1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The paper says - clever kids listen to metal!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ComradeDavo, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Indeed. The insistence that the music has to be particularily fast, for starters. We can find plenty of counterexamples without looking very far into obscure subgenres or recent offshoots -- hell, look no further than Black Sabbath's first few albums.

2. Azash

Azash La Sombra

3. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Note that making fun of Dimmu lyrics is about as difficult (and sporting) as beating up Stephen Hawking.

Nevertheless it's a fine traditional pastime among Norwegian metalheads.

4. CCA

CCA Emperor

I hope soccer mums don't read this article and think that listening to metal makes children smart and force their young uns to listen!

5. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

As an aside, I was amused and puzzled by an earlier poster's apparent belief that he would be able to control what his future children would listen to.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

since no one has mentioned that I have notice. Let me offer a theory.

Of course heavy metal doesn't cause intelligence. That is just silly.

I think some smart people gravitate towards heavy metal because they are social misfits. There, I said it. I'm one of them in fact. They are isolated from society, and suffer depression as a result. So they gravitate towards "darker" music. It has nothing to do with complexity.

I'm willing to bet that smart people with less "issues" listen primarily to classical, jaz, or perhaps popular music. Those with issues listen to metal.

Yes I am making the analagy that only people with issues listen to metal. I stand by that. I'm not saying the issues are serious, they could perhaps be minor. Most people do not enjoy the dark themes, and negativity. Some music is even too negative, even for me. Although it depends on my mood. When I'm depressed, sometimes I'll put on Marilyn Manson- Antichrist superstar. I love that album. Most of his work is crap, but he did have one good album. Call it a fluke. But usually, those type of lyrics are too depressing for me.

But I do like the darker themes. I remember the first time I heard Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath. Slow, dark, and heavy. I loved it. But when I was a kid, I pretty much listened to normal music. Cyndi Lauper and Madonna (okay that's not that normal, but you get my point). Only when I became more socially isolated did I listen to the darker stuff.

my 2 cents worth.

7. Ultima Dragoon

Ultima Dragoon FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

Just because someone listens to a certain type of music doesn't mean they're misfits.

That's like saying since all women can fall pregnant, ALL women will fall pregnant.

Also, I'm listening to Dragonforce right now. :mischief:

8. mdwh

mdwh Deity

You obviously haven't listened to enough metal. There're plenty with changes in dynamics, as well as those with meter changes - in particular, check out progressive metal bands such as Dream Theater and Opeth.

9. mdwh

mdwh Deity

Sounds perfect for an industrial band...

10. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

It's an outlet. When you feel that way and go to a metal concert I can asure you that afterwards you'll be rid of a lot of anger and negativity.

(I don't mean the doomy kind of metal there, but the fast paced 'angry' metal. Concerts like Pantera (RIP), Kreator or DRI to name a few examples always left me quite tired and extremely satisfied afterwards. Better get rid of it shouting your head of or banging your head of or trashpitting then to crop it up I say :)

About the singing. The vocals have to match the music. So of course it won't be pristine vocalists but rather raw grunts and shouting. Because it fits. I can live without the "I love you, I will always be true, if you leave me I'll be blue" lyrics that seem to be more acceptable tyvm :)

11. Ciceronian

Ciceronian Latin Scholar

What I mainly take issue with in the article is the fact that it tries to make a connection between being intelligent and suffering from mood swings and depression caused by academic pressure. Shouldn't the opposite really be the case? Don't under-achievers have far more to worry about when it comes to doing well in exams or getting into a good university? In actual fact, it's more a question of personal disposition. In my class, there was a guy who was quite the metalhead and managed to fail the class twice, and was frequently depressed because of school. On the other hand, another girl in my class (also a metalhead) got into Cambridge as well, yet she was always getting extremely anxious about work; I remember that when she was 17 she cried after a test which made up about 2% of her maths grade and she ended up passing anyway.

None of that for me: I always had good grades in school, and when I mucked up a test, it was nothing to get too upset about. I was generally happy with life and was rarely depressed. And of course I am a huge fan of Classical (more precisely Renaissance and Baroque) music, and listen to hardly anything else.

(Am listening to some Haendel just now btw.)

12. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

hey that's me... :)
    and here the similarities end, I'd much rather listen to a good Maiden song or some Priest :rockon:

13. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

if an illiterate person can make sense of that gg.

14. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

This is getting to be a bit of a digression, but anyway:

Studies indicate that, in the general case, incompetents and underachievers show a strong tendency to overrate their own competence and achievements, while conversely those who are competent and achieve well show a tendency (albeit a weaker one) to underrate themselves.

A simple first-order explanation for the self-overrating effect is that, for any given field (academic or otherwise), the skillset and the knowledge you need in order to evaluate your performance (or anyone's performance) is pretty much the same as that which is needed to perform well. So if you lack the skills, and lack the self-insight needed to realize this, you may easily think you're doing pretty well when by any objective measure you're doing crap.

Another contributing cause (which also goes some way toward explaining anxiety and self-underrating in those who are doing well) might be that performing something well is strongly correlated with preparing for it (studying and so forth), which again is strongly correlated with worrying about the future. So if you're disposed toward being carefree and letting tomorrow take care of itself, you're less likely to become a swot than if you're disposed toward worrying, all else being equal.

Yet another factor can be that, for those who are used to performing well in school, that ability becomes a defining characteristic of their own sense of self, and hence any disruption (however minor) might be seen as a threat. While someone who's used to scraping by and underachieving presumably has other sources of emotional support, as it were.

15. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

The whole point of the article is that there is a sterotype that Metalheads are stupid, and that it needs to be dispelled.

16. punkbass2000

punkbass2000 Des An artiste

I can do that singing saw dealy!

17. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

No one with a brain stem needs a stereotype dispelled. This study is useless and a waste of money.

18. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

The beginning bit sounded like Dream Theater.

19. punkbass2000

punkbass2000 Des An artiste

Looks like a stereotype...

20. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander