The old world - a cutdown of Giant Earth Map

I have noticed one weird thing.Playing as Saladin i get extremely high food production tiles.I have one tile not yet worked which produce 5 food!a wheat tile not yet worked 6 food!Does this map use modified rules or it is a bug?this is the screenshot.

About Makkah or anyway the first Arab city it should be located a lot farther in south Arabian Peninsula as it is now, first Arabian city is located in Jordan.

Like the Giant Earth Map, I placed many flood plain tiles near the world population centres. For Arabia/Israel, I gave them some as well just to give them some boost.

Check wiki for Arabs starting location. They actually start out in Jordan. The thing about this cutout map is that it doesn't use my mod and so will use the default city list to name cities. Therefore the first city is still called Mecca, not Petra as is in the Giant Earth Map.

I love this map. I played it with the Regiments and Formations Mod in vanilla Warlords. But then I patched Warlords with 2.08, and the Regiments and Formations Mod no longer loaded. So I tried the new Look and Feel Mod as I like unaltered gameplay with flaver type mods, but your Eurasia 18 map doesnt load with this mod. The Pantastic maps work just fine with Look and Feel Mod, but your Eurasia doesn't, which is a shame!

Do you have any suggestions.

I really wish I could play your 24 civ giant earth, but even with my AMD 3200, 2 Gig RAM, it falls to load after a while.

Anyway, great work.

Thanks

I love your original Giant Earth Map, except for a few minor complaints, including the Americas seems a little resource-sparse, and although it's great having that level of realism, sometimes it can be a bit TOO big... for instance, playing as China the Egyptians declared war on me and it took me something like 1,000 years to get my army over to their territory. 50 turns or so.

Aside from that my only SERIOUS gripe was that for whatever reason, I would also encounter those memory allocation errors that would crash the game starting around 900 or 1000 AD or so. I have a brand new Intel Core Duo 2 processor, 256 MB nVidia GeForce graphics card, 2.0 GHz processor speed, 2.0 GB of RAM... seems like that would be enough, and I never had any significant slowdown, but I still ran into that issue of the game crashing and ultimately this ruins the map if you can't even finish a game. =[

Hopefully the problem has been rectified on this version of the map. Any plans on doing a modded version with all the old world civilizations? I preferred your Giant Map with the Thai civilization over the one with the Celts. It just seemed so much more balanced having them there to fill in that huge gap between India and China. India and China already have good land, they don't need that much extra room to expand freely.

Also, can anyone explain to me how to change what CIVs are on a map to create a custom scenario? I'd like to maybe use this map in a big WWIII scenario... but I would change the Civs around. For instance I would definitely like to have the Americans in there, even if you couldn't see the New World on the map. But you could still make some cities American controlled (Baghdad, Jerusalem, The Phillipines) and put US units in several different places where we actually have military bases (Korea, Turkey, Germany, Saudi Arabia, etc.)
Other than that you could have the Persians representing Iran, the Koreans representing North Korea, the Arabs representing the Islamic/Arabic countries in Asia other than Iran and the Egyptians representing those in North and East Africa, maybe the Zulu representing Sub-Saharan Africa, the Greeks representing the Balkans and southeast Europe, and the Chinese, English, Germans, French, Spanish, Turks, Italians, Indians all representing themselves and the peripheral nations within their respective spheres of influence. I think those would most likely be all the major players anyway. Scandanavians could be thrown in as the Vikings, Celts could be Ireland and a vassal of the English, or the Thai Civ could represent moust of Southeast Asia. Mongols could perhaps represent former Soviet republics and be vassal to Russia. Lots of possibilities if I only knew how to MOD... right now I've only used the in-game map editor, which does not allow for changing Civs, leader names, or anything of that nature as far as I can tell.

I love your original Giant Earth Map, except for a few minor complaints, including the Americas seems a little resource-sparse, and although it's great having that level of realism, sometimes it can be a bit TOO big... for instance, playing as China the Egyptians declared war on me and it took me something like 1,000 years to get my army over to their territory. 50 turns or so.

