1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The paper says - clever kids listen to metal!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ComradeDavo, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

That's what I been told. I never listened to Metallica.

2. Till

Till Adventurer

If there's any album where Dream Theater sound like Metallica (Example; just ignore the video) please tell me, because i think i'd like to buy that album! :D

3. HypnosTene

HypnosTene Warlord

O..K... Peace, friend.

Actually, there's always 'Master of Puppets' released in the Official Bootleg series - it's basically DT playing the entire Master of Puppets album live ; )

4. mdwh

mdwh Deity

I think DT's later material is certainly metal, but their earlier stuff less so.

Opeth would be a good example of progressive metal.

Either way, it's nice that there's now more to prog rock than 70s music :)

5. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

That was taken out of context and you know it. I clearly meant modern pop. If I had meant band like the Beatles (which were innovative and original rather than sellouts) I would have said early rock...or the Monkees ;)

Rap=poetry set to a beat. The beat may be music to an extent, but the rap itself (the "poetry") is definately not music

If Robert Frost read his poems out loud with a marching drum playing behind him, would he be a musician? No

Admittedly yes, there are other aspects that can go into a "rap" song that are musical, but the rapping itself, the spoken (or barked) lyric rather than sung is most definately not music.

The only musicians are the guys who don't get any attention and just record the background noise for the record

6. HypnosTene

HypnosTene Warlord

True. I actually enjoy some of the newer prog stuff too (like Tool, some Porcupine Tree, Dredg, Spock's Beard, or Beardfish. I really recommend Beardfish, I think their entire album is available for download on their official page. Their music is similar in some aspects to Zappa :D and you can't go wrong with Zappa). Still, In the end I find myself coming back to my King Cromson, Gentle Giant and other fine 70s bands.

7. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

Is this another one of those "people who eat cheese are more likely to win the lottery" studies that fail to demonstrate any kind of causality?

8. Harbringer

Harbringer Your A One Flower Garden

Are you guys kidding me?When rap was what it should be, back in the day, it was great. It was never my favorite form of music, but it was still awesome you know, I remember being like, hey, finally a new genre that I may not listen regularly, but I can still enjoy. And then all this gangster crap came out, at least in the mid 90s it was somewhat coherent, but I didn't like the lyrics and stuff. It all became about getting ***** and cappin homies, I hated that. Now its just driveled off into shoot this, tap that and the cops suck. Rap is absolutely horrible, I cant wait until this genres popularity passes, hopefully the next "thing" in music wont be so ******.

9. bd41094

bd41094 Prince

:rockon: Go Smart People:rockon:

10. bd41094

bd41094 Prince

Seriously, if your just going to be like that why post? I hate rap too but what does rap have anything to do with metal and smart people.

Oh hey mods, you might want to pay special attention to that last word.

11. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

seriously, if you want to post like that...

read the previous convo that is part of the discussion on music, what is and what isn't

:p

12. MjM

MjM Deity

Doesn't surprise me, it is alot like classical musical, very fast, and complex. If the thing about fast and complex music promoting brain activity is true, this isn't surprising.

13. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

Could anyone bring some demonstrable evidence that metal music causes intelligence? Otherwise, this study is useless and a waste of money. No one should need to be told that listeners of a certain kind of music are always stupid, so dispelling a stereotype is completely needless.

14. nihilistic

nihilistic Intergalatic Delivery Boy

That's bull. They made a poor case of correlation and zero case of causation.

Besides, I don't know all that many people that listens to metal music.

15. MjM

MjM Deity

You're not too great at knowing if things are useless or not, you have a nasty habit of showing your thoughts on that down other people's throat, and what is needless to someone who only needs some asian hookers for fun, may not be needless to someone else.
    Moderator Action: Trolling - warned.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

16. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

Was that comment directed at me?

17. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

Have you yet recovered from the bounty of points you were handed the last time you harassed me?
    Moderator Action: This comment is unneccessary, and considered trolling - Ignore it, and just report the posts.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

18. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

:confused:

19. nihilistic

nihilistic Intergalatic Delivery Boy

No. It was addressed at the starter of this thread.

Anyway, I do know that heavy metal music definitely has a much higher correlation with hearing loss.

20. Left

Left Real Game Out Here

An illiterate person could also sing. I have no idea what kind of point you're trying to make here.