The "OMG! Look what happened!" Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by ZachScape, Apr 12, 2009.

1. scu98rkr

scu98rkr Prince

Yeah that was a change quite a few of us petitioned for.

I'd still prefer it if the number of European units you get free was linked to your strength ie weaker civs get less units.

2. nody

nody Emperor

I'd also like to see a civ like Japan getting Samurai instead of Knights, because the Samurai were actually Japanese (horseless) knights.

Better yet, if a civ doesn't have a horse resource: Give them Macemen instead (for Japan that would be Samurai). If they have ivory, but no horses, give them War Elephants instead.

3. Moshe Dayan

Moshe Dayan Da General

Ohhhh.

Right. My bad.

:crazyeye: Maybe I should have posted the American spawn with the Islamic Missionary instead...

4. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Definetly an OMG moment. This happened in my new Land of the Rus -story. Check it out!

5. emeralddude

emeralddude Utopia?

What's OMG about it?

6. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

It is nearly impossible to find a nation willing to trade Civil Service.

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

At Friendly, the AI hoards no techs, except maybe the spaceship ones, not sure of that.

8. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

And Civil Service. Even at friendly civs don't trade it.

9. nody

nody Emperor

True. That's why I research Civil Service first, before Guilds and Engineering, as Spain, Germany, Russia, etc.

And use Portugal and Netherlands to trade it for Guilds or Engineering.
    Though I recently learned it's better to steal them using a GSpy...

10. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

Really? Why doesn't the AI want to trade civil service, of all techs?

11. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

Maybe the many embassies make it seem more valuable to the AI than it really is.

12. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

No, it's the macemen. I usually do the opposite: steal guilds and engineering, build everything up (walls/castles, grocers) and get civil service in 3 turns' worth of research (because lots of people know it by then). Macemen are only good for attacking and I never attack after I exhaust my initial troops, and they are eaten alive by knights outside cities and city raider cannons inside cities.
    And I never use bureaucracy, not until Rhye gets rid of the rapidly escalating instability (after 5?! cities).

13. nody

nody Emperor

Civ4ScreenShot0115.JPG

Never seen them founding Buenos Aires here... :rolleyes:

(Note to noobs: Normally they found it one tile north on the river)

14. corovanrobber

corovanrobber King

They do that all the time. I'd once thought of forbidding Spain to settle that plot, for it annoys me greatly!

15. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

France wanted to expand somewhere else than "the usual spots". So, they conquered Italy, Spain and indy Germany (both respawned), and expanded to New Zealand, Morocco, Tasmania and Madagascar. Napoleon liked the island so much that he built THREE cities there, and also 6 in Canada. Although France became unstable, they didn't collapse by 1987 (when I won a Cultural Victory as the Aztecs).

The game also featured a massive Russia with over 30 cities from Berlin and Umea to the Pacific coast. It collapsed however before I made these screenshots. When it respawned, it took 2 minutes to compute.

Attached Files:

16. astrognash

astrognash TXT_KEY_CUSTOM_USER_TITLE

Is it normal for France to reach the new world before Spain, and for them to conquer Chichen Itza and the other city southwest of it? I always get faster at reaching the new world, and every time, I think, "Haha! I've got to have beaten France and Spain this time!" only to find a French Caravel has reached the Yucatan Peninsula before I got there.

17. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 King

It is indeed a regular occurence that another civ than Spain get the conquerors event. Which civ are you playing as, in your example?

18. Theodorick

Theodorick King

I tried rfc epic on dawn of civilization, and wanted to make a Greek colonial empire. I did get a lot of colonies, but not near enough to consider myself a colonial superpower. Maybe a regional superpower though?

1. I know, I made WAY too many cities. It's a problem I have, and throws my research out of whack. I still am on par with everyone else though. Call it me wanting to have my map full of cities. :D The second city I founded was Knosses, because I wanted to found Zoroastrianism and Christianity there, and then make it a trade supercity. I then founded Alexandreia to put pressure on Egypt. It all worked out nicely! The OMG moment was that I ended up being a Zoroastrian superpower until the 17th century. :lol:

2. I took my original galley, with one chariot and worker in it, and sailed all the way around Africa and Asia, and conquered Pagan shortly after it spawned. Since I wanted to be a colonial power, I started early! This was actually a pretty good idea, since I had endless contact with Asia before I was even near getting optics.

3. I notice Greece can get real powerful. This is sometimes the state of the game when I start as America! The only reason I couldn't become an insane colonial power was because Rhye's map doesn't allow for a lot of Greek new world and east Asian colonialism, but if it did, I'd put Spain to shame with how easy this was when I got going.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      254.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      241.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      177.3 KB
      Views:
  19. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

Watch out for those uncivilized, ferocious barbarian workers! :lol:

Attached Files:

• lasa.jpg
      lasa.jpg
      File size:
      342.7 KB
      Views:
  20. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

It's 1703, and a stable Greece is barely edging me out of 1st place on the score chart with an 8-city empire in Southeast Europe. :eek: And they didn't even have the Great Wall, since I'm playing China and there's no way I was going to let anybody else have it.

EDIT: Next turn. Make that 9 cities... (second pic)

EDIT 2: Some turns later, Spain has vassalized to Greece.

Attached Files: