The People vs Steven Donziger

Berzerker

Deity

By people I mean Chevron... Lawyer sued them for dumping toxins on the lands of Ecuadorean Indians and won a $9.5b judgement which apparently has not been paid yet, so Chevron went after the lawyer with the help of a NY judge. Donziger has been under house arrest over 600 days for refusing to turn over his laptop and client information.

How do we get out of this vicious cycle of devouring resources like there's no tomorrow and killing ourselves with poison?

The link comes and goes, youtube has been wonky of late

Lock up law breakers and stop allowing corporate shields from protecting them from terrible decisions and actions. CEOs etc. should not be able to hide behind their companies. Forced personal responsibility and liability can change behavior.

That would punish shareholders which is the exact rationalization which is used now. In reality you would be punishing minor shareholders who have been forced into the equities markets to fund their retirements.

The shareholders with stakes large enough to influence votes also need to have their sakes divested. They hand pick the board of directors who will in turn handpick the CEO and they shouldn't be able to hide, either.

This case is absolutely sickening and the silence from both political parties and mainstream media is deafening.

That would punish shareholders which is the exact rationalization which is used now. In reality you would be punishing minor shareholders who have been forced into the equities markets to fund their retirements.

The shareholders with stakes large enough to influence votes also need to have their sakes divested. They hand pick the board of directors who will in turn handpick the CEO and they shouldn't be able to hide, either.

This case is absolutely sickening and the silence from both political parties and mainstream media is deafening.
So what? Shareholders should be at risk for bad companies with worse leaders. Buy Chevron or Exxon stock at your peril. Index funds will mitigate one's risk. You don't change corporate decision making by letting decision makers off the hook for bad decisions. Jail time and big financial penalties are pretty good disincentives for bad behavior by rich men in powerful positions.

By people I mean Chevron... Lawyer sued them for dumping toxins on the lands of Ecuadorean Indians and won a $9.5b judgement which apparently has not been paid yet, so Chevron went after the lawyer with the help of a NY judge. Donziger has been under house arrest over 600 days for refusing to turn over his laptop and client information.

How do we get out of this vicious cycle of devouring resources like there's no tomorrow and killing ourselves with poison?

The link comes and goes, youtube has been wonky of late

The irony of a guy who votes for the Libertarian Party complaining about this

You tell me libertarian. Why is it that corporations/capitalists don't respect property rights when they don't have to?

I dont think libertarians wrote corporations into the law, just property rights. The property rights of these Indians was violated.

Lock up law breakers and stop allowing corporate shields from protecting them from terrible decisions and actions. CEOs etc. should not be able to hide behind their companies. Forced personal responsibility and liability can change behavior.

What they did could be called murder, manslaughter at the very least. Maybe the solution is to treat corporate brass like actual criminals. If I dumped toxins all over your land and your family got cancer I'd call that a jailable offense. If my punishment was a fine I could pass off onto the consumer I'd escape justice.

The irony of a guy who votes for the Libertarian Party complaining about this

The Ecuadorean Indians have property rights that were violated by Chevron

Oh, they're not silent... They're attacking libertarians.

Top Bottom