1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

The POTUS decides to be a chicken, pulls out of Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by caketastydelish, Apr 17, 2021.

1. r16

r16 not deity

typical trickery . Giving temporary gain to hide permanent loss .

2. Sofista

Sofista Deity

Barefoot but not pregnant in the kitchen. It's a baby step.

3. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Ultimately, I doubt they'll be able to deliver on the promise that women won't be worse off. Wait, did they even promise that exactly?

Hard to dismiss the skepticism from liberals that the Taliban are going to make things better.

4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Interesting wrote up.

Ghani didn't pack his helicopter with $150 million. Didn't even get to leave with his passport.

Berzerker likes this.
  5. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

A local EE correspondent I'm following claims schools, including for girls, are open, except where all schools are closed due to cold.

6. E.man

E.man Warlord

He took a cycle to NZ. Unexpected.

7. Samson

Samson Deity

The beeb, very much not local, is claiming that it is really a problem:

8. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

9. Samson

Samson Deity

UN report on situation:

The United Nations says it has received “credible allegations” of extrajudicial killings of more than 100 former Afghan national security forces and others associated with Afghanistan’s former government since its fall three months ago, with most taking place at the hands of the ruling Taliban.

In a speech to the Human Rights Council on Tuesday, Nada Al-Nashif, the UN deputy high commissioner for human rights, said at least 72 of the more than 100 alleged killings were “attributed to the Taliban”.

In several cases, Al-Nashif added, “the bodies were publicly displayed. This has exacerbated fear among this sizeable category of the population.”

Moreover, Al-Nashif said at least 50 suspected members of a local affiliate of ISIL (ISIS) known as ISIS-Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K)- an ideological foe of the Taliban – died by hanging and beheading in Nangarhar province alone over the same period.

In her update, Al-Nashif said at least eight Afghan activists and two journalists have been killed since August, while the UN has also documented 59 unlawful detentions.

Families face “severe poverty and hunger” this winter amid reports of child labour, early marriages and “even the sale of children”, Al-Nashif said.

The UN says more than 23 million Afghans – more than half the population – will face an “acute” food shortage in the winter months, forcing millions to choose between migration and starvation.

The UN’s World Food Programme said on Tuesday that its latest surveys estimated that 98 percent of Afghans are not consuming enough food – up 17 percentage points since August.​

10. Jukebox The Ghoul

Jukebox The Ghoul Chieftain

Who knew the "return to tradition" people were absolutely immoral, not me (it was I, I knew.)
    Reminder that Nick Fuentes said he would like to mirror the situation for women in Taliban's Afghanistan. Apparently Saudi Arabia is too soft for him.

Utterly disgusting.

Drakle likes this.
  11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

100 extrajudicial killings in three months!

How does that rate compare with the civilian death rate from US airstrikes?

12. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

No comment in three days. I suppose that it is too difficult a statistical question.

My point is that those who argue that the UN/world/west etc. should forcibly intervene, or as the case
    may be keep intervening in countries, where human rights are being grossly violated need to make the
    case that the lives saved by such intervention will exceed the lives lost by such additional intervention.

This applies whether it is Afghanistan, Burma, Rwanda or Syria etc.

In this context I am thinking of proportionality as expounded in the text below:

https://www.catholiceducation.org/e...ions/the-church-s-just-war-theory-part-1.html

Sofista likes this.
  13. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

In Afghanistan it's irrelevant. Americans won't return outside of a large state sponsored terror attack.

14. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I think you might be interested in this.

EnglishEdward likes this.
  15. Samson

Samson Deity

At least 26 people have been killed and hundreds of houses damaged after a magnitude 5.3 quake jolted Badghis province.

Rescue workers are searching for survivors after an earthquake in a remote western region of Afghanistan killed at least 26 people and damaged hundreds of houses, officials said.

Monday’s magnitude 5.3 shallow quake jolted the province of Badghis and wrecked hundreds of homes, mostly in the rural Qadis district, which is not easily accessible by road.

“The earthquake caused massive damage to houses, about 700 to 1,000 have been damaged,” Badghis provincial spokesman Baz Mohammad Sarwary said in a video message.

“There is the possibility that the casualties could increase.”

Images circulating on social media showed residents, including children, searching through the rubble of collapsed homes for belongings and essential items.

16. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I am not sure that we can blame either Donald or Joe for that.

Perhaps we should have a separate thread for natural disasters.

17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I'm sure the CIA planned and executed the quake; the problem is that it was supposed to hit Moscow.

EnglishEdward likes this.
  18. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

No idea what it has to do with Afghanistan, but that looks awesome. Looks like the main section is 42km, with 580 meters of elevation gain one way, if the sources I'm finding are correct. Which puts the elevation change to be considerable. Twice the elevation gain of the most I did in one day this year, in Virginia, over about two-thirds of the distance, and with those views.

There appear to be some other good trails in New Zealand, too. Maybe I'll have to plan a trip there. Let's see, next winter it ought to be warm in New Zealand while it's cold here.

Maybe we should open a New Zealand bike trails thread. Or a general worldwide one if there aren't a large enough number of Kiwi bicyclists on the forums.

19. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

It was a screw up with link copy and paste.

Correct link is a few posts up.

20. Samson

Samson Deity

Taliban killed over 100 former Afghan officials: UN report

More than 100 former members of the Afghan government, its security forces and those who worked with international troops have been killed since the Taliban took over the country in August, according to a report by the United Nations.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in Sunday’s report addressed to the UN Security Councilthat “more than two-thirds” of the victims were allegedly killed extrajudicially by the Taliban or its affiliates.

“Despite announcements of general amnesties for former members of the Government, security forces and those who worked with international military forces, [the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan] UNAMA continued to receive credible allegations of killings, enforced disappearances, and other violations” against former government and coalition members, the report said.

It also received “credible allegations of extrajudicial killings of at least 50 individuals suspected of affiliation with ISIL-KP”, the ISIL affiliate operating in Afghanistan, according to the report.​