1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Princess Rule... and penguins ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Baron Von Noob, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Baron Von Noob

Baron Von Noob Chieftain

So I've just discovered today what the Princess Rule was (the whole "If it can be on a 6 year old bedroom wall it won't be in FFH" thing, for even noober noobs than me :) ).

I just have to ask : How did cute and amusing penguins bringing happiness and joy to your city manage to pass with such a rule ?

Especially considering that Erebus is coming out of the Age of Ice, how can people actually enjoy seeing "creatures of the cold" frolicking in the tundra ?

Other than that, well, awesome mod, I haven't played vanilla civ or any other mod in ages because of it, congratulations to the whole team !

2. MrUnderhill

MrUnderhill Civ-loving Hobbit

The "cute and cuddly" thing is just an act. They're really agents of the Illian mafia who slowly take over your civ.

...uh-oh, I shouldn't have said that. Just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave! :lol:

3. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Look at the Penguins in Runescape. Here. There planning Global conquest and deloslation. Also, my penguins are translucent, and don't move. Their actually very powerful explosive golems, built to look like peguins.

4. Kael

Kael Deity

I actually considered this before adding the penguins. They are definitly more whimsical than your typical FfH entry and they probably wouldnt have been added except that I personally really wanted penguins hanging out on some of the cold coastal areas in one of the "Ice" scenarios. The fact that an event got added for them is really secondary, I was trying to dress up a scenario map.

But its a reasonable question, though I dont think they truely break the princess rule as much as other things that it was intended to block (pegasus, unicorns, justin timberlake posters).

5. KingOfLands

KingOfLands Warlord

The angelic procession event infringes a bit too, in my opinion, but again, it's not a big huge deal and anything that lowers the Armageddon counter without my having to work at it is okay with me.

6. kumquatelvis

kumquatelvis Prince

Maybe they aren't penguins at all? Maybe they are Prinnies?

7. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

But Pegasi? what if their jet black and go around mauling people? sorta like the spider event but u can catch it and and it to a unit (Fly on a Hero any1? and it would give combat buffs cuz its trampling the enemy)

8. Demus

Demus King

you should check out the carnivorous unicorns from the game "overlord", they're awesome :p

9. smusebaer

smusebaer Warlord

Pinguines are pure maskulin... they wear a smoking. :lol:

10. Wyrmhero

Wyrmhero Dragon-Lord

Awesome? It indirectly killed me!

I thought that I'd be smart, and go up to them, not burning the forest down, and keeping myself good. So, I stride triumphantly into the wheat field. And then... I press the 'E' button, casting fireball, and burning the field & sacred tree. The unicorns die, the tree dies, and I die. Oh well. What's the good of power if you can't wield it? :D

11. Kael

Kael Deity

This goes back to an earlier point about why would we borrow common concepts if we weren't takign advantage of their identity. I believe Overlord did it as a joke. But I think having FfH include unicorns with the stipulation that they are "evil flesh eating unicorns" would seem unimaginative.

12. Wyrmhero

Wyrmhero Dragon-Lord

I'd like to see Nightmares as an actual unit (barb, maybe) that are spawned on hell terrain, or in an event, as I hardly ever see Nightmare resources, since the Infernals don't really expand much in my games.

13. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

Penguins do not necessarily = "cute." Don't forget H.P. Lovecraft had penguins in "Call of Cthulhu." Admittedly, they were giant albino penguins which lived near the Mountains of Madness and which the shoggoths ate, but they were still penguins.

Hmmm ... Perhaps we can have two penguin events, the original and a multi-part event in which the happy frolicking penguins mutate into giant albino penguins. You'd have a turn or two to deal with the problem, otherwise something nasty like a Pit Beast shows up to eat the penguins and some of your units. Of course, both events would start exactly the same ...

14. SwordofStriker

SwordofStriker Prince

Yup, I would agree. Overlord was a fun game and the concept of all the twisted critters on it was a good one. However, adding them because they were presented the way they were on Overlord would be pretty unimaginative at best, and that's one thing this mod and the team are not.

Too bad about the Justin Timberlake posters though.... :lol:

15. Kael

Kael Deity

Completly off topic but Guillermo del Toro (director of Hellboy II, Pan's Lanyrinth, and one of my personal favorite directors) was looking to make Mountains of Madness. Though I think that may have been bumped so he can direct the Hobbit and Dr Strange (which Neil Gaiman helped write).

But Im still hoping that someday I get to see del Toro's take on the giant penguins.

16. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

FfH actually already comes very close to including Unicorns. The real kind of unicorn, not the typical fantasy version. Ancient references to a Unicorm/Monocorn, as well as the more recent references to them made by Marco Polo, seem to pretty clearly refer to what we would call a Rhinoceros ("nose horn"). Of course, these referred to the one-horned Indian/Asian variety, not the two horned version that the Dwarven Hornguard ride.

17. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Here. This is possibly the origin of the Persian Unicorn. Oh and Here.

18. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

Penguins don't violate the princess rule cuz of their nefarious nature. Consider this. Wat do people in tuxs do? MAFIA!

19. SwordofStriker

SwordofStriker Prince

It's very interesting finding out the sources of these mythological creatures. For example, the griffon came about when people found the bones of a certain type of dinosaur in Asia near very rich deposits of gold. It was said the griffons guarded the gold or used it in their nests or something. Oddly enough, the dinosaur in question didn't have wings at all, but a large bony plate that extended over it's back resembling wings. Somehow the stories of this guardian creature made it west to the Greeks, where the stories of the griffons we know today in western culture were written into history/mythology.

A great deal of the Greek mythological creatures have their origins in what you might call early archaeology and the finding of ancient bones that couldn't be explained at the time except through mythology.

20. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

Ya know, often these supposed origin creatures are fakes, cuz the scientist wanted to cheat and say he found a new extinct species. But let's not get goin on that. I could go forever.

Anyway, bottom line penguins=mafia. Therefore, penguins don't fall unner the princess rule. So, suck on that, daddy's lil girl!