1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Portuguese

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Keirador, Oct 18, 2004.

1. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

The Portuguese Carrack is one of the naval units that is not properly rated in the game. The Portuguese ships were typically quite large, larger than your average Galleon. I have modified them to be slower, movement of 3, but with a carrying capacity of 5, and an additional hit point to reflect their larger size.

2. aukrest

aukrest History Buff

edited...

3. Luziadus

Luziadus Chieftain

"...Portugal emerged as a nation independent of Spain in the 12th century AD" ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Wrong wrong wrong

It starts bad, because Portugal never was dependent of Spain, are you saying there was spain in 12th century?? oh my god, dont know what history you based on this.
    now I know why all the world thinks Portugal as being part of Spain which is WRONG...

Portugal borns in 1139 while spain in 1400 how can gain independence of spain? explain to the people here plz.

now about the carrack i still dont understand why the carrack CANT take settlers? doesnt make any sense.

4. Hasdrubal Barca

Hasdrubal Barca Chieftain

Portugal was the first nation in Iberia, and the Lusitan people was far independent from Rome than any other people in Iberia, the problem is economics Luziads, history is re-written by those who have money, and nowadays Spain as more and more influence than Portugal, thus every single game/movie/documentary is culturally "brainwashed" to reflect Spanish superiority.

I have even heard spanish students stating Viriato was a spanish leader and that Columbo´s was Spanish, in a class on a seminar i also heard that South America was discovered by Spain and Columbus.

England states it discovered Australia, and so on. When Lisbon was an metropolis of 2 million people and Coimbra had the first university in Europe, London was no more than a dirty small town.

The truth is that Portugal discovered almost the entire known world but it has lost all of it´s economic power and influence, plus it´s leaders of the past centuries seem to have more of an anglosaxon education than of a portuguese one, in primary school they read Shakespeare instead of Camões, so that´s where the problem lies.

5. Luziadus

Luziadus Chieftain

Portugal wasnt the first nation in iberia, before portugal Galiza and Leon were already a kingdoms, Portugal cames with the South Galiza.

Truth History and Educaton is more valuable than economy, there is no money that pays ur language or ur country history.

6. creamcheese

creamcheese Spreading since 1990

How did this turn into a rant about Portugal? Shouldn't we be discussing civ...? :mischief:

The Portuguese are really good on 362x262 maps with 31 opponents. since you have so many civs to find you can use seafaring and Expansionist to use both curraghs and scouts.

7. Luziadus

Luziadus Chieftain

completely wrong

8. RickFGS

RickFGS Chieftain

Yep, there was NO Spain when Portugal emerged, Portugal was the First country to emerge in the iberian peninsula after the defeat of the moors, in fact, Spain come only to be Spain many years later with the unification of Castilla, Aragon, Gallicia, Basque, Catalunha, Valencia and Andaluzia...

It is sad to see how the world thinks Portugal was part of Spain initially.

And you are wrong Luziadus, arrogance gives you no reason, Portugal WAS the first unified country in Iberia after the Moors, Galiza and Leon were divided kingdoms, indeed there is indeed no money that pays culture and education, i sugest you go get some and loose the atitude.

9. Luziadus

Luziadus Chieftain

if you can write english you can read english too so i wish you go back to my post and read that we were talking about NATIONS and not UNIFIED COUNTRIES.

I dont think im arrogant maybe thats the way people read my posts, but if you say so then it could be the result of dealing with the same wrong informations about the same country everywhere.

10. Richie0

Richie0 Chieftain

i have to say that the portuguese are pretty crap

fast boats for contacts and an (possible) early tech lead, but that's it

unless you get a great start (cattle/wheat), then you're really playing against it

personally i play portugal when i want to handicap myself for a challenge