The Power of Colonization

HarryLime

Chieftain
So I just played a game as Portugal on a Terra Incognita map, which is like Terra, but sometimes the new world doesn't exist. After a rush to Astronomy and a quick scouring of the globe, I found nothing but a few island chains off opposite coast of my continent. Nothing too exciting, but because I went into the game with the intention of setting up colonies, I figured I might as well go ahead and do it.

I plopped down two cities on tiny islands with unique resources. I bought a workshop in each and a cargo ship in each and sent them back and forth with production. Right off the bat, these two cities had 12 hammers. 2 from the workshops, 7 from the cargo ships and 3 from the commerce social policy. They were able to get up and running and I became a political player on the other side of the globe in no time. I was able to take advantage of some--ahem--political strife between Poland and the Inca and grabbed a few cities with ships I was able to produce on these tiny islands.

Before long my ex-Incan capital became my major trade hub, able to reach all the more lucrative cities I couldn't with my capital. I was able to spin that into one of the biggest domination victories I've ever had.

All this is to say that in BNW, the first time in any game I've played in the series, colonization seems to be a truly viable and powerful strategy. It gives you a real reason to explore and a chance for a civ that's struggling in the early game to become a major power in the mid game.

Fine. Screenshots. This is all on emperor, standard speed.

Spoiler :

This is the earliest save I had. It's well after my Incan/Polish war. The initial two colonies I planted were Leiria and Funchal. I settled Goa after I had more control of the area. At the time of these shots I had switched my cargo ships from my islands to both pumping into Cuzco. They're still making factories at a decent rate.

Spoiler :

By comparison, this is my original land. Once again, this is a while after I got this operation going. I started as soon as I got Navigation, which I researched before I even had metal casting.

Spoiler :

This is the economic overview by the endgame. As you can see, Cuzco is my most lucrative city. Highest production, highest gold. I guess that's not abnormal, to have a conquered city outperform your capital. But I would not have had it without my presence on those two islands to start. The entire colony is about 70 tiles away from Lisbon. You can't see Leiria or Funchal's stats, but they're at about 38 hammers each.

Spoiler :

This is what the colony situation looked like on my last turn.

You need to boost science. Make RA when possible and make science building before others. Screen of your army turn 278 dissappoints me a lot.

Colonizing is always awesome, especially if you're one of the first to grab astronomy (or are Polynesia), as you can have very lucrative early trade routes with other civs. I never thought to feed production to each other though :king: fantastic idea.

I don't get the point of this thread.

The point (I believe) is that building distant cities (aka colonies) is both easier and more beneficial in BNW than before.

I agree that with both the distant city penalty removal and the ability to supply your cities with trade routes, it can be much, much easier. I am not sure a trade route would go that far, however - is that using a harbour?

in Civ 4 it was easier and more beneficial if you build more cities by side your borders to grow in Civ 5 BNW you can do that without being near the border.

Knowing when I have a terra map is a game breaker for me... I'm always the first to find & settle the new lands - at least on king. I like to random it for that reason

Top Bottom