The Official Sno-Cone Discussion Thread

Fifty

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. What are your thoughts on sno-cones?

2. What are your favorite flavors of sno-cones?

3. What are some flavors of sno-cones that you had and didn't like very much?

4. What are some flavors of sno-cones that you've seen around and always meant to try but then every time you go to the sno-cone stand you end up going with a flavor that you KNOW is good because you're worried that if you get the new flavor and then that flavor isn't very good that you've just wasted your time and pocket change on a sub-par sno-cone experience?

5. What are some flavors that don't exist but that you wish they existed and if they do some day come into existence you'll totally try them?

6. Do you prefer an actual sno-cone or do you just like the stuff in a dish?

7. How much syrup/flavor do you like on there?

8. Do you go to one of those pretentious sno cone parlours that puts cream on it or whatever and gives it some fancy-shmancy european name, or what?

9. What are the sorts of contexts in which you find yourself wanting a sno-cone?

10. What are the conditions under which you would choose an ice-cream cone over a sno-cone, and vice-versa?

11. What foods would be best to have such that a sno-cone would be the most taste-tacular dessert?

12. Do you like to suck out a lot of the syrupy part then have a more icey experience later on, or do you try to maintain a consistent syrup/ice ratio throughout the whole experience, or do you eat the ice off the top and then have a syrupy reward at the end?

13. What are your 15 most cherished sno-cone related memories?

14. If you were going to have a sno-cone stand and you could only sell one other thing at that stand besides sno-cones, what would you sell and why?

15. How finely shaven is the ice in your ideal sno-cone?

16. When you get a sno-cone, do you mix flavors or just get one flavor?

17. How many sno-cones have you had in each of the following intervals of time?
Last Hour
Last Day
Last Week
Last Month
Last Year
Last Decade
Lifetime​

18. Do you ever find yourself craving sno-cones when it isn't even hot out? If so, what is the ratio of cold weather sno-cone cravings to hot weather sno-cone cravings?

19. If I got a gucci-mane-esque tattoo, but instead of ice cream cone it was a sno-cone, do you think I'd regret it in several years?

20. How do you feel about the past, present, and future of sno-cones?

21. Do you have any other thoughts about sno-cones that you'd like to share?

:snowcool:

I used to get them occasionally if I was at the circus or fair and I managed to nag my mother into buying me one. That wasn't very often, so I've had fewer than half a dozen sno-cones in my lifetime. I seem to recall enjoying strawberry the most. I don't remember all the flavors they had. Since this was in the '60s and early '70s, there weren't all that many.

I've no idea about modern sno-cones. I'd try one if it were available. But nowadays I just have to make do with Mango-flavored Slurpees from 7-11. ;)

Not a fan. Why eat sno-cone when you could have ice cream?

If forced to choose, probably...whatever the blue one is.

Whatever the red one was. Cherry?

4. What are some flavors of sno-cones that you've seen around and always meant to try but then every time you go to the sno-cone stand you end up going with a flavor that you KNOW is good because you're worried that if you get the new flavor and then that flavor isn't very good that you've just wasted your time and pocket change on a sub-par sno-cone experience?
I always MEAN to try banana, but I always get the mediocre blue one instead.

5. What are some flavors that don't exist but that you wish they existed and if they do some day come into existence you'll totally try them?
Mmm jalapeno sno cone.

Since I'm not a major sno cone fan, the only thing going for it is the novelty of having it in the cone.

As much as possible.

8. Do you go to one of those pretentious sno cone parlours that puts cream on it or whatever and gives it some fancy-shmancy european name, or what?
We don't have those in Texas. We have little shacks that say FREE SNO CONES WITH EVERY TACO or something to that effect.

9. What are the sorts of contexts in which you find yourself wanting a sno-cone?
When it's hot and I don't feel like walking to an ice cream place.

