1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ottoman's ability doesn't work

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jim Bro, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

Me and my friend played with the Ottomans and it seems like luck isn't on our side. do you get that 50% chance that a barbarian galley join our side advantage? cuz we didn't.

2. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

It worked for me prepatch.
    I have not played Ottomans postpatch ... yet.

3. Babri

Babri Emperor

Did you parked your ship next to the barbarian ship ?

4. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

I have not played the Ottomans post-patch but I played him quite often pre-patch and I have noticed that sometimes you can miss the 50/50 five, ten, even more times in a row and sometimes you can get every damn ship there is. So it can be just bad luck. But as I said, I haven't played the Ottomans post-patch.

5. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

You dont need to destroy the barbarian ship you need to put your ship next to it olso you have more change if there isn"t a barbarian next to it so if there is a barbarian camp next to the ship(or ship) take the camp and move your ship next to it!!!

key: dont destroy it but move next to it...

6. Rick80

Rick80 Chieftain

You have to park your navy next to the barbarian ship, you don't destroy it. I played also post patch and it's worked well

7. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

Yeah, I think killing isn't enough. You have to end your turn one tile away from a barb ship, right?

Edit: Nvm, i haven't seen apokalypse's post. I'm blind -_-

8. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

To make this ability work you must have at least 2 or 3 tiremes(later caravaels) to explore a few turns later i had like 7 tireme or caravales

9. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

don't forget to find some barb camps out in the islands and sit there. kill the spawned land units and wait for naval ships. You can keep it up all game and eventually get destroyers.

10. Jim Bro

ok so to convert a barb ship i need to park my ship next to it and just wait a turn. what if i attack it at close range? what if i attack it at long range? can you be more precise THX GUYS.

11. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

DON'T attack. You move your ship in the tile Next to the ship. If it doesn't change to you, it won't so then you attack

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I believe you just move next to it. If it doesn't convert right away, you can shoot it. The trick is to be directly next to it.

13. Raethwyn

Raethwyn Warlord

All that is required that your naval unit to move into a hex adjacent to the barbarian naval unit. When this happens the game rolls for the 50% chance once, and only once per ship. If the roll fails to convert the unit on first contact, then that barbarian ship is flagged so that it can never be converted. Each barbarian ship is flagged individually so any newly found ships can be converted on a successful roll.

14. anandus

anandus Errorist

Is this also how it works for the German UA? Move a warrior next to a barb and voila?

15. Raethwyn

Raethwyn Warlord

No. For the German UA to work, you actually have to kill the unit inside the barbarian camp. I don't know enough about it to say whether using a ranged attack to kill it would work, or if you have to finish it with a melee unit.

16. ButSam

ButSam King

At least pre-patch, if my memory serves (been awhile since I played them) the check was only made if you were immediately adjacent (not just in firing range 2 squares away), and seemed to be made only once per vessel (so if it didn't convert, you had no hope of converting that same vessel on subsequent turns).

17. turtlefang

turtlefang Warlord

Killing the unit in the barb camp doesn't activate the German UA. You have to actually move a unit into the empty camp. With a melee unit, you always advance into the hex of the unit you destroyed if you attacked. With a melee unit, if the barb unit attacks you from the camp - or you kill it with a ranged unit - you have to actually advance into the camp to activate the "conversion".

ANY UNIT can move into the barb camp and then you either get the gold or a barb unit plus the gold. The only thing that matters is that a German unit occupied the camp (even a worker, GG, settler will do). The camp disappears as soon as it occupied so you only get one chance.

And if the camp is empty, the nearest barb unit will move as quickly as possible to occupy the camp OR, if its the right turn, the camp will spawn a new unit which will occupy the camp.

BTW, thanks for the information on the Otto UA - I haven't played them yet but was going to try them next. I would have gone about killing all the enemy naval units trying to covert them rather than park next them. It would just never have occurred to me to try it that way.

18. Raethwyn

Raethwyn Warlord

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I always wondered what the mechanic behind that UA was. I had no idea it centered around capturing the barbarian camp itself. The wording for both the Ottoman and German UAs could be more specific.

19. Jim Bro

yeah thx for the info people and indeed they could clarify this a little more...

20. Jim Bro

perhaps i should start a thread about the german UA because it's no clearer than the Ottoman one.