1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The powerful army...

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Bardak, May 28, 2007.

1. Bardak

Bardak Chieftain

:spear:

I cannot believe it!! An army of cavalries beated by one single enemy cavalry!! My last two cavalries of the army have lost against the one-redlined attacking cavalry! :cry:

Anyway the AI strategy is really strange against an army. If the army is going around pillaging whatever it find, nobody cares. Only when the army conquers a city the AI attacks without stacking the units.

In my actual AW game I've a lonely city in the enemy continent with many artilleries and 3 army of cavalries. It's funny to see how many units the AI can lose without make any damage!

2. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Armies maybe attacked if they in a town, especially if it was captured or just founded. They will be attacked if they are damaged enough. They will be attacked if the AI determines it can be beaten.

This is seen if you have an AA army alive in the later stages of the game. Basically a cav army that is at full health will not be attacked in the open field.

Once the AI gets bombers, it will bomb an army and then it is at risk. So you can have a cav army pillage safely as long as it is not within bombardment range.

Note that if you have the AI Patrol flag on, you can get a unit to bump into the army and it will atack it. I have lost cav armies like that. One or two units bump into the army and do enough damage to make the AI come for it.

3. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I have had as many as 700 units die attacking my beachhead town. In games like that I do not want to ue cav armies to defend. I prefer a defensive army for that job.

Muskets if it is ealry, infantry later in the game. They can take a lot of units, but any army can be defeated, given enough units. Always make a barracks to get the full health after each turn.

4. White Fox

White Fox Lord

I would never build a defensive army, I don't think it would be worth using an army just to fill it with defensive units. (unless I had the academy)
    You already have a cav army, burn them! Go on offense. If you don't think that you can keep the town without the army you can abandon it and capture other towns after you have weakened their production. Defensive wars have an odd way a stagnenting, especially if you have a gov with war weariness.

5. metamike

metamike Chieftain

Don't really have much to say, just that you better get used to it.

I'd had an army lose to a Barbarian fortified on his hut once.

...Dont ask... :(

6. ecuwins

ecuwins Chieftain

Heh, an army of spearmen. That would be funny to see.

7. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Never is a very strong term. What are you facing? You have 4 man cav armies and face muskets and knights, fine, IF the numbers are not too high.

Same army and face cavs, enough to expend 20 or more on each army, best make a defensive army.

I would not make one in a std map on low levels like emperor or DG and laying no variant, but change that to AW or Sid and you better not use cav armies to defend a lone town on a contient or a pangea map.

The numbers will just wear down those cav armies and you lose them and the town. Not that you canot lose infantry armies, I have, but they are going to take a lot of killing.

8. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

That would be desperation only. The defense is not enough to stop the Ai from attacking and it is not much on offense and is very slow. A Sword armie is fine as the atack 3 makes a big difference.

I have use archer, in a real pinch, but that is not real great either.

9. metamike

metamike Chieftain

Actually isn't a defensive army pretty pointless, because it's only good for defending something big like a capital?

But if you have ANY army in a town, the AI will usually choose another town to attack before they don't particularly enjoy attakcing any types of armies, and will usually take any other alternative.

10. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

They will attack armies in towns. The orignial mention was a beachhead town. That means you land on their shores and found a town. The will attack, almost regardless of what is in it and what they have for units.

I have lost many armies under those conditons, of all types. I have lost a number of 4x infantry armies that were attack by wave after way of cavs and MDI's.

The game will put up that army, even though it is redlined and you have other infantry. Like I said, if I have 4 or 5 cav armies and can expect 50 or more cavs to hit the place, that is not a winning tactic.

You will lose those armies and I have done it before. I used a musket army and other units to stand off a couple hundred horsemen and archers with a town on a hill with a wall. It was touch and go though.

I am not avocating making a defensive army to use in your every day game, that would not make sense. Still an infantry army is very useful in an invasion and will pay for itself.

Once you go on attack, it can sit on any location that needs to be held, where a cav army may not do the job and would be better used to attack a town.

11. AVN

AVN Chieftain

I have done it in my first deity game which I recently was able to win.
    I had no iron or horses, so had to attack with archers and catapults. The first leader I got was used for creating a spear army, which was great for defending my stack of bombing units. It was never attacked by the AI, even not with cavs and it survived till the end of the game (early IA), although I always kept it outside cities.

My 2nd leader was used for a horse army (I had horses then, but still no iron).
    It was killed in no time by a few med inf's who started hunting (I was far behind in tech in this game).

So. Spearman armies can be useful. And for a long period.

12. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I also had one of those once. I was playing a difficulty far above what I usually played, and was fortunate enough to get a great leader before dying. I had a mountain chokepoint guarding one of my towns, and was getting obliterated in the field, so I created a spear army and fortified it on the mountain, and then build a Fortress and Barricade. The AI didn't attack it for centuries - IIRC they didn't attack it until they got both bombers and tanks.

13. SG-17

SG-17 Chieftain

Were you attacking across a river? Was the AI on a hill or mountain, because I have had that happen before.

14. Bardak

Bardak Chieftain

The town has a barrack. In the town I put also a stack of artilleries and infantries. But since the armies has the greatest hit point it is the first unit to defend the town, and the AI never reach the second unit...

Once in one turn I defeated 25 enemy cavs with the artilleries and single cavs.

15. Bardak

Bardak Chieftain

I'm in communism, so no war weariness. I just wonder if keep on attacking cities and disband them or build my city network in the new continent. That's sound lot of work and I'm starting to feel tired of a game with 3 turns per hour.

But I'm really think that the offensive way is the right way.

16. Bardak

Bardak Chieftain

I have 117 cities, the academy and pentagon. I build one army every 4 turns (accelerated production) so I can make an army of infantry. But what the movement points of such army? Four? If I go on offensive I think this should slow my attack forces.

17. Bardak

Bardak Chieftain

This is the point! If you have an army, of cavs or greater, fully healed, you have a pillaging machine! You can go everywhere in the enemy field, destroying wathever you want and no one hit you!

I had 20 single cavs fortified on a mountain and I have to retreat them after a very long counterattacking, but if I would have an army on the same mountain nobody would attack me.

18. Bardak

Bardak Chieftain

No it was on grassland, no river. My army had lost some hit point (but I think 2 or 3 of the 18-20) when an enemy cav attacked. He lost almost all of his hits points and when he reached the last one he defeated the last two cavs of my army (with one hit point!).

19. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

In C3 and PTW the speed is one for infantry army. In C3C it will be 2. You should have rails to move around in on your land. You could use the army to cover workers railing towards enemies or to cover arties.

You would not want to have them with cav armies. They could come and cover a damaged cav army, once you captured the roads.

20. White Fox

White Fox Lord

If I ever had the misfortune to be attacked by an enemy army, I might build a defensive army. However, the chance of getting a leader at the exact moment to know that I should build a defensive army is highly unlikely. So I would build an offensive army. Even then, with the army's ability to attack more than once, it can be used to attack an attacking force before they have a chance to use their attacking strength against you (unless you were facing a massive stack, in which case your army would be destroyed or forced to retreat)