1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The pwnage is strong in this one...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Better AI' started by Aron Times, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Aron Times

Aron Times Chieftain

Since I installed the BBAI mod, I haven't been able to progress past the industrial age. None of the strategies I used beforehand work, and I keep getting wtfpwned by the much better AI. I play on Prince difficulty, and I'm not the best player in the world.

Do you guys have any tips on how not to get completely pwned in singleplayer?

2. Axios

Axios Warlord

Ehm.....
    I think that difficult levels was designed for mitigate poor AI.
    With BBAI I think that Noble is tha best (and maxiumum) level to play.

I hope that other user will post their considerations.

3. Borya

Borya Warlord

Noble is still too easy, or maybe I was too lucky during the games I played :)
    For me Prince is really challenging now.

4. Fuyu

Fuyu Emperor

Noble is where the AIs have no (or at least extremely little) advantage over the human players, and vice-versa. So for measurement of AI performance, it's the obvious setting. However it is still pretty easy to win there, the AI is in general still inferior to a human player (how big that difference is, that would depend on the human in question)
    For a real challenge, I suggest Monarch or Emperor. If you can win on Immortal then obviously jdog needs to work harder ;)
    And Diety should be impossible.

5. mwyeoh

mwyeoh Chieftain

Yeah, I agree

I was a monarch player- but thats a bit too difficult now- Ive reduced myself to prince for the moment- may work my way back up!

6. entwood

entwood Warlord

I think the AI allows CIV's to sit in SLAVERY for too long. Either that, or the random event penalties should be greater for it.

Also, OPEN BORDERS should be a bit more restrictive between AI's.

I also play on Prince, and frankly, have never won a game, but I have been playing on Terra map with Maximum amount of CIV's.
    At least several CIV's just tend to get ahead of you and if you are doing well early, which is often the case, they get mad,
    and gang up on you.

7. Yakk

Yakk Cheftan

I haven't managed to do a BBAI 1.0+ game yet -- how is the industrial revolution L-curve? (you know, you hit industrial revolution, your production curve goes from a steady increase to a ridiculously steep increase, followed by food culture and science).

8. CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight Warlord

Land management

Yes I went from emporer level back to monarch once 1.00 was installed. The AI is so much better and really presses advantages in wartime. I used to always grab 3 or 4 cities at the beginning then get macemen as fast as possible but this strategy now attracts a lot of attention from AI often resulting in multiple economy ruining invasions before or during my expansion.

Now, I tend to grab 5-7 cities early on crippling my economy for 50 turns or so, then building a heap of workers (9-12) and managing my land well. The AI can never compete with a human when it comes to land management. This you keeps you off the AI war radar for long enough to have a powerful enough infrastructure developed. Then have a short sharp war capturing 2 or 3 cities, Stop, develop, wait and keep building lots of siege unit.