Aside from that my only SERIOUS gripe was that for whatever reason, I would also encounter those memory allocation errors that would crash the game starting around 900 or 1000 AD or so. I have a brand new Intel Core Duo 2 processor, 256 MB nVidia GeForce graphics card, 2.0 GHz processor speed, 2.0 GB of RAM... seems like that would be enough, and I never had any significant slowdown, but I still ran into that issue of the game crashing and ultimately this ruins the map if you can't even finish a game. =[

Hopefully the problem has been rectified on this version of the map. Any plans on doing a modded version with all the old world civilizations? I preferred your Giant Map with the Thai civilization over the one with the Celts. It just seemed so much more balanced having them there to fill in that huge gap between India and China. India and China already have good land, they don't need that much extra room to expand freely.

Also, can anyone explain to me how to change what CIVs are on a map to create a custom scenario? I'd like to maybe use this map in a big WWIII scenario... but I would change the Civs around. For instance I would definitely like to have the Americans in there, even if you couldn't see the New World on the map. But you could still make some cities American controlled (Baghdad, Jerusalem, The Phillipines) and put US units in several different places where we actually have military bases (Korea, Turkey, Germany, Saudi Arabia, etc.)
Other than that you could have the Persians representing Iran, the Koreans representing North Korea, the Arabs representing the Islamic/Arabic countries in Asia other than Iran and the Egyptians representing those in North and East Africa, maybe the Zulu representing Sub-Saharan Africa, the Greeks representing the Balkans and southeast Europe, and the Chinese, English, Germans, French, Spanish, Turks, Italians, Indians all representing themselves and the peripheral nations within their respective spheres of influence. I think those would most likely be all the major players anyway. Scandanavians could be thrown in as the Vikings, Celts could be Ireland and a vassal of the English, or the Thai Civ could represent moust of Southeast Asia. Mongols could perhaps represent former Soviet republics and be vassal to Russia. Lots of possibilities if I only knew how to MOD... right now I've only used the in-game map editor, which does not allow for changing Civs, leader names, or anything of that nature as far as I can tell.

Thanks for loving my maps. I think this cutout version performs about the same as Rhye's huge earth map.

About the MAF:

the MAF is a bug in the Firaxis code. It has nothing to do with any maps or mods. Well, let me say this more precise:

The Firaxis team coded rather sloppily. As long as you stay inside the Firaxis limits (vanilla Civ4 or Warlords, maximum huge map, using the suggested computer setup) you'll probably "never" face a MAF.

BUT: whenever the save game gets too large (2 MB seems to be the point of no return for most people), a MAF is coming your way sooner or later.

What makes a MAF more likely?

- Mods with a lot of changes which increase save game size
- huge or gigantic maps -> increases save game size
- a computer that is at the minimum requirements for Civ4

What does help against the MAF?

- a patch from Firaxis (nope, they won't make one for this bug)
- a workaround designed by a community person (on its way, though not yet out)
- limiting the size of the save game. The larger the mods you use, the smaller the map has to be (and vice versa)
- saving and restarting often delays the MAF for some turns
- more memory / better CPU (nope, this doesn't get rid of the MAF either)
- lowering settings (while this doesn't reduce save game size, it allows your comp to cope better with the bug)

So as it stands, there is no real solution to MAF issues for now. The workaround will probably be published "soon" (TM), but even that workaround will not be perfect.

Try out which limitation you are most comfortable with (map size, settings, mod vs unmodded).

Try playing Genghis Kais Giant Earth map with ViSa 3 ^^. I got a MAF at turn 4 :D. Oh, 10 secs for the first turn btw. And thats using a Athlon XP 64 3200+ with 2 GB RAM.

About the MAF:

the MAF is a bug in the Firaxis code. It has nothing to do with any maps or mods. Well, let me say this more precise:

The Firaxis team coded rather sloppily. As long as you stay inside the Firaxis limits (vanilla Civ4 or Warlords, maximum huge map, using the suggested computer setup) you'll probably "never" face a MAF.

BUT: whenever the save game gets too large (2 MB seems to be the point of no return for most people), a MAF is coming your way sooner or later.

What makes a MAF more likely?

- Mods with a lot of changes which increase save game size
- huge or gigantic maps -> increases save game size
- a computer that is at the minimum requirements for Civ4

What does help against the MAF?

