The outdated tech you use (and why)

I can't really think of anything outdated I use. My toaster isn't very good, I wouldn't mind a newer/better toaster.

At least flip phones have decent battery life!

Smartphones have fantastic battery life if you disable data and wifi and don't install any apps or games.

They're fast and efficient and unless you need a hi res copy of some text, they're really great for instant transfers.

Faxes are brutal. My office uses an web service to both send and receive faxes, and I assume every other modern office does as well, so it just becomes a bunch of extra steps to email each other.

When I am conducting interviews, either HR or or for sports, I almost always use pencil and paper. No computers, rarely a sound recorder.

I still heavily favor physical media when it comes to music, movies, and video games. I dont trust the cloud, likely a side effect of growing up in a rural area with shoddy internet. Plus in terms of streaming i dont like my entertainment abilities to be dependent on major corporations agreeing at a given time.

Also prefer desktops and laptops to tablets. I can deal with touch screen use for short bursts on a smart phone, but I have minimal interest doing it constantly.

Texting allows me to send dirty messages to girls from my cube. That alone makes it worthwhile.

Well, sure, texting works for you handsome heads inside of boxes, you get all the women texting you. We diminutive Romans have to hold our own spears. I personally get a lot of practice.

I drive a '92 model Kilgore Rangerette. I really need to upgrade to a '95. Getting from point A to point M is a breeze though.

An old android from years ago, cuz I smashed my galaxy s 3 in a fit of rage, and a 2008 hp laptop with 32 bit vista because my 2009 better laptop with Win 7 Pro 64 bit (non-native, started out with vista 64 bit) died.

Also, I prefer physical media over digital downloads (except open source media), because I've heard that you don't really "own" the media if it's a digital download, so I prefer cds, bluray, and dvds.

Also, I have an ancient 16 *mega*byte flash drive from dell.

I still use Windows XP, I write things down on paper and I like to read hard-copies of novels, rather than electronically.

does a land line phone count as obsolete?

Other than that, I can't think of any.

For architectural design work I still use tracing paper + pencil + pen + markers instead of using a computer.

Oh, How I hate cash only shops. My friends work at a cash only coffee shop. Any time I stop by in, I always forget and I can never buy anything to drink. He does give me free stuff, but I'm 30+ years old, I shouldn't have to have my friends give me free food anymore.

Try living in a cash only country.

They don't even use checks so if they buy something really expensive like a house or a car they just bring a briefcase full of cash and the biggest bill is worth only around $25.

I can't really think of anything outdated I use. My toaster isn't very good, I wouldn't mind a newer/better toaster.

My mom still uses a toaster that says made in west germany on it.

I refuse to use electronics to take down lecture notes. The act of writing helps me to remember the material.

Using cash provides a little physical obstacle that guards against impulse purchases.

I forgot, I also still use an old cassette deck. It serves well to play old fairy tale cassettes (that I listened to as a kid) to my kids :)

I refuse to use electronics to take down lecture notes. The act of writing helps me to remember the material.

Yeah, that's exactly my thought process as well. Also, transcribing recorded material takes foreverrrrr, and I can't afford to pay somebody to do that for me.

I forgot, I drive an older car (2002), which has a bad radio and no USB port, so I still regularly burn and use CDs for music.

Top Bottom