the oobs 3rd pitboss game (Warlords), 14 players

the oob

Retired PTBS host
Details:

* Warlords
* 14 players (though expecting less as a few probably won't show up to the accelerated start).
* Two hour accelerated start at 1am UTC time (the same thing as GMT time I think), saturday the 14th of April, this includes setting up time. Check when this will be for you here, but bear in mind daylight savings time if you have an adjustment for it approaching, so I suggest checking the day before the game to be sure, I've had people turn up an hour early/late before. I can't pick a time which is good for everyone, but this should at least be good for NZ/Oz/America. For NZ'ers: I think this will be 1pm for us, but check beforehand. Any Europeans/others who feel like playing at ludicrous hours are welcome, you'll only have to do it once.
* Map: Terra, Huge. Make sure your computer can handle a map of this size, especially in the late game.
* Turns: simultaneous, 24 hour timer
* No barbarians (prevents early game imbalance)
* Technology trading will be on. I want to have a game where pretty much everyone can get to the modern age (eventally), so this should help with that, and keep things more balanced than they have been with the current game.
* Default difficulty (noble I think) for everyone
* Balanced resources
* No war until 3500BC, to prevent very early rushes, however you may make preparations for war before this date, as long as it doesn't require declaring war.

All other options are default.

The rules for the game can be found here, please take the time to read them as I will assume everyone playing has.

What you need to do if you want in:

1) Post here with your choice of leader, email address, and MSN address (you must post the leader on this thread, but you can PM your email address and/or MSN address to me if you prefer). Since we’ll be meeting on MSN for the accelerated start (see below) you will need this program or some equivalent, and you’ll need to add me to your contact list: the_oob[at]hotmail.com. Bear in mind this is different from my email address, which is theoob[at]gmail.com (and note that the former has an underscore, but the latter does not, don’t mix them up).

Warlords allows duplicate leaders, so you don't need to worry about someone taking your choice. However if you have a few leaders you'd be equally happy with, preferably take a unique one for the sake of variety, same goes for civilizations.

2) I am currently running a test server for people to try out before we start the game. When you’ve completed step 1 I’ll PM you with instructions on how to connect to this server (ip address, password, etc.), try it out. Please give the test server a try before the accelerated start session, so you can contact me if you have difficulties getting in and we can get it sorted out.

I'll also ask you to connect to it using Hamachi (download it from here) since you'll need to do that for the accelerated start. The details you need for that will be send to you with the aforementioned PM.

Bear in mind that it’s just a test server, I will be restarting the server for when the game starts, as explained below.

3) You must attend the accelerated start session detailed above.

There will only be one of these sessions, just to get through the early part of the game where turns will pass very quickly. You are required to be in the game from whenever we start (which will hopefully be within half an hour of the planned time) to 3am UTC time.

After that people can leave as they wish. Anyone who leaves beforehand will be given time to reconnect (and should contact me on MSN as soon as possible, I will leave it on during the game for this reason), but if it becomes apparent that they won’t be back for the rest of the session they will be left out if the game hasn't started yet, or replaced by an AI for the remainder if it has started (in which case they will be able to take the game back later, they are still considered to be in the game).

For this session we will be meeting on MSN first, I will add you to a group conversation as soon as I see you online. Once everyone there is ready and it's past 1.10am UTC we'll start, so while I plan for 14 players I expect there to be a few less as chances are some won't show up. Try to arrive early, but remember that we’re meeting on MSN, not in the game, since I'll be restarting the server once we start, so I can exclude those who haven’t showed up rather than have a bunch of AI run empires.

4) After the accelerated start we will have no more planned times for everyone to be on, so all you need to do from then on is take your turns. We'll be using civstats for email notification, I'll set this up and send out an email about it after the accelerated start session.

Dealing with outages: if you can't get in, try again 15 minutes later. If you still can't get in, let me know and I'll load from a previous save if asked to do so (but only if it's due to a problem on my end). I've moved recently and my connection here is more stable than my old one, but there will be outages now and again for whatever reason.

