1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The odds of the odd event.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Luckmann, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Early in my current game (latest patch, first time I make a real attempt to play since the patch came) I got a relatively common event, that I get almost every game (can't think of any where I haven't gotten it). Played some yesterday, got it, fair 'nuff.

Elder Council gets the choice of +2 Gold, +Culture/-1 Beaker, or +1 Beaker. I took +2 Gold. Neat.

Started playing again. I get the event again. I go "Wow, that's wierd. I thought you could only get an event once per game for each". To make matters even better, this is relatively early-game. I only have two towns, and only one of them have an Elder Council. Awesome. I pick +1 Beaker. My Elder Council now makes +2 Gold and +3 Beakers. I think to myself "Wow, it'd be awesome if I could get this a third time. That'd be neat. Not that it's going to happen, it's just way too unlikely, even if.." *event happens* "..what the hell?!".

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I picked another +2 Gold. Anyone else ever had this happen? My Elder Council is now a complete powerhouse, in comparison. I have to ask myself, what are the odds of this happening? Is it even supposed to happen?

Freakish. But cool.
    But freaky. :p

2. Skyre Noktis

Skyre Noktis Warlord

I have to say, your name is quite appropriate.

3. Master_Hugian

Master_Hugian Warlord

Wow, some Elders you have there. It hasn't happened to me with Elder Council before, only one that has was I once got the dedicate monument a three times in one game, pressing food twice didn't stack thought then.

4. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

It's actually my surname, and has nothing to do with luck. :D
    Well, the economics department is doing one helluva job.

5. benana

benana Warlord

I'm pretty sure that event triggers when you build a monument, so you shouldn't be able to get it twice for the same building.

6. xalien

xalien Prince

I had monuments with 6 food myself, very nice when it happens in the GPP farm.

7. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I had it 8 times in 10 turns, lets just say I was very happy :D

8. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Turn 219. Got another one. Same city. Took +1 beaker. My Elder Council now produces 4 Gold, 4 Beakers, instead of just 2 beakers. :p

9. Emptiness

Emptiness []

In one game I had a monument that was worth +8 :science:. I've never tried picking food multiple times, but I know science stacks. Originally I thought that there should be a limit of one building event per building per city, but then I got to buy four or five Great Prophets from events in one game. There's no way to limit where those guys are used and +8 :hammers: & +20 :gold: is better than +8 :science: or +8 :gold:.

I guess there could still be a limit of one event per game. I wouldn't miss getting hit with Muris clan pollution multiple times, that's for sure.

10. solistus

solistus Warlord

This whole issue will be resolved once we have enough common events.

11. Korias

Korias King

While that's all well and good, I dont think that more events are being released except in the ExtraEvents modmod. Still, That's one epic council. Fits the Amurtes kinda well, Especially if you're playing Valedia.

12. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

I'm playing my own leader, Varenus the Everlasting; Arcane, Creative, Ingenious.
    I threw Ingenious in because I felt it fitted the character, more than an attempt to cheat. Ingenious is is usually a pretty weak trait anyway, depending on what civilization you play.

Using the portrait I use as an avatar. :)

13. popejubal

popejubal Emperor

Speaking of Events, is there a list of events and their effects in FfH? I've tried to look in the /xml files to find them, but I wasn't able to make any sense of them.

In particular, i'm interested in the one Patria event that says we should choose between digging in the city to find out more about Patria or do nothing. I've never had the "go dig and find stuff" option available and when I hover over it, it doesn't say "requires Evil" or anything else that tells me what I need to be/have to pick that option.

I'm not talking about the Iron Orb, but about a different event that mentions Patria.

(...and all the other events as well, since I'm a curious guy.)

14. Emptiness

Emptiness []

I think it doesn't list a requirement because there is more than one. Although I'm not sure, I think you have to be non-good and also have enough population in the city to be eligible to rush-buy something costing 3 population. I'm not absolutely certain about those requirements, but that's the conclusion I've drawn based on the times I've been able or not able to accept the option.

Every time I've taken the option I've regretted it, however. Losing 3 population has always had a negative effect on my research rate that is greater than the bonus from the event.

15. zup

zup Emperor

I recently got it playing the Scions of Patria (Orbis 0.22c). I really cracked. Which are more useful and important for me anyway, 3 population or less than 100 beakers. And it was marathon speed. Come on, seriously...

16. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

How do you check/set the odds of an event, anyway? Is this.. like.. a happening once in a million, a billion, etc? I tried checking through the event .xml's, but I just couldn't find anything that looked relevant.

Is there some deciding factor as to how chance an event has to happen in relation to eachother?
    Edit: Nvm, found it. iWeight.

17. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

when the the weigh is 400 does this mean 1/400? will decreasing the number make it more or less likely?

18. Guale

Guale Warlord

Increasing the number makes it more likely but setting it to -1 means it triggers as soon as the prereqs are met.

19. MrPopov

MrPopov King

how did you get freshwater fish?

20. HadesScorn

HadesScorn Warlord

Does anyone else remember the old even where a Khazad Smith came round? You could build a forge or have an existing forge get a hammer. On game, playing as Lanun, I had that event trigger 10 TIMES within the first 500 turns [marathon]. One of the most ridiculously one sided games I ever played.