- a patch from Firaxis (nope, they won't make one for this bug)
- a workaround designed by a community person (on its way, though not yet out)
- limiting the size of the save game. The larger the mods you use, the smaller the map has to be (and vice versa)
- saving and restarting often delays the MAF for some turns
- more memory / better CPU (nope, this doesn't get rid of the MAF either)
- lowering settings (while this doesn't reduce save game size, it allows your comp to cope better with the bug)

So as it stands, there is no real solution to MAF issues for now. The workaround will probably be published "soon" (TM), but even that workaround will not be perfect.

Try out which limitation you are most comfortable with (map size, settings, mod vs unmodded).

Try playing Genghis Kais Giant Earth map with ViSa 3 ^^. I got a MAF at turn 4 :D. Oh, 10 secs for the first turn btw. And thats using a Athlon XP 64 3200+ with 2 GB RAM.

Thanks for letting us know about the workaround coming soon. Is there a thread for this fix that you could point me to find out more info?

Giant Earth Map + ViSa 3 ... Thats asking for trouble :crazyeye:

Just as info: I played a modified version of your giant Earth (600 less flood plains, but 700 more resources) to turn 140, without MAF. It seems the fix is working. I don't know how long it will work though, as it is only a workaround.

my suggestion to anyone that wants to play those great maps on a regular base:

Nag Firaxis. Send them emails. Nag them in every Civ4 forum you know. Get your friends to do so as well. Just get them to understand, that fixing this MAF bug is the #1 priority if they won't be known as liars concerning the "oh so great modability" of Civ4. Because this one bug is what holds back the development of all big mods and maps.

Mind you, it will not be easy to repair this bug, or better, its easy but means a lot of work. But it will be worth it, because Firaxis can get sooo many ideas from the Civ4 modding community that can be used for Civ5.

Or as we say here: "a computer game company shouldn't beat the community that feeds it / buys their games".

Just as info: I played a modified version of your giant Earth (600 less flood plains, but 700 more resources) to turn 140, without MAF. It seems the fix is working. I don't know how long it will work though, as it is only a workaround.

my suggestion to anyone that wants to play those great maps on a regular base:

Nag Firaxis. Send them emails. Nag them in every Civ4 forum you know. Get your friends to do so as well. Just get them to understand, that fixing this MAF bug is the #1 priority if they won't be known as liars concerning the "oh so great modability" of Civ4. Because this one bug is what holds back the development of all big mods and maps.

Mind you, it will not be easy to repair this bug, or better, its easy but means a lot of work. But it will be worth it, because Firaxis can get sooo many ideas from the Civ4 modding community that can be used for Civ5.

Or as we say here: "a computer game company shouldn't beat the community that feeds it / buys their games".

Well, can you let us know where can we find this fix :)

I love this map. Not only is it really accurate, but all of the resources make the gameplay more intense and interesting.

I especially playing as one of the European civs. Is there any way to just cut out this map's Europe and make a map out of that? That would be a lot easier on my computer.

I started a game on this map as Asoka, all standard settings, as mentioned previously... my machine is a brand new PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2.0 GHz, 2.0 GB of RAM, 80 GB hard drive, 256 MB nVidia GeForce graphics cards, Windows Vista operating system.
Everything went smoothly up until I tried to save the game circa 1600 A.D., which was much further than I ever got on the full size map. At this point I got the same memory allocation error, the game crashed and the save file won't load. =( I was almost done with the game by 1600 already, thanks to the super overabundance of food and resources on this map, but still... wasn't able to finish. Very disappointing. I guess I'll wait on the fix before trying again. :(

when i started mongolian I have unfoged terrian in the place of france starting location

when i started mongolian I have unfoged terrian in the place of france starting location

Oh? How come no one else has reported this? I can have a check on this.

now I think it's maybe because I've enter worldbuilder in a map before yours, it shoudn't have any affect but it's possible

Look in the BtS Version thread of the full Giant earth, I did post a file (GEM-parts) that includes one old world and one Eurafrica cut.

Bastian-Bux,
Can you please be more specific regarding the location of that file (GEM-parts) that includes one old world and one Eurafrica cut.

I have trouble finding it.:blush:
Thanks

Top Bottom