1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The over powering Zulu

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by The Navy Seal, Aug 7, 2006.

1. The Navy Seal

The Navy Seal Emperor

Yes but in a mod that I play Shaka is organised, expansive, and agressive.

It's not -civic. And yes in the late game it would be effective.

2. gdgrimm

gdgrimm Prince

With Shaka, you may want to rethink that order. The Ikhanda gives almost 1/2 as much benefit as a Courthouse, and can be built with a lot less than 1/2 as many base hammers (due to Aggressive trait making the 1 hammer on Ikhanda worth 2 hammers on Courthouse). I would suggest making the Ikhanda the first thing to build.

Ikhanda costs 60 hammers to build, but you actually only need to generate 30.
    Courthouse requires 120 hammers to build. And you have to generate all 120.

So for 1/4 the hammer cost, you get almost 1/2 the maintenance benefit by building an Ikhanda instead of a Courthouse. That's not a deal to pass up.

3. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

and you get units with 3xp being buit there. I always build the Ikhanda before building any unit and certainly before building anything else.

4. Tavenier

Tavenier King

And remember that the Zulu building is the first available building and never obsoletes. The America, Russian or German buildings are quite good too, but have a very small time-span. The Zulu building is useful for 6000 years!

5. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

I play Earth Standard Epic Noble, 18 Civ's (won't do 24 for me!)

Shaka owns Hannibal and Rameses II by the time I meet him as the English/Americans/MesoAmericans, and if I don't get into his ribs more or less straight away he rolls up Saladin/Cyrus and Asoka by the Middle Ages.

Normally Kublai/Genghis or the chinese guys seem to fight him to a standstill by the early 1800's.

Shaka is the Dude early on, no doubt!

6. gdgrimm

gdgrimm Prince

OK. So I'm playing Shaka this game, and noticed something that I hadn't noticed before...

The Impi upgraded to Pikeman, but kept it's mobility Promotion. That would seem to indicate that building lots of them early (even if you don't really feel you need them), could lead to a fast moving Grenadier or Infantry Army later in the game. Or for a peacenik, a wonderful counter attack force of Riflemen that move as well as Cavalry.

Is this true of all UU's or leader traits that bestow special promotions?

7. Virvini

Virvini Chieftain

Yes, this is true of all units that start with special promotions. When you upgrade them, all their promotions follow. The 3 early units that I know of are the Impi (Mobility), the Beserker (Amphibious), and the Gallic Warrior (Guerilla 1).

8. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

Numidian Cavalry get Flanking I; All Protective leaders grant Drill I and CG I which follow as their units upgrade; The Celtic Dun gives Guerilla I to all Archery, Recon, and Gunpowder units; The Viking Trading Post gives Navigation I to all ships.

9. oneeye

oneeye Chieftain

Shaka's Ai is a lot nicer than Ragnar and Brennus, those guys are real pains in the A.

10. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

While I don't think it would necessarily make Zulus overpowered as a CIV, their UB definately ranks in the top 5. I also think that the upgrade trick could be exploited as well, making their UU much more useful. Eventually having infantry with 2 movement would be excellent. Now if Shaka had better traits...

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The Mobility promotion does NOT allow you to move two, it just means that all tiles only cost you 1 promotion... so it is useless on units that move 1 (Pikemen, Riflemen, Infantry) It is useful once you finally upgrade them to Mech Infantry [Or if you get a Warlord with movement]

12. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

Ahh cool. Good to have that cleared up. Now that I remember it, the Impi does get Mobility AND +1 movement point so yeah. I do wonder why they don't just give the Impi the same bonus the Keshiks have instead of giving them Mobility.

I will also say that there is a situation whereby the Impi will only move one: If you move it across a river and onto a forested hill, it will only move one. I do wonder if the Keshiks are the same here. I have never encoutered the Keshiks NOT moving at least two though.

13. romelus

romelus NUCULAR!

he's a bad boy. 3 games and he was the 1st to attack me in 2 of them. in the latest game he rushed my capitol with a single combat 3 warrior, and killed my only defending warrior even though i had 20% cultural defense :eek: i had to reload that game

he falls behind in tech around feudalism and never catches up. but a good hitman if you can vassalize him

14. Zebra 9

Zebra 9 Emperor

It is some sort of license thingy that prevents Firaxis from letting you have more than 18, but there is a SDK fix that Dale made it is right here [WARLORDS-SDK] 32 Civs in-game.

15. The Navy Seal

The Navy Seal Emperor

[QUOTE+gdgrimm]The Impi upgraded to Pikeman, but kept it's mobility Promotion. That would seem to indicate that building lots of them early (even if you don't really feel you need them), could lead to a fast moving Grenadier or Infantry Army later in the game.[/QUOTE] Great idea I should try that With the Impi and other units.

16. parachute4u

parachute4u Warlord

Just finished a game with Shaka as my neighbor yesterday. It was a terrible game. I founded 3 cities, then I got attacked by barbarians so I had to build a horde of archers and chariots to survive (2 barb cities next to me). Then I got attacked by Genghis (east) and Brennus (north). After I survived their attack, I got attacked by Bismarck (I did not even know where his capital was at that time!) After I repelled Bismarck's attack, Napoleon (who was on another continent(!) wanted to fight with me.

When I had seen Genghis starting east of me, I knew, that Genghis had to die. Brennus had crappy land, so he had to attack someone. I did not understand Bismarck's aggression, cause he was quite a distance away from and I was absolutely puzzled, what I had done to annoy Napoleon.

Shaka south of me remained calm all the time it took to defend and expand against the Celts, Mongols and Germans. I had sent some missionaries earlier to make sure he likes me. But I knew all the time, that he WILL attack me at some point. Surprisingly he remained calm until he had ARTILLERY. Genghis, Brennus and Bismarck were defeated at this time. But Napoleon kept declaring on me, so I loaded my best troops into 3 transports and sent them towards france. My troops were in the middle of nowhere, when two turns (after they had gone to sea), a friendly Shaka told me, that "soon his numerous minions will destroy me" :D

He did quite some damage, cause I did not have any troops to counterattack his pillaging cav and artillery. But he only razed one of my cities and lost 3 of his own, when finally my city raider, anti-cav, pinch, etc elite troops were back.

We were on good terms at the time he declared on me. I had exchanged techs with him, I had given him techs, when he asked for them, I had cancelled treaties, when he asked for it, I had not adopted free religion, until he declared war on me, and I had traded and gifted resources to him.... But --- he is Shaka, what did you expect?? :D

17. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

What year did they attack? Have you got the save? When did people start building archers? ackkk

Just imagine the barbarians with chariots. That would provide a few headaches for a few players. Obviously not for Shaka.

18. The Navy Seal

The Navy Seal Emperor

You don't want to imagine the barbarians with chariots. I tried it, and it was crazy. They had chariots when everyone only had warriors (Because barbarians don't need resources)

19. Zebra 9

Zebra 9 Emperor

I never trust anyone even if they have 10 for me. The reson he declared war on you was probobly because napoleon had a ton of money or a tech that Shaka wanted.

The lesson that you learned in that game is that you should check the foriegn advisor before war, & check this.
    1. Does the person that you are attacking have a potentaly valuable tech that he could use to get an ally.
    2. Is someone friendly towards them.

20. The Navy Seal

The Navy Seal Emperor

It probably was. That's what they do to me all the time.