1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The old [I]V[/I], the new [I]V[/I], and Obama the Space Lizard

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Atticus, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Atticus

Atticus Deity Retired Moderator

I saw V when I was kid in the eighties, and liked it a lot then. Now I heard there's a new version of it, and watched the first episode. Some spoilers may follow.

The original V had it's oddities too. For example that no one seemed to be surprised by the human looks of the visitors. I remember there were anthropologists who were thrilled by it, but not surprised. This leads to other weird thing: that the visitors go through the effort of disguising themselves, when it's absolutely unbelievable that they would look just like us. Smarter visitors would of course come as they are, and the humans would just accept that they don't please our eye very much.

Now, my point is not to nit pick about the holes in the plot, but more about the reason the holes are there. The message of the series seems to be that the biggest crime of the visitors is that they don't look like us. It's the big secret they're trying to hide, and that's the truth the resistance eventually reveals to the world about them: They are ugly. Sure, they are going to rob all the water from our planet and eat us during the process, but that's just something added evilness.

The latter series, at least the first episode, makes people more skeptical about their looks, although not as much as they should be. So it almost avoids that plot hole, but that's not the big deal here, it seems their disgust for aliens is even bigger than the that of the first edition. In the 80s version it looks more like something unconscious that just slipped there, a plot hole indeed. In this new one it looks like it's deliberate agenda of the creators.

So, when I watched the first episode, I was first put off by the first reactions of the protagonists: They were all skeptical, not afraid, which would be normal in that situation, but just purely prejudiced and even judgmental. This was at first an aesthetic fault in my opinion: that the heroes are portrayed as infallible. Later it started to look like a message the creators are trying to put forward, a message that prejudice is a good thing, and it's always smart to doubt new things.

Now the thing gets really weird when there's some out of the place statements. The priest preaches that the visitors have to earn our trust first. Well, if they're giving us new technology and means to heal people, haven't they really done it already? Didn't they earn it when they didn't just announce we're their slaves, surely they have capacity for that if they are able to travel the stars. This gets explained later: They haven't earned it, and as a matter of fact, them bringing us universal health care is a proof of their evilness. This comes up in an interview with the chief visitor, and it really breaks the rhythm of the narrative, there's too long pauses, like the reporter was in shock about this atrocity they're planning on us:

Visitor: "We want to provide complete medical services to all."
    Interviewer: "You're talking about... Universal health care?"
    Visitor: "I believe that's what you call it, yes."

After the interview the reporter is told: "But you did the right thing. Compromising one's principles for the greater good is not a shameful act. It's a noble one." How could anyone say anything like this, if he's intention is not to tell that the reporter did the wrong thing? Seriously, it makes no sense at all! If he'd try to convince the reporter that he did the right thing, he would try to explain why the reporter didn't compromise his principles.

It took me longer to understand what this statement was about. Why do the American conservatives need to be reminded that they have to hold up their principles? The only explanation I came up with comes from "the greater good": even if it were established that the universal health care is for the greater good, it must be opposed because of the principle.

In conclusion, it seems like the new V is all about proving us that Obama is really a space lizard, and I have to admit the similarities are striking: In addition to universal health care, Obama is disguising himself with false birth certificate (and being half white, but let's not talk about that so our racism isn't so obvious. More seriously, I think that if Obama's both parents were black, his haters wouldn't have that big problem with him, because he'd be "honestly" black).

I'm going to watch some more episodes just to prove my hypothesis that it will be brain wash of the similar caliber.

2. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

:confused:
    Aww, I thought you mean't there was more of this coming...

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I loved V when I was a little boy growing up in Germany. I started watching the new V and aside from the occasional eye candy, it is pretty crappy and boring.

4. Atticus

Yes, crappy and boring are the right words for it. I'm not necessarily going to watch it much further. It's a shame, because I wanted to see if they were going to have a plot twist of replacing the president of USA by reptilian.

On aesthetic side, the old V explored the contact and life with visitors, which was good thing. In this new edition, they rush straight to the action, so they omit much of the best stuff. The fight against aliens isn't that interesting, what's interesting is the life with them. Also, as the result the characters have no other qualities than being on the one side or the other. I have no interest in them.

Wonder what the old V would look like these days though. Has growing up treated it as bad as Knight Rider?

5. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

One thing about old tv shows that does not hold up well is the special effects and sets. The biggest improvements in TV and movies in the past couple decades have been technical ones. Scripts and acting may or may not have gotten better, but visual effects certainly have.

6. Mojotronica

Mojotronica Expect Irony.

The reboot is boring and some plot elements seem poorly thought out. The "big, looming threat" in season 1 seems too easily crafted and then is way too easy to avert. The finale seems rushed like they felt the need to urgently tie up enough loose ends.

The original mini-series has elements of dumbness but was pretty good and had a quality, semi-bummer ending. The sequel mini-series, which had the resistance driving the Visitors away until the TV series ret-conned a way to bring them back, wasn't as good but was pretty fun. Traytunama.

The original TV series (post mini-series) was one the worst TV shows ever made. Cheap, recycled scenes and the cast all bailing out as the season progressed.

7. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

Should a mod get rid of those uneeded italics tags in the title?

8. Cynovolans

Cynovolans Not in my dimension.

If you think V is an allegory to president Obama then you're looking too deep into it. All the writers are doing is throwing in topics talked to death by the media just to show that the Visitors have been observing humans and our concerns for some time, instead of just randomly appearing and coincidentally being able to cure every issue that the media has brought up in the last few decades.

9. Atticus

Well, yes, I didn't actually think it was made solely as an allegory of Obama. It was more like I noticed a scene or two, where writers seemed to hint at him, and then went on to extrapolate it to Ickean conclusions. Just because it's fun :D

I still think that some scenes are more or less politically motivated, but it's of course hard to convince others of that. Mostly I think that if they go out of their way or disturb the pace of the narrative, there has to be a reason for that. Now after seeing one episode more, it starts to look like the reason is just crappy writing.

I won't mind if a mod possibly reading this would do so, but am not going to bother them with a PM.

10. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

You can do it yourself by editing the OP.

11. Atticus

Could do it only for the title that's in the text :(

12. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

If you think this is bad just wait till the Ayn Rand movie comes out.

13. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Speaking of which...

14. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

I watched the original V as a kid. I remember that it had a foreboding sense right from the beginning. When I saw it, I actually had no idea that the aliens were actually bloodthirsty conquerors who want to eat us and steal our water. As it was revealed, I remember being rather horrified. So I don't recall the plot holes of the original. It seemed well presented. The new one I didn't bother watching.

According to wikipedia, the screenplay was written as an allegory of Nazi occupation.