The paper says - clever kids listen to metal!

OK go listen to a song called "Dear Mama" by 2Pac and come back and tell me if it is music. If your still not convinced, listen to "Changes". And also while your at it, why ISN'T rap music.

Its music but it has crappy, meaningless, lyrics that mostly all fit a similar theme, and it is just annoying to listen too. :p

Xanikk999, did you listen to the songs? If you don't want to, at least look up the lyrics for those songs. Are those lyrics meaningless? And aren't many metal, pop, and rock songs meaningless too and fit a similar theme? I guess those genre's suck too.

OK go listen to a song called "Dear Mama" by 2Pac and come back and tell me if it is music. If your still not convinced, listen to "Changes". And also while your at it, why ISN'T rap music.
Don't even THINK of puting that cheap ripp-off as a flagproduct of rap music.
If you do so, you would only make us believe rap is a genre who ripps off songs, and i know one genre who does that.
Bruce Hornsby & the Range's orginal song "The Way it is" is infinitley superior to 2Pac's.

Xanikk999, did you listen to the songs? If you don't want to, at least look up the lyrics for those songs. Are those lyrics meaningless? And aren't many metal, pop, and rock songs meaningless too and fit a similar theme? I guess those genre's suck too.

TBH those genres suck to me also. But hey, im really picky. :p

Just because he took that line doesn't mean he didn't make up the lyrics. And remember there is a possibility 2Pac didn't even mean to have that line their. He died before the song was finished.

Its music but it has crappy, meaningless, lyrics that mostly all fit a similar theme, and it is just annoying to listen too. :p

It hink this is something akin to saying that current rock music can be summed up by listening to Nickelback!

The sad fact is there is a lot of crappy hip-hop being made today that doesn't put much creativity into its lyrics or music, but I don't think this is exclusive to that genre. Look at the <poop> that comes out of the rock/pop world now. If I have to hear another <poopy> fall-out boy song about some girl they have a crush on or some other <poop> like that, I think I'll scream. But I know that there are good rock and pop bands out there that make the genre worthwhile. Just like there are hardworking hip-hop groups out there writing intelligent lyircs and making interesting music.

Che Guava i do agree with you there. Some artists *points at 50 Cent* are making a mockery of rap. But i believe if you take the time to listen to what rap was before it exploded in popularity, you will realize its better than you think.

Che Guava i do agree with you there. Some artists *points at 50 Cent* are making a mockery of rap. But i believe if you take the time to listen to what rap was before it exploded in popularity, you will realize its better than you think.

Precisely: the popularity of a genre is a sure way to decrease its quality. I pine for the rap of the early 90's...I just bought a couple of old pharcyde albums to remind me how good hiphop can be...!

Just because he took that line doesn't mean he didn't make up the lyrics. And remember there is a possibility 2Pac didn't even mean to have that line their. He died before the song was finished.
Maybe, maybe not ...
It happens in other genres. All Dream Theater is just a rip off of Metallica. Any band that plays with an orchestra is a rip off of Metallica.
It probably happens in all genres. Sometimes it's even a good thing. I love HIM's version of "Don't Fear the Reaper", Apocalyptica's and KWGA's versions of "Fade to Black", trance remixes of classical songs etc.
But i'll never put those as representatives of their genres tho.

It probably happens in all genres. Sometimes it's even a good thing. I love HIM's version of "Don't Fear the Reaper", Apocalyptica's and KWGA's versions of "Fade to Black", trance remixes of classical songs etc.
But i'll never put those as representatives of their genres tho.

Anyone who doesn't belive that 99% of popular music today isn't just rehashed lyrics, melodies and chord structures of previously written songs isn't listening hard enough.

THe only difference with hip-hop and other genres that use sampling is that they're honest about it.

Anyone who doesn't belive that 99% of popular music today isn't just rehashed lyrics, melodies and chord structures of previously written songs isn't listening hard enough.

THe only difference with hip-hop and other genres that use sampling is that they're honest about it.
Touche
I wonder why so many songs nowadays are ripoffs ? Lack of creativity ? I don't think so ... it's just easier to copy.
It's just that some genres (manele) copy EVERYTHING and deny it. With rap it nears the everything part.

It happens in other genres. All Dream Theater is just a rip off of Metallica. Any band that plays with an orchestra is a rip off of Metallica.

Rotfl. That WAS sarcasm, wasn't it? It gave me such a good laugh.

And btw, while I mostly hate rap music <and yes, I'd been told to listened to the same songs 2pac mentioned, I did, I never want to listen to them again>, I've managed to find some decent music within the genre. In particular I can recommend The Last Poets' eponymous album.

Very true.

Dream Theater is representative of their genre.
Which subgenre is that ? I'm not good at identifying sub-genres.
I was reffering to big ones like Rock, Pop, Dance, Rap, Classical ...

Rap isnt music goddammit, an illiterate person could rap, perhaps even better so then literate folks.

I don't know. What's sarcasm?

So you do believe that any band that plays with an orchestra is a rip off of Metallica? :lol:

Rap isnt music goddammit, an illiterate person could rap, perhaps even better so then literate folks.

An illiterate person could very well play guitar as well. While I don't like rap, that's no argument no to call it music.

Top Bottom