1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pros and Cons of an Early Manufactory

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Seabastian Civ, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Seabastian Civ

Seabastian Civ King

It might be an unpopular strategy, but I love going for either Stonehenge or the Pyramids ASAP. Why do I love it so much? Well, the +1 engineer point virtually guarantees my one wonder turns into two in < 100 turns. At least, I usually rush a second wonder.

I'm wondering now if there is a good argument that can be made for putting down a manufactory instead of rushing a Wonder... I guess my thinking is that the manufactory can give such a big boost to production that it may end up being more valuable than a mediocre wonder.

Of course, if I can get Chichen Itza, Great Mosque, or Oracle, I probably will... just wondering what the forum thinks. Does anyone forgo the wonder for a manufactory? Is this just too foolish to even consider?

2. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

It largely depends on what level you're playing on...

At Immortal and Deity, you're lucky to get any Wonders (maybe a couple at Immortal), so you would always tend to use a GE to finish one.

At Emperor, Wonders are easier to get, so the choice can make more of a difference... personally, I don't think it makes a lot of difference longterm.

At King and below, so it's not so important, as it's easy to spam Wonders anyway.

3. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

The two free workers are helpful if you are avoiding the Liberty tree and don't get the one if offers. But I wish the pyramids were allowed to be built earlier.

Stonehenge is a nice faith boost, but a luxury. Unless you happen to sit in a pretty placement and can create faith by the boatload with the proper pantheon it is my last wonder build.

The NEED for a manufactury, I find is rare and I would rather spam a wonder with my Engineer early on. But such are the choices in the game.

4. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

It's not foolish at all if you plan on early warmongering. A manufactory + heroic epic + barracks is a powerful combo.

5. Seabastian Civ

Seabastian Civ King

I usually play on Immortal in SP. I usually go tradition, build a CB army, then build/buy 3-6 settlers for expansion.

I also like the stonehenge rush in MP if I'm out of the way from an early rush/in an easily defended position, because I completely agree- Stonehenge is a luxury. However, if you can finish it, tithe/itinerent can be game changing. That early faith investment can pay huge dividends once the religion is enhanced, in my experience.

6. Hpuk

Hpuk Warlord

Korean manufactories might be worth trying, especially if you can finish Freedom.

7. Storminator

Storminator Warlord

If you pack 3 cities close together you can put a Manufactory in a spot all three can work. Then you can swap between them. A Manufactory can really get a small city going in a hurry when you don't have a wonder to build.

I don't know if it's actually a good strat, but it can be fun.

PS

8. triheptyl

triheptyl Warlord

I find engineers are kind of the opposite of scientists, better to use their ability early, and plant them later. There comes a point where engineers stop providing all the production needed for a wonder, I think it's the Industrial era, and that's usually when I start planting the engineers I get. Of course if there's a wonder I have to have I might save an engineer for that, but in generally I start building manufactories in the Industrial era (hmm... how fitting, never noticed that before).

9. Furycrab

Furycrab King

Actually manufacturies, much like academies, will pay off more if planted early, and later on, once you have the population, it's better to use them to insta pop wonders.

The catch is that on higher difficulties, getting the tech sooner is more likely to give you better chances at getting the wonder than having more hammers, so for the purposes of getting wonders, planting the GEs isn't going to do you much good.

However you can work some conquest strategies where you get one city that has massive production, the heroic epic and exp buildings and just start forcing your unit down someones throat... Planting a GE or two can work wonders with such an approach.

10. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

If you are cranking out experienced units, then why not let the AI build the wonders for you?

11. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Planting manufactories is also reasonably useful if you plan to go for a Cultural (Utopia Project) or Science (Apollo Program and Spaceship parts) Victory since the extra hammers will speed up production of the Projects which can't be bought or hurried by a GE.

12. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

its usefull if you are going for domination you can crank out units faster at cities who don't have any production

13. LostInTime

LostInTime Warlord

It scales with your production. So if you do it in a high production city you can get most wonders down to one turn, while it won't be nearly as useful in low production cities.
    (so do a max production focus in your city before using it, so you get the most hammers out of it)

14. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

Actually it scales with population...the more pop in the city, the more hammers.

15. Rooftrellen

Rooftrellen King

I consider it best to make manufactories earlier and use a GE later. The raw number of hammers you get from an early manufactory is pretty massive, and, while a 1 turn wonder sounds great, I always feel like I'm wasting a lot of potential doing that. I'd rather take another 3 turns to finish a wonder and not have anything cut off the top and go to waste.

That being said, sometimes an early wonder can make a difference worth rushing and just forgetting those beautiful hammers from the manufactory.

16. LostInTime

LostInTime Warlord

I'm pretty sure I got a key wonder down from 4 turns to 1 with a switch to full production focus when I had food focus. Where do you get that info from?

17. greetswithfire

greetswithfire Chieftain

just wondering..if you settle a manufactory on a mining resource do you get that resource?

18. Rooftrellen

Rooftrellen King

It's like any other great improvement, it can hook up whatever is under it for you.

19. Question

Question King

I don't find engineers very useful mid-late game where all my cities have huge production and my capital can usually build a wonder in 6 turns or less (quick build speed). I usually go for the early manufacturoy to speed things up for my capital (or pop a wonder if i need to grab hanging gardens or something)

20. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Not quite true. It will hook up any strategic resource but not any of the luxury ones. So when it comes to mining, it won't help with Gold, Silver, Gems, Salt, or Copper. But go ahead and plant it on Iron, Coal, Aluminum, and Uranium (or Horses and Oil).