantage vs city defenses..

Gunpowder units ignore castles/walls. That is why knights are so weak taking cities compared to for example cuirassiers. Btw you really should be using siege taking cities. Trebs are way way stronger than strength 4 implies... Cannons cut through pretty much anything.

Yes, i have some cannons, but i thought to use the cannons to wear down the enemy troop and finish them with other troops. Isnt that correct?
One question about cannons and other "aoe" units... when they are attacked they also do colateral damage to all the other units?

Soon i will have access to airships, its the first air unit i will see so im not sure how they work. This range thing means that they can attack from far away? And can they be attacked by "normal units"? When they fight what happens? They attack "a couple" times and the enemy cant do anything back? Im trying to decide if they are worth the investment, they are very slow, and 4 strength dont look like much, but at the same time they would be nice if they can sit in enemy territory attacking turn by turn without them fighting back.

"aoe"??? Only thing I can come up with is "Age of Empires", but don't get it the reference. Siege units can be used to lower city defense and cause collateral damage on attack that weakens the enemy stack. Siege units have decent withdrawal odds. No collateral damage on defense, no.

Airships are pretty nice actually. The must be based in cities (your own or AI cities with open borders - and I think at least cautious). You can also base them in forts in your cultural borders. Airships can be attacked by normal units if left undefended, which is usually on an issue if you base them outside your own cities or in forts. Airships do not defend against land units, they are basically wiped out. Airships are nice for softening up units. I don't know what you mean by "they are slow". Later air units can intercept other air units for damage (up to and including killing them) Airships do not intercept other air units, but I assume they can be intercepted by later air units like fighter or jets (not sure ..i really don't play much with later air units)

So...you still plan on learning this game at some points?

Lol, sorry, AoE is used very often in dota (i have 1.5k hours of dota :cringe:) it means area of effect and it refers to skills that attack an area/several units.

What do you mean they must be based in cities? They cant move around to any place i want? I said slow because they only have "one foot", so would be slow to move to other islands to attack (one square per turn). I was thinking to send them to sea near enemy city and use that 8 square range (!?) to attack the city away from land units. Whatever... dont bother loosing time answering, when i get one i just try it out and see how it works.

So...you still plan on learning this game at some points?
What do you mean? With a shadow game?

Im learning, i look things up on google and watch Chris67132 vids.

Aha...yes..like some wizard spells in RPGs like spraying fire or cold. I've heard it ..just been a while.

Yep, air units must be based out of cities (or forts) but you can rebase them.

AZ's vids will certainly help, although most are on Deity. Still, you could learn a lot of specific stuff here.

Things are getting a bit boring lately.
I declared war on Russia, taking their cities one by one with big tech advantage. Other civs dont fight me, they dont fight each other, they rarely propose trades. Maybe its because its an archipelago or because its noble difficult, game is looking very passive, and now that i know all the map and there are no surprises it became a bit boring. Guess i will try a domination win but will take time to move units between islands.

Archipelago sounds interesting. I hardly ever built a naval unit.

A noble game is doomed to become not very challenging and is definitely a beginners game, is it not? Lymond or other experienced players?

Since you have learned the basics, I guess you will jump up a difficulty or two? Monarch is maybe a little to much?

On Monarch it takes more than just moving your units around!

:)

One important question is what tech options you should use. I am curious, what do experienced players choose: default, no tech brokering or no tech-trading?

It was interesting, i just discovered the last civ in year 1200 or so, kept finding inhabited islands until very very late, was a constant surprise, but not now that i completely dominate the sea and know everything.
Now its looking easy, i have a 400 points advantage or so, but not sure if they can sneak a cultural win over me or something unexpected like that.
If i win this one i will up the difficulty level one level.

Boy its super hard to take a city by culture.
I have one city, i have one city with all culture buildings + national wonders + 30% culture bar for ages, and now im am bombing spies (+20% spies) to culture influence now also (one or two per turn) they now have only 35% of their culture and no blocks around, i even closed borders so that they cant get units in the city (only have 3 inside), got them to revolt once only. The only thing i havent done is culture bomb with artist. I could finish the game by conquering, but it took me so much effort to take that city that i will not try to finish the game until i get that city by culture overtake. :mischief:
Good learning for next game, dont try to conquer your allies using culture, its massively expensive for such slow advance.

Attachments

• Luis IV BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    343.7 KB · Views: 119
Can someone tell me what kind of missiles can i put in the submarine?
I try to place guided missiles and tactical nukes in it but i cant do it..

Can someone tell me what kind of missiles can i put in the submarine?
I try to place guided missiles and tactical nukes in it but i cant do it..
There are 2 submarines - Submarine and Attack Submarine. Only 1st can carry 3 missiles (Tactical or Guided), they are loaded with Submarine going into city (can use also fort inside your teritory) and loading missiles (selecting missile -> upload) from city (or fort). They are ready to attack next turn. I like using Guided Missiles a lot in games I don't want to nuke anything :D

There are 2 submarines - Submarine and Attack Submarine. Only 1st can carry 3 missiles (Tactical or Guided), they are loaded with Submarine going into city (can use also fort inside your teritory) and loading missiles (selecting missile -> upload) from city (or fort). They are ready to attack next turn. I like using Guided Missiles a lot in games I don't want to nuke anything :D

Oh, ok. So they have to be in the same tile. Can i move the submarine around with the missiles ready?

Just got a diplomatic victory at the second vote. Does anyone know exactly how good needs to be the relation for another civ vote in you? Im sure i saw it somewhere on the wiki but i cant find it now. I googled like crazy because in the first vote my "friend" abstained and i wanted to know how much i needed to improve relation to get his vote. In the end i didnt need his vote because i took another city and with my votes + vassal were enough.

Now its time to up difficulty to prince level :king:

Top Bottom