1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Powers that Be

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by seasnake, Mar 31, 2011.

1. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

I have made a few mods and I enjoyed them, but there's a few reasons why I'm getting out of Civ IV modding.

1) I'm writing a book
    2) I'm getting into Civ V and playing Fable: The Lost Chapters, so that fills up my video game time.
    3) I'm doing this with a job, wife, two kids.

Modding has been my fun, and now I have more fun things I want to do. I never wanted this to feel like a chore and thank goodness it hasn't, it's been enjoyable.

As to the other, with of course all due respect to FfH and RoM, I feel I HAVE made the best mod out there. I think this mod is an optimal balance of new things and ideas and elegance, I didn't want it to have 200 new units, techs, civs, etc. I wanted to add a few new things and work on creating a game that played well but felt like Civ IV, not a scenario like Road to War or a changed setting like FfH. This is exactly the kind of game I would want to play as a Civ IV module.

I'm open to balance changes and bug fixes as always, but as for a core redesign or a new mod that simply will not happen. I offer TPtB as my great and last Civ IV mod, and whatever rep I get from that I will be content.

2. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Tell us when your book's finished, I'm looking forward to it already ;)

3. dataskywalker

dataskywalker Warlord

Don't worry about what others have to say, seasnake. Your Rise of Empires and Glory and Greatness mods seem, to me, the perfect balance between a minor addition and a huge revamp or content extravaganza. Your mods added enough new content to provide a new experience in playing Civ 4, without heavily complicating gameplay like some huge modpacks tend to do. Thank you for contributing to my enjoyment of playing Civilization, and good luck in your present and future endeavors.

4. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Hope you like fantasy fiction then.

Thank you for this, but really I'm not too worried about what other people say. Darkedone brought up a fair point, likely this mod and others I've done will never be a "must get" for Civ IV. That's fair, the professionalism and quality of guys such as C. Roland, Dale, OrionVeteran, Kael, The_J have put into their mods are worthy of being in an elite group. I just wanted to let him know I'm okay with that, I'm not in this to be an elite modder but to have fun and hopefully let people enjoy what I've done.

5. dataskywalker

dataskywalker Warlord

You had some fun modding and provided some fun for others. That's all that really matters. That and taking pride in your work.

6. Edward The Big

Edward The Big Bob Crane's Tripod

Of the mods for Civ IV posted after Civ V was released, this (and the other two you released) is at the top.

Well done.

7. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

I see, good luck on making your book into a success.

8. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Thanks, here's hoping, right? Enjoy the Mod.

And thanks Edward the Big, always nice to get good feedback.

9. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Seasnake, I am announcing the use of this mod for a story in the Civ4 S&T! I'll include a link to this thread, if you do not mind...

10. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

of course I don't mind, it's quite a compliment. Thank you very much.

11. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Congrats on the release! :king: Can't believe I missed it... :blush:

12. DOmar1990

DOmar1990 Warlord

Hey I can't install the HOT FIX to the mod... when I try to pass the Assets folder to the mod, it just pass inside the mod but do not replace nothing. When I follow the folders of the fix, I find that maybe it's because for example in the ARTS folder, there is a folder called UNITS (inside is AFRICAN and MIDDLE EAST folders, but in the mod there is no UNITS folder inside of arts folder, there just appear MOVIES folder

13. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Place the "Assets" Folder from the Hotfix into "The Powers that Be" directly. It should ask you if you want to replace certain files. Say yes.

14. DOmar1990

DOmar1990 Warlord

When I unzip the Hot Fix, and try to put the Assets inside of the mod; it doesn't ask for replace nothing... when I open the mod's folders, appears 2 folders of Assets; the one of the mod, and the one of the hot fix separate from the other Asset folder. Is that alright or there's something bad on not asking to replace anything?
    If I have to do it manually, what I have to replace and where to put the other files that not replace???

15. DOmar1990

DOmar1990 Warlord

Ok... I already unzip the Hot Fix and install it on the Assets folder... but Israeli BOMBER UNIT, and Ship OF THE LINE unit stills appear like a red circle. The problem stills in some other units of other civs.

16. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

You simply unzip the hotfix folder anywhere, say the desktop. Then you copy the file "Assets" inside. Paste that inside the folder "Beyond the Sword/Mods/The Powers that Be" and it should offer to replace certain items.

If there are more issues let me know and I'll investigate. So the Israeli Bomber and Ship of the Line have issues? Okay, I'll look into that.

17. lumberjack

lumberjack Chieftain

thanks for the mod!

I really have liked what I have played so far. the new civ traits are great. I like these mods as they add new elements to that game, but are not TOO much like some of the other mods around.

great job!

18. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

The middle east bomber and ship of the line have been fixed. I redo the hotfix to include them. Any more? I'll check this thread for a day before changing the hotfix around. I'll also make the hotfix a little easier to employ and clarify the instructions.

19. lumberjack

lumberjack Chieftain

I'm crashing.

20. dataskywalker

dataskywalker Warlord

So you're uploading a new hotfix or replacing the hotfix you already uploaded?