The Power of Espionage - Question

djvandrake

Prince
I just had the strangest thing happen. In my current game I'm on a smallish continent all to myself. I only have contact with two other civs now that we have Galley's plying the seas. (Tokugawa of Japan and his colony). My best guess is that he is on the tip of a bigger landmass.

Early in the game I built the great wall to fend off those pesky barbarians, and ended up getting two great spies from all the GPP it generates. I settled one and built Scotland Yard with the other in my Capital. Needless to say my espionage ratio against Tokugawasan is HUGE! something like 5,900 to 400.

Well all of the sudden I get this entire parade of other leaders introducing themselves to me. 8 other civ leaders, all in one turn. I haven't left the continent and they haven't come to me. No one has caravels yet.

What gives?

Did I reach such a level of espionage against Tokugawa that I now can see all the civs that Tokugawa has contact with? I didn't know I could do that! *shrugs*

The map is still black by the way. I don't yet know where any of these other civs are.

I have seen that happen before and that is strange. In earlier Civ games, you could trade communications with other civs, but I have not seen this implemented in Civ 4. My guess is we have very effective spies visiting countries we never heard of...

I think I figured it out. This event coincided with the completion of the Apostolic Palace, and all the civs that I met were the ones eligible for a vote.

That has to be it.

Usually the AP does not give you contact with the civs you did not met yet...

I'm pretty sure it's the AP. I just tried it in world builder. 4 civs on an archipelago map. I gave 3 of the 4 civs (including me) a christian missionary. Next turn I gave izzy theology and half a dozen great engineers. Sure enough, next turn hello it's Izzy, hello it's Willem and then the vote for AP leader appears. :)

I'm pretty sure it's the AP. I just tried it in world builder. 4 civs on an archipelago map. I gave 3 of the 4 civs (including me) a christian missionary. Next turn I gave izzy theology and half a dozen great engineers. Sure enough, next turn hello it's Izzy, hello it's Willem and then the vote for AP leader appears. :)

Mystery solved!!!! Thanks LegionSteve. :)

And it's always nice we can count on Izzy to be so predictable. :lol:

Mystery solved!!!! Thanks LegionSteve. :)

And it's always nice we can count on Izzy to be so predictable. :lol:

That's why why all love her. That and the heaving bosom when she's "pleased" with you... ;)

That's why why all love her. That and the heaving bosom when she's "pleased" with you... ;)

Indeed. Izzy figured quite prominently in my last empire journal.....

http://www.simphoni.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15303

I'll always have a soft spot for the raven haired beauty. That'll probably come back to haunt me one day!!! :lol:

Oh, and I want to say thank you to Sisiutil for that excellent article on the early rush. In the journal above I had to make a WARRIOR rush, and your strategies were indispensible...:)

Top Bottom