The Polynesian Hail Mary: Creating a Supercontinent on Terra

Omega124

Challenging Fate
(Note: This only works if you bought Polynesia and on Terra, obviously)

PHMCASCOT is a unconventional strategy in order to create a strong civilization unhampered by enemy civilizations and their clumsy warfare. However, to do this, you are sacrificing what could be multiple turns in which you could be using for research and production. Thus, the Hail Mary. If it works, you'll be miles ahead. But if it doesn't, you'll be behind. Suggested options is no barbs, and keeping start bias is mandatory, but the rest are up to you

Starting out:

The first thing you should do is embark your starting settler onto the coastline, and start sailing. Do not turn unless you must, and keep the eye on the prize: the new world. Your starting Maori should accompany you. When you see the coastline, make sure its the New World. Use your Maori for scouting, then settle if safe.

Once you settle, scout ahead with your Maori. If no barbs is on, that should literally be the only unit you train. If barbs are not on, then build only a skeleton force; you won't need a huge army for quite a while.

Mid Game:

Once Honolulu has been established as a city, you should focus on expansion. Polynesia is one of the few civs that can be large and produce reasonable culture, so do so! Even if you aim for another victory, SPs may help you for whatever victory you're aiming for.

Don't be hasty when building cities, though. Besides barbs, there is no competition, so planning city locations is possible. However, with the scientific disadvantage you put on yourself, you should build cities regularly for the extra beakers. Do not waste money on an army for now. You will not need it.

First Contact:

Never try to make first contact yourself. Trust me, isolation is good in Civ 5. Let the AI come to you. Squeeze the few turns before the world goes to hell. Once the first civ comes, start building that army I told you to put off. Not doing so will result in your cities being attacked. You should also build a token ship, and sail back to the Old World. See the political position, look who has it and who doesn't. Don't just sign agreements to the first person who comes, for the rest of the world may just hate him or her.

If you want to go to domination and are behind or science, sign those RAs.
You'll need every beaker you can get

Late Game:

Treat the game now like a regular game of Civ, really.

First contacts are necessary for luxury resources trading and research agreements, which can boost you significantly.

Also, "the new world" continent will not be colonized well into turns 150+ by other than you, so you will get virgin continent for yourself if you choose to do so later.

If you have barbs off, you could leave your moari on the initial continent to establish trading contacts.

With barbs on though it would be a massive risk to your settler in the new world. Of course it isn't that hard to send a scout back.

I'm going to try this in my current game, I'll report back with notes

EDIT: Couple things I've seen right off the bat:

- Although it will take you around 30 turns (I was playing on large, travel time may vary), it's not that hard to catch up.
- If you're playing with Ancient Ruins, these can push you back in the game, as there are a phenomonal ammount in the new world. I got 3 or 4 techs from ruins alone, as well as Population and several hundred gold.
- Make sure you're certain where you've landed is the new world - my first game I ended up just across a large harbor from my original start point

Man, I tried this strategy and it totally sucked!:thumbsdown: I think I gave it about 145 turns and then abandoned the game (standard Terra map, standard time, Emperor level). It took me "only" 17 turns to find the New World, & a few more turns to decide where to build Honolulu. But there were very few luxury resources in my New World -- 2 or 3 elephants is all, pretty widely separated. I managed to build Samoa near one of them, and then quickly researched construction so I could build coloseums & circuses to keep the folks a little happy. I did find lots of goody huts and hit a couple for culture & a couple for population. Even so, by the time I abandoned the game I was totally last in tech, population, GNP, you name it; couldn't even afford to ally with the adjacent friendly maritime CS with pearls.:sad: Managed to build The Pyramids, but was beat out on the Hanging Gardens (which is usually a make/break Wonder for me), Stonehenge, & The Oracle. I think I could have managed to get Notre Dame (another of my make/break Wonders) because I was only a few turns away from completing the education tech & Honolulu had good production by now.

So, should I try it again with a different & better New World, or have I had enough?:crazyeye::crazyeye::confused:

I think, the very important setting is marathon game pace - 30 turns on marathon are only 2% of game - on quick this is 12%.

