The "OMG! Look what happened!" Thread

Civs have different spawn dates in RFC RAND? That explains a lot.

America is a latin word

It's actually Vespucci's last name, an Italian guy who does stuff that I don't remmber and probably doesnt afraid of anything.

But that ROme screen shot is around turn 54, which is pretty far along for no reiligion. Shouldn't Judaism been founded by then too, by an indpendent city?

Reminds me of a comedy act I once saw. To paraphrase: "Why did America have to get the Puritans, coming over on the Mayflower with their sexual repression and Protestant work ethic? Why couldn't we get the Italians, coming over on some party boat with a cappuccino machine?"

Okey, back to the screenies:

What's up with Peter?!?

Then some quite rarely seen cities (at least for me):

Spoiler :

the one on create is retty rare, so is the fact cathage has attacked egyt and egyt have taken jerusalem.

This is in RFCE, those Ottomans are stronger than everyone else combined :crazyeye:
They weren't fighting anyone at that time, a few turns later They declared war on me (Genoa) and sent all kinds of ships at my Cyprus city and my Crete city. Luckily, still no land troops sent to get me.

Is this a right assumption?

If Italy was a unified country (like Spain) in the Age of Exploration, Latin America would speak Italian?
I LOL'ed at you claiming there is an Italian "language" it is an artificial construct
Reminds me of a comedy act I once saw. To paraphrase: "Why did America have to get the Puritans, coming over on the Mayflower with their sexual repression and Protestant work ethic? Why couldn't we get the Italians, coming over on some party boat with a cappuccino machine?"
Or "Why did America have to get the Puritans, coming over on the Mayflower with their sexual repression, lunacy, lynch mob mentality and the Protestant 'work ethic' (pfft)?" seriously they were insane

This is in RFCE, those Ottomans are stronger than everyone else combined :crazyeye:
They weren't fighting anyone at that time, a few turns later They declared war on me (Genoa) and sent all kinds of ships at my Cyprus city and my Crete city. Luckily, still no land troops sent to get me.
you look like you are going to get raped

Actually, it's the latin version of Vespucci's first name, Amerigo.

Or it's a Latinization of the surname of Richard Ameryk (or Amerike) , who often visited America (Newfoundland) and for whom there are several references to 'Ameryka' or 'Amerika'. That's why it's Colombia and Tasmania (after Dutch sailor Abel Tasman) and Bolivia and The Cook Islands and so so many others- it was always the surname, unless the name was royal (hence the Philippines and the many Alexandria-s.) On this evidence, I would say (Vespucci not being royal) America is named after Ameryk.

Or "Why did America have to get the Puritans, coming over on the Mayflower with their sexual repression, lunacy, lynch mob mentality and the Protestant 'work ethic' (pfft)?" seriously they were insane.

Actually, Puritans were actually outnumbered by 'Strangers' who simply sought a better life. Which they, on the balance, did not get. I suppose their great-great-great etc. grandchildren did though.

But that is off topic. Screenies! Unfortunately I haven't been playing with any interesting things happening (Babylon is such a short game!) but I will watch this thread.

Chinese isn't a language, but a language group containing: Mandarin, Wu, Cantonese and Min.

For a very, very long time Italian wasn't a language, but a language group containing Florentine, Milanese, Neapolitan, etc... All Italian. People still say 'speak Chinese' very often.

For a very, very long time Italian wasn't a language, but a language group containing Florentine, Milanese, Neapolitan, etc...
I really have to agree on this.
Italy for many centuries (from the fall of Rome until the 19th century) was not united in a country, but divided into many small states.
The language inevitably drifted away with some strong "help" from invading powers that contributed to the mess.
Only at the end of 19th century with the unification of Italy a common Italian language was established.
People still spoke their own dialect or local language, but the newly born Italian Kingdom elected the high-language of Florence as national language.
(high language meaning the language used in literature, to distinguish it from the day-to-day language of people).

Dialects where used much more than the national language until the 20th century when the government with the help of mass media (radio and TV) pretty much erased the use of dialects and local languages from common use.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting, but nowadays at least you can speak of the official Italian language, although it's not very old.

You know, it's often difficult to draw the line between what is a dialect and what is a different language.
I believe my first language, Dutch, was a German dialect once. As Afrikaans was a Dutch dialect, it's now a different language.

Top Bottom