The purpose of a favored gov.

The Dragoon

Chieftain
I was wondering, what is the purpose of a favored gov type? Does it give a civ a bonus, or is it just a method of defining a civilization?

Thats better than anything i expected, ty.

It affects the relations (not reputation), with AI civs. If you and the AI are in their fav gov., then the AI "likes" you more. If you are in their shunned gov and they are not, then they "like" you less.

I wondered about this also.

If your favored government isn't your 'current' government, are there any reprocussions?

If your favored government isn't your 'current' government, are there any reprocussions?
No.

It is only used to when determining AI civs' attitude to you (and other AIs IIRC). It has no effect on how your people view your own government.

I don't even understand the question. What is a favored government? And how do you find out which civs have which ones?

It has 2 effects:
1. It affects diplomatic relations, as described above.
2. A less well known effect is that it makes the AI prefer to use/disuse governments only if[/i] other, more "important" factors (Corruption, Standard Tile Penalty, Trade Bonus) are not present (so, if the AI has an almost neck-and-neck choice on govt's, it can push the AI into one over another)

This is explained better in this post, and also this following post.

I understand what your saying, but, I have noticed that all of the AI travel down the exact same GOV trail, reguardless of what their fav/shunned gov is.

(I.E. depo>monarch>republic>Demo)

That is because of the aforementioned flags, mostly Corruption, Trade Bonus and Tile penalty, so it chooses its gov't as so:
Despotism (starting) -> Monarchy (Lower Corruption, no Tile Penalty) -> Republic (Lower Corruption, Trade Bonus) -> Democracy (Lowest Corruption, Trade Bonus)

Ok, I understand the nature of the question more, now. But, as usual, once you learn something it just leads to more interesting/complicated questions.

So, right now I'm playing as Spain. Looking at the preferred gov list, it appears I'm already in the preferred government. So, does that mean I should stay there, as there isn't any better gov. for this particular civ? And if not, how is Monarch preferred if it isn't the best for that particular civ?

Another question... What benefits does having the preferred government have? If there aren't any, then how is it preferred?

During development, favored/shunned governments were planned to have much more effect. But it didn't "play" well, so they muted it down to only affect attitudes. (There may be some code left that causes a slight influence on government choice, but it is so slight as to be pretty negligible. ;))

So, as a player, choose the government you want. The preferred government will have no noticeable effect for you.

During development, favored/shunned governments were planned to have much more effect. But it didn't "play" well, so they muted it down to only affect attitudes. (There may be some code left that causes a slight influence on government choice, but it is so slight as to be pretty negligible. ;))

So, as a player, choose the government you want. The preferred government will have no noticeable effect for you.

They should have associated the "favored gov" thing with the actual government that a civ is currently in, and not have it civ specific.

Doesn't make sense if I'm playing, say America and decide to use communism based on the game I'm playing.

They should have associated the "favored gov" thing with the actual government that a civ is currently in, and not have it civ specific.

What? How would that make sense? So no matter what government you are in it should be your "favored" government?

I could be mistaken about what SweetChuck means, but I think he means what the government in real life currently is. So, USA wouldn't be communists. Although, if they did this, what would the Mayan or Inca civ be??????? Dead?

I think Sweetchuck talked about the game, not real life, and IMO he is right: since the "favored gvt" of a civ doesnt affect the civ itself but its attitude to other civs, yes it should be the current gvt.
e.g. as long as Persians are fascists they should like other fascist leaders and dislike the republican ones.

The favored government had much more effect in SMAC, but it also made the game too easy.

Allow me to elaborate.

Favored govt is unique to a civ, regardless of what actual govt that civ chooses.

So (if I understand this correctly), other civs react differently to a given civ based on this favored govt thing.

What I am suggesting is that the reaction be set on the actual govt that civ chooses, and not just fixed based on which civ it is.

Make sense?

Allow me to elaborate.

Favored govt is unique to a civ, regardless of what actual govt that civ chooses.

So (if I understand this correctly), other civs react differently to a given civ based on this favored govt thing.

What I am suggesting is that the reaction be set on the actual govt that civ chooses, and not just fixed based on which civ it is.

Make sense?

I think you have it now. The actual Civ is immaterial... it is the government itself that causes reactions by the AI.

The government that a given Civ is in is what causes the attitude reactions by the AI, and that reaction is based on *their* favored/shunned governments, and also what government they are currently in.

Cool - so it does work like that? The actual govt and not the civ nationality.

Somebody gave me some bad info.

:lol:

Top Bottom