About contact with others - I think it is better to do so (knowing who is who, RA, selling OB, LUX trade and most important - strat trade (you don't need an army -> you don't need your iron/horses)).

there are a lot of benefits to early contact and no real negatives.

personally i'd just found honolulu, take liberty -> settler and send that settler across the seas. AI aggressiveness is based on closeness, they will eventually found near honolulu and start to hate you, but you should still have a lot of turns of peace / trading partners.

The chess player in me says that you're giving away too many tempos for the strategy to be worthwhile. There's no reason to rush off to the New World. Once you run out of elbow room on the mainland, you can spam another wave of Settlers and send them off to plunk down across the ocean. You'll still end up with plenty of time to carpet the Americas with cities before the AIs show up.

This sounds like a very dull game. No barbs + settling all by yourself= no conflict at all.

Settling right where you start and then sending your 2nd or 3rd settler over would make more sense. IMO.

I too have found the 'new world' of terra wanting as far as luxuries or "lush, fertile land... i think we can make a home here" in the few times I've run it. Even with legendary start, the new continent was okay for resources, but I saw one lux that could be inside a coastal cities border on the entire perimeter of the continent... the rest all belonged to the CS's.

Sounds like the OP's term of "Hail Mary" is bang on. In most cases the strategy will likely fail, but on occasion it will be a home run (e.g. coastal city on a river surrounded by luxury and fertility).

To me it sounds like an over-leveraging of the Polynesian UA. As mentioned earlier by others, setting up a solid home base first, then leveraging the UA (with a small barb-fighting contingent) to win over the new world would seem to be a better use of the UA.

However, I'll have to try the OP's strategy just for giggles sake :)

Haha I beat you to it, but a quick search shows that someone posted something like this even way before I did.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426775

You definitely need to settle your first city on the old world before moving out, just build it tall as hell, fortify it, and build a ton of soldiers. Since you wont' get the diplo hit for expanding early on (usually about 20 turns to hit the new world after you build your first settler), you don't really have to worry about getting attacked. But then again, I did benefit from an awesome start, check the save I attached to see. A single choke point tile on a narrow stretch of hills, plus my archers could still hit them firing over ocean ;) Nearest neighbor was Babylon, keep trying to invade but was too weak, Arabia was stronger but had to go through Babylon to get to me.

When you do get to the new world, you have a ton of barbs to deal with, but you should have swordsmen to warriors, so no big deal. Goody huts aren't as useful by the time you get there. The real benefit of this strategy is exclusive access to the City States on the new world, that's extremely beneficial with Patronage for a diplo win.

Sadly, I never got the finish the game, and post patch, impossible to pick it up again, but I might try a new game

Just goes to show, when you think you've come up with an awesome strategy, someone always beats you to it.

EDIT: For the record, I played on Standard everything, I believe Immortal, because Babylon was instantly hostile and Arabia kept trying to invade.

Also, I never play on Marathon, but this strategy could dominate, all you need to do is REX like crazy.

I've spent the past few days trying this strategy out. I probably shouldn't play this on Diety / Standard, as I'm just falling way behind (even if I build my capital in the starting location) while trying to spam cities in the new world.

I haven't played Terra prior this, but the locations on the new world seem quite inferior to the old world as mentioned in prior posts. There were plenty of places I'd want to carve out in the old world near my starting location, but the quality of resource tiles in the new world were few and far apart. I probably give up mostly because I have little desire to colonize the new world after I explore everything.

But nonetheless, it's a fun idea to play with.

cool idea, i just did something similar except i kept my home city as a soldier manufacturing entry, and that was prob a good idea. couple notes.

harbors only work if the water is explored to the new city! i couldn't figure out why my harbors didn't work until i posted on the forums and after sending a caravel out around one tip of the new continent my trade routes popped.

anyway cool idea, but i'm not sure i would do the same game again. maybe continents and try to take both continents simultaneously?

I agree with most of the other arguments here against this strategy as an advantageous one. The favourable city spots in the New World were surprisingly few and far between compared to the ones in the Old World, although one gets quite a lot for free by claiming all the goody huts early on. Fun to try out though, and Polynesia definitely has a unique ability with their early maritime expansion potential. Now back to usual games :)

Top Bottom