1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Poverty's Pub Guild

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: RPG' started by ice2k4, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Cyc appears at the door of the Poverty's Pub. "I'd like to buy 4 beers. One for each of you" speaking to Ice and Lord Civius. "One for me, and one for dutchfire next time he comes in. Just bill me when you know the cost." he said with a smile as he grabs a seat at the bar. "Congrats, Ice."

2. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Isn't Beer made from wheat :mischief:

I taking it that all food stuff is taken to be widespread as in real life, not in a few select regions. Maybe if you own a tile with wheat you could make an excellant quality of beer and sell it at a higher price?

3. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

What if there are no manufacturers of either of the products? I can not sell beer or wine then? (Why not just tax the income (not a government tax, but a tax to cover the cost of buying the necessary goods, if there are no manufacturers.)

(It will also take the manufacturers quite some time to pop up as no one has the kind of gold to start them right away.)

4. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

The great Povert's Pub has been serving beer to the Citizens of Arete for Millienia. Surely the King and I can can compromise for existing businesses. You have paid the construction and legal fees even though your building has been constructed for ages. The best I can do is refund the 500 Y of construction costs and your stockpiles from before the new system should last 2 turnchats. From then on it will take wheat manufactured for beer, wine manufactered for wine and rice manufactured for hard liquor.

5. Cyc

I picked the wrong week to start drinking, didn't I. :sad:

6. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

"Heres your beers gentlemen, enjoy."

-
    Ice is very grateful for the refund and will be sending an items list shortly.

7. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I revoke this statement.

Beer is not only grown from wheat but from one of over a dozen cereals, wheat being one of them. This prior statement stands:

8. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

Although I do realize you were doing me a favor, may I ask why you revoked the refund.

Also, how am I supposed to run a pub if no one is a manufacturer. And how would someone become a manufacturer so early in the game if it will cost them twice the yenarii they start with?

9. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Sorry the refund still stands. I was only speaking of resources needed to sell your drinks. After doing a little research on beer making I realized there are many abundant resources to make beer from, heck people do it in there basements.

10. Joe Harker

Ice:
    Lod Civius:
    You have two turnchats for someone to start a company making beer before you run out of stocks :)

11. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Manufacturing is an expensive business venture and will take a players full assets this early in the RPG. Starting bonus + borrowing power = a little over 2000 Y. You would make just enough after the loans grace period and signature loan to keep afloat. Either waiting a few TC's or gaining a business partner are also both options.

12. Joe Harker

Ice if you want i could join in partnership, since i own a copper mine i am planning to open a construction industry which doesn't need money to start up, therefore together we have enough to start a manfacturing company. Interested?

13. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

I am concerned though, because with so few people in the economy, it is going to be very hard to maintain one. Think about it. The economy will be non-existant without buyers. In ordr for there to be buyers there must be resellers. In order for there to be resellers, there must be manufacturers. A manufacturer costs a lot of money to start up, plus you need a resource or land grant. Very few manufacturers will start up, and therefore there will only be a very limited number of businesses to create.

In order to solve this problem, I propose the following:
    A reseller may order from either a privately owned manufacturer, or a state owned manufacturer. Privately owned are the ones started by citizens, while state owned is operated by the bank, which takes a % (or tax) out of all profits made by that business each turnchat. Not only does this allow resellers to exist without private manufacturers, but it also allows the bank to control inflation, as private owned manufacturers will have to price their products reasonably so it is worth it to buy from them rather than the state.

@Joe Harker Yes I am interested. I also plan on setting up another business which might help yours. Right now its in the thread that is asking for citizens for a business venture.

14. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I have a solution to the problem though it will require ammending the rules. If you own a resource you do not need to start a manufacturing company, just a resalers business. However if you combine multiple resources for items or do not own the resource yourself you must have a manufacturing company. This will significantly reduce the start up costs of getting items to the market. Your idea is great ice, however I want to avoid adding any thing new to the game like state run companies.

15. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

I think your overcomplicating my idea. State run companies was just a word for role play purposes. You wouldnt have to make a new company for each product. You would simply tax all business that do not buy from manufacturers a certain percentage.

16. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Let us wait and see how it works out for the first or second TC's. If we need to add, remove or adjust a rule after that we can ammend the Rules. I don't want to overcompensate if we don't have too, Sound fair?

17. Cyc

Sounds fair.

18. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

@Joe: Since it seems we'll both be away for quite some time, but in different intervals, what about doing a partnership business? Now we need to find something that requires Ivory and Copper... :)

How are all of you enjoying the Olympics thus far? The Dutch aren't really doing great so far, but at least the soccer team is still in the tournament (with a lot of luck).

@Joe: Did you see Twente - Arsenal last night? Pity Twente couldn't put their dominance in the first hour to good use.

19. Joe Harker

Ok. :) Though finding something with copper and ivory in it is going to be hard, all i can think off is a piano but who would want to buy a piano :crazyeye:

Been getting up at 6 am to watch them but it's been worth it so far, track and field starts tomorrow which is always fun to watch.

You were so lucky to score that last minute free kick!

The dutch should do well in the cycling (so should GB with any luck)

No, I watched the Liverpool - Liege, for the first half, couldn't bare to watch the second half, they were really terrible so i am quite happy with 0-0 for once. I suspect my signature might come true :(

The important thing though is the football season is back :woohoo:

20. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

You mean the one against the US, brilliantly taken by Sibon? Well, that wasn't the end of our luck, against Japan, who were already knocked out of the tournament, we were at 0-0 for a long time, and we had to win and the US had to lose against Nigeria. The US was 2-1 behind. In the last couple of minutes, we got a penalty (for nothing), while the US managed to hit the bar against Nigeria.

I'm not so sure about the Cycling. Vos was tipped to win the road race, but ended 6th :( And Theo Bos hasn't been in his best form lately.

About Liverpool, at least they will play European football this year. That isn't even true for Feyenoord :(

edit: shouldn't we have this talk in the new poverty pub thread?