10. What are the conditions under which you would choose an ice-cream cone over a sno-cone, and vice-versa?
Ice cream is gonna win unless I'm with someone who is sno-cone crazy, then I won't make a big deal out of it. Also if what I stated in #9 is in play, sno-cone's are a distinct possibility.

11. What foods would be best to have such that a sno-cone would be the most taste-tacular dessert?
I dunno, I usually eat deserts by themselves. French fries?

12. Do you like to suck out a lot of the syrupy part then have a more icey experience later on, or do you try to maintain a consistent syrup/ice ratio throughout the whole experience, or do you eat the ice off the top and then have a syrupy reward at the end?
The middle one. The rest sound freakin weird.

1. Going with dad, getting first sno cone, thinking it was raw meat (it was some super red flavor).
2-14. Passing by the sno cone place and scoffing dismissively as I decide to get ice cream instead.

14. If you were going to have a sno-cone stand and you could only sell one other thing at that stand besides sno-cones, what would you sell and why?
Tacos, because apparently they really go well together.

Pretty....pretty pretty fine.

I don't care enough about sno-cones to experiment and I'm usually disappointed that I'm not getting ice cream instead, so I'll just get the blue one and be done.

Last Hour - 0
Last Day - 0
Last Week - 0
Last Month - 0
Last Year - 2?
Last Decade - 4
Lifetime - 4​

18. Do you ever find yourself craving sno-cones when it isn't even hot out? If so, what is the ratio of cold weather sno-cone cravings to hot weather sno-cone cravings?
Hell to the no.

19. If I got a gucci-mane-esque tattoo, but instead of ice cream cone it was a sno-cone, do you think I'd regret it in several years?
Probably, because there are only so many optimal spots on your body for rad tattoos and using one of the spots for a sno-cone tattoo would be a waste.

Sno-cones have historically served a purpose for poorer communities unitiated to ice cream or perhaps lactose intolerant. However, current genetic trends in lactose acceptance in the human body means over the succeeding generations more and more people will be able to partake in ice cream. As developing countries such as China, India, Brazil, etc see their average incomes rise, their affluent populations will wish to emulate the ice cream eating habits of more established developed nations. The spread of ice cream to these corners of the globe on the wave of globalization currently sweeping out political economies means sno-cones will soon be displaced to an ever smaller fraction of the ice treat market.

Nah I think I'm good.

Shouldn't this be a RD thread like the green alien attack one?

My favorite flavor is red. Who knows what is actually in it.

I try to stay away from yellow because it reminds me of yellow snow.

Can we mention Italian ice? You usually don't get as much ice, but I think the flavors tend to be a lot more natural.

Not a fan. Why eat sno-cone when you could have ice cream?

1. I love snow cones, but Azale, what if you could have both in one? That's the common thing here in Virginia. It's DELICIOUS.

Anything tropical, and lime. I love lime.

I really dislike grape and the blue flavor.

In certain mental states, I always want to try the "Soda-y" flavors like Root Beer, but never have the balls to pull the trigger.

Honestly, I feel like every flavor is covered.

Please, this must be rhetorical. An actual sno-cone.

As much as possible without becoming a liquid.

I mean, it's not pretentious when it's a bunch of hicks running a Christian store on the side of the road that sell "Sno-Cones for Jesus."

When I'm high, when it's hot outside, and when I'm high and it's hot outside.

Again, why get one when you can have both?

Something light to save room.

I try to be consistent with my sno/syrup ratio through the whole cone, but there is a certain appeal to sipping syrup at the end.

I'll only give 1. I was working on a really stressful project for a BS class when my dawg bursts into my room and screams "WANT SNO-TO-GO?" It was such a wonderful distraction.

Ice Cream because of the similarity.

I might be in the minority when I saw I do not like my ice finely shaven at all. I like big, thick pieces.

Mix, always.

Last Hour
Last Day
Last Week
Last Month
Last Year
Last Decade
Lifetime​

Last Hour - 0
Last Day - 0
Last Week - 0
Last Month -3
Last Year - 15 or so
Last Decade - 40 or so
Lifetime - 60 or so.

