• Okay

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • A Bad Thing

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • A Very Bad Thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Am Totally Indifferent

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (I Would Prefer A Giant Radioactive Monkey Question Time)

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrPresident

Anglo-Saxon Liberal
At yesterday's Prime Minister's Question Time the opposition leader, Michael Howard, asked all six of his questions about a government radio advert that breached the government's own guidelines. However everytime Tony Blair refused to answer the question and went off on attacks about Conservative policy. This leds me to ask the question, Are PMQs a waste of time? Blair rarely answers any question of substance. It seems to me as if the whole thing is just some sort of pantomine designed for the media to get a story. What do you think? If you do not live in Britain do you think it would be a good idea for your Prime Minister or President to be questioned every week by your legislative body? Do you think it would accomplish anything of substance? Or would it simply because another means to shout out slogans and soundbites? What do you think?

BBC Explanation of PMQs

On the whole, it is a good thing. I believe that politicians should be spending more time explaining their policies to voters and debating them in public.
Of course, it can always end up in a farce like apparently it did yesterday ;)
Still worth a try IMHO.

I think they are very good when you have leaders that answer the questions but if they are like Tony Blair i think the speaker of the House should interveen to make sure he answers the Question.

I think they're a good idea and wish we had a similar forum in the US. Even if he wiggles around and avoids a real answer, I think making the chief executive sweat a little to defend his decisions is a good thing.

I think PMQs are effective however, often the PM doesn't answer the question, merely dodging it. It is also an opportunity for cheap political point scoring and exchanging jibes at each other. Often real issues aren't discussed in much depth and they concentrate on the past not the future. I like seing the PM on Newsnight and would like to see a televised debate between the PM and leader of the opposition like they have in America (though i don't know if it is effective?). Jeremy Paxman really attacks politicians with his questions and doesn't allow a politician to get away with 'half truths'. Who can forget his interview with Michael Howard, "did you threaten to overrule him?". "No i did not overrule him". "Did you threaten to overrule him?" "No i did not overrule him no!" Paxman asked the question about 11 (?) times, this is what we need, or the PM being forced to appear 'question time' hosted by Jonathon Dimbleby, here the PM wouldn't be able to brush off a question and would enable the public to put questions to him and opposition party leaders.

Overall it is better having PMQ’s than not, but as mentioned above, the PM should be forced to answer the question by the speaker more often. (Not much chance of that at the moment as he is a Labour stooge.)

It is often quite entertaining and is better now that Howard in leader of the opposition instead of Duncan Smith. Hague however was the funniest.

It is one if those things that ensures we do not end up with a PM who is a bit slow and thick (I couldn’t imagine Bush going through this). You have to be quite talented either to ask the questions or answer them well.

Originally posted by Mega Tsunami
the PM should be forced to answer the question by the speaker more often. (Not much chance of that at the moment as he is a Labour stooge.)

i thought the speaker was a consertive MP

Originally posted by Suppersalmon
I think they are very good when you have leaders that answer the questions but if they are like Tony Blair i think the speaker of the House should interveen to make sure he answers the Question.

we have parliament question time which is good enough.

Originally posted by Suppersalmon
i thought the speaker was a consertive MP
The current speaker is "Rt Hon" Michael Martin, MP for Glasgow. Increasingly when seeking re-election at a general election, the Speaker remains aloof from party issues and stands as 'the Speaker seeking re-election'. Mr Martin broke convention by being the first time Labour retained the post of speaker (Betty Boothroyd was also a former Labour MP) and is the first Catholic to hold the office since the Reformation.

I definately want something along those lines over here! You see, our president is dumb as a mule, and it would be fun to see him beign humiliated!

Top Bottom