the palace (civII throneroom)

novastar

Chieftain
Dear civvers

I'm playing the Chinese on a standard map (Regent), have lots of wonders, have about 5 unhappy people with luxuries rate set to 0%. Earlier in the game, with luxury at 30% I hade WLTPDays for many many turns all over my empire...

My palace however still looks like it has been built by Neaderthals. I think 'my people' have only given me a new addition to my palace just twice during the whole game!
It's 1370 AD now.

What triggers the new additions to your palace?

I wish I knew. Generally, I do judge my effectiveness as a ruler a little bit on how often my people add to my palace. I do seem to get gifts often, though occasionally, I will play through an entire game with only one or two, even if I actually was doing well. I seem to get them in these situations:

1. I refuse to be threatened and a civ declares war.
2. I convince another civ to enter a military alliance against an enemy.
2. A cities cultural border expands.
3. About 5 cities reach 1000 culture points.
4. A city goes into WLTK day.
5. My civ enters a golden age.

I am sure there are others, and I do not always have my palace improved in these circumstances.

May sound silly but i can almost swear i've seen the majority of my palace additions occur when a city falls into disorder or when one flips. Maybe they're trying to tell me to do better. :)

When I played for a chieftain, I got to improve my palace every 10 turns. But now, as a monarch, achieving even better results, my palace still looks like Stonehenge. What's wrong with my people???

i didn'T have any problem almost building up my palace at monarch.

Most of the time i get palace improvement when i get out of war (peace treaty) since i forget to lower back my luxury. And almost every town go in WLTKD.

Also when a lot of cities get theire culture improved in the same turn ....

I've found these problems with my rock (I won't call it a palace until I add to it in some way). It was actually a bug because my people wanted to expand the palace, but the message didn't pop up until really late. When that happened, I could pretty much add all four storeys to it at once (as well as add a nice doorway, gardens, etc.)

If I was impatient with a rock being the nerve centre of my massive empire during the medieval period, I'd just hit F9 and make my well-deserved additions.

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but that is the observations I made.

Originally posted by eyrei
I wish I knew. Generally, I do judge my effectiveness as a ruler a little bit on how often my people add to my palace. I do seem to get gifts often, though occasionally, I will play through an entire game with only one or two, even if I actually was doing well. I seem to get them in these situations:

1. I refuse to be threatened and a civ declares war.
2. I convince another civ to enter a military alliance against an enemy.
2. A cities cultural border expands.
3. About 5 cities reach 1000 culture points.
4. A city goes into WLTK day.
5. My civ enters a golden age.

I am sure there are others, and I do not always have my palace improved in these circumstances.

I might be able to add to this list...

1. Changing governments to a more liberal government (eg. Despotism to Republic, Monarchy to Democracy, etc.). I've found that once I've established my new republic in ancient times, I am allowed to expand my palace.
2. When the civ enters a new age (ie. Ancient-Medieval, Medieval-Industrial, Industrial-Modern)

Though it hasn't always been prone to happen that way, in most cases when I play, it does happen.

This is something I've always wanted to discuss on the forum. My previous game produced a fantastic palace which I'm sure I used well, living in luxury with my harem and personal masseurs etc..., but the current game has exactly the same settings as the last. and I'm doing as well as I was in the last game, but my palace is still the same pile of rubble it started out as and the year is 1550!!
Do my people hate me? I am currently at war aswell and I'm still getting the 'We Love the Emperor' messages even though I'm a Democracy and they should all be tired of the war by now. Is this because I am doing well in the war?

Somebody please explain as even though I've taken into account all the considerations listed previously I still have a pile of rocks for a palace and my citizens seem to have forgotten about the standard of living I am accustomed to.......peasants......

I am not sure if the palace improvement chance occurs when ending a war. I have conquered more than 3/4 of a map and have mu luxuries at 10%, but still have to live in a cave that undeservedly uses the name "palace"

I read somewhere that the messages warning about palace additions sometimes are disabled for no apparent reason. It is considered a bug. When there are no messages about the palace additions, try to check your palace (F9), and you probably will notice that you can build it up. Apparently, this bug disappears if you quit and load a saved game. I'm not 100% sure about this, though.

Did it ever occur to any one that neanderthol palaces are created by neanderthol players........ get used to it or improve your game play:lol:

Originally posted by SS_StuGIIIG
Did it ever occur to any one that neanderthol palaces are created by neanderthol players........ get used to it or improve your game play:lol:

Maybe you should learn to spell Neanderthal before you try to be witty with it.

Top Bottom