Very, very rarely. Like 1:100 ratio.

You will never regret anything Gucci Mane related.

They've had a long run, are still going strong, and have the legs to survive in this game for a long, long time.

They're better than most sex.

Snow cones are meh, haven't had one in a while

I've had a sno-cone once. Didn't like the taste of juice splattered on crushed ice that much.

I'd pick ice cream every time, although I might change my mind if I was really thirsty

How about using the sno-cone as a sort of semi-solid drink?

Last Decade
Lifetime​
One.

I am almost certain you will.

They're delicious, but the cone-structure seems to be an inefficient way to eat them, and they really strike me as being inferior to other carnival foods.
Blue Rasberry and Lemon-Lime. Screw actual fruits.
I'm not a big cherry person.
Orange, man. I love oranges and orange-flavored things, but I can't bring myself to imagine how it would be like in a sno-cone.
Lime. Non of this "lemon-" BS. I'm talking straight limey goodness.
The stuff in the dish sounds better, as sometimes the cone proves to be a hindrance.
As much as possible. I don't want to get one of those annoying bites of pure ice.
No. I don't think we have one here.
When it's very hot, and I desire something quenching and flavorful.
Ice cream cones aren't very good if I need my thirst quenched, but they are a little more filling, so I would choose an ice cream cone if I were hungrier than I were thirsty and a sno-cone if I were thirstier than I were hungry.
Burgers.
I do the last one if I'm feeling especially patient, but that's rare. I'll sometimes do the first one, but it always fills me with regret at the end.
I once ate 14 sno-cones at a church carnival thing and had some really colorful vomit afterwards. Can each sno-cone and the subsequent vomiting count its own memory?
T-shirts that say "I got the best damn sno-cone of my life at RANDOM'S SNO-CONE EXPEREINCE and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"
Very fine, but still distinguishable from Hawaiian shaved ice.
Occasionally I'll get the flavors side-by-side. I've never mixed them.
Last Hour​
None.
Last Day​
None.
Last Week​
None.
Last Month​
None.
Last Year​
None.
Last Decade​
Lifetime​
No. Sno-cones generally aren't a food I crave, but rather a food I'll eat if I happen to pass a sno-cone booth and it strikes me as desirable at the time.
Probably. I think facial tattoos are stupid in general, except Ethiopian Orthodox forehead crosses. And even those are questionable.
Indifferent.
This is a great thread, and you should come to this forum and your eponymous chat more often. I'm a HOP there now!

My answer to the first 18 questions is that "sno-cones are DERP!"

On #19, in a reverse-psychology kind of way, a sno-cone tatoo would be very cool, unless it was on Justin Bieber's navel.

#20 I feel that sno-cones embody the spirit of cheezy marketing in the capitalist societies of the democratic political landscape, which itself is centered on deceitful modifications of products. They also represent said societies obsession with diabetes-inducing substances, and simulated food substances. They are nothing more than shaved ice in a paper cup, dribbled with corn syrup (probably HIGH FRUCTOSE corn syrup), artificially flavored (e.g. salmon bisque) to resemble some natural substance that people in wealthier income brackets can afford to buy normally.

#21 I feel that sno-cones are less interesting than scatological humor.

I eat sno-cones the same way I eat those freeze-pop things.

Wait for it to melt and then drink it.

I liked sno-cones as a kid, laden with double syrup shots (single syrup shot didn't give enough high fructose corn syrup for kiddies looking for a sugar high). We had them as treats during elementary school Olympics.

Gotta say, I haven't had a sno-cone in years at this point. Next time I see one, I'm getting it for old times' sake.

Very good question out of all them.

I have to say if I was given the choice on how much syrup that can be squeezed out of the bottle, I say empty the sucker. I am curious what it would taste like.

Top Bottom