Current players (may be out of date) (note: Warlords allows duplicate leaders/civs)

the oob (AKA Kim Jong-il): Wang Kon, Korea
CB Droege: Gandhi, India
Crazy Joe: Catherine, Russia
TopDog (AKA Spike): Elizabeth, England
fuse (AKA Dr. Strangelove): Elizabeth, England (remember, duplicates are allowed in Warlords)
classical_hero: Huayna Capac, Inca
Bolkonski: Isabella, Spain
Makahlua (AKA Sabriane): Roosevelt, America
da_Vinci: Montezuma, Aztecs
whiplash_CDC: Alexander, Greece (randomed)
Oyzar: Mansa Musa, Mali
burlicconi: Qin Shi Huang, China

Hi, I would like to join. Random civ for me.

I dont use MSN ,I use YIM. I have Hamachi loaded......probably just need to update it. I will PM you my e-mail adddress.

Thx

Hi, I would like to join. Random civ for me.

I dont use MSN ,I use YIM. I have Hamachi loaded......probably just need to update it. I will PM you my e-mail adddress.

Thx

You'll need to get MSN or at least some client that can use the network (eg. Trillian, which can use both the Yahoo and MSN networks).

Well I would like to play. I`m in 6 other pitboss games and play my turns regularly. I even recently started a Chinese Unification pitboss moded game without sim turns (that took some getting used to), but I refuse to download MSN or any more chat programs. I have enough already :). Thx

Well I would like to play. I`m in 6 other pitboss games and play my turns regularly. I even recently started a Chinese Unification pitboss moded game without sim turns (that took some getting used to), but I refuse to download MSN or any more chat programs. I have enough already :). Thx

I wouldn't install or use MSN ever (although it's already on all Windows machines anyway, if I'm not mistaken), but to switch from a single-protocoll client like YIM or ICQ to a multi-protocoll client like Gaim, Miranda, Trillian etc. makes perfect sense. Open source clients eat less ressources, too.

I would be interested to join, playing Isabella. I will PM my email/MSN address

I'd like to play if there is a place for me. I'll take France, Napo...

sorry, I didn't see there was an accelerated start thet I will not be able to play at this date. So I prefer not to participate to this game...

Well I could relay any information since I have Trillian and thus I can bet the go to man for the accelerated start.

Thanks for the offer Classical Hero. If oob is willing to do it this way for me ,(for the acclerated start), then I would like to be counted in...... Thx

Well I could relay any information since I have Trillian and thus I can bet the go to man for the accelerated start.

Had a quick look on the net, turns out there are web based MSN messengers. Try using this, and see if you can message me through it (I'm currently at work so I won't be on MSN for about 9 hours). If you can do so, you're in.

I'm willing to accept any alternatives as long as things appear the same on my side, so I would reject the 'relay through someone else' idea because you won't appear in the conversation list, but I will accept web based clients as long as it looks the same to me.

I'd like to join - I'll PM you my contact info. :)

To Conquistador, I've used some of the web-browser MSN clients before from Africa on vacation and they work ok without a download. Trying to remember the name.... meebo or something? Hmm.

Leader:

Ottomans by Mehmed

And that's Friday April 13th 9pm Toronto time... and that Friday night I have a meeting that runs until 11:30pm. :( I guess I'm out. That sucks - this sounds like a good game.

No chance of playing sometime (anytime) on the Saturday (Eastern time) instead? :D

Just thought about it - and if you're mainly trying to get Eastern North America + some of Europe + NZ/AU, wouldn't the best time for an accelerated start be one where its:

AM in US/Canada
midday in Europe
late evening in AU/NZ?

The current one is the middle of the night for Europeans/South Africans.

Just thought about it - and if you're mainly trying to get Eastern North America + some of Europe + NZ/AU, wouldn't the best time for an accelerated start be one where its:

AM in US/Canada
midday in Europe
late evening in AU/NZ?

The current one is the middle of the night for Europeans/South Africans.

I set the time so it would be evening for america and midday for NZ/AU, I've sacrificed Europe for the common good, but will get a few who are willing to play the start at crazy hours.

I set the time so it would be evening for america and midday for NZ/AU, I've sacrificed Europe for the common good, but will get a few who are willing to play the start at crazy hours.

Fair enough. I reread your original post and saw that. Oops.

So any chance on starting on the Sunday 1am UTC instead? ;) I've been wanting to do an accelerated start PTBS for a while now.

Fair enough. I reread your original post and saw that. Oops.

So any chance on starting on the Sunday 1am UTC instead? ;) I've been wanting to do an accelerated start PTBS for a while now.

I probably should have made it that time in the first place, but I don't want to start changing things around now, sorry.

Top Bottom