1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pyramids, MoM, TGW and other assorted World Wonders

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by 2metraninja, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Moved from Turn action thread: To me getting TGW for the barb defense is not to be ignored. But also, for the fear it will create in our enemies. Getting GSpy from it is unlikely, but 2 Gspy points for 2 mere turns of building is not to be issed either. Last thing is if we dont get TGW and Mids, what was all this fighting for stone about? Chiten Itza?

2. Sommerswerd

We just need to send them a message right before we enter the neutral zone that the prior offer for an agreement is off the table and we wait for them to make a new offer

3. SilentConfusion

SilentConfusion Emperor

Let's figure out how to get 'Mids and tGW, too. Teras for 'Mids and Mantra for tGW? How quickly can we get all three?

4. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I personally don't see the point of MoM and golden Ages, since I believe that using Great Persons for other things is far more worth while.

5. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Here is a thought. Though, I consider GW not quite as powerful as Pyramids or MoM in general, in our current situation it could be very useful indeed. Currently we have NAP with RB and are well on way in securing NAP with WPC and CP as well. So in current situation if we get GW we could leave our westernmost cities practically undefended while waging a war in east. All in all, though I'd prefer Pyramids the most.

6. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Even if we never have a golden age the MoM is worth getting to deny it to RB.

7. SilentConfusion

SilentConfusion Emperor

Could Mantra build tGW in a decent amount of time? Teras for 'Mids and Lakshmi for MoM.

8. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Of course we will have golden ages. Because they are powerful. Very powerful. For both increased commerce/hammers and for increased GP growth. And of course MoM is powerful. Think of it this way: Our first Golden Age will be 8 turns and will cost 1 Great Person. Our second GA will be another 8 turns and will cost us 2 GPs. Our third will be again 8 turns and will cost us 3 GPs. Cumulative 24 turns in GA. but if we had MoM we will already be spent in GAs 24 turns only with the first 2 GAs. So MoM is worth like about 3 GPs overall :)

As for using GPs for other things, yeah, sure, we will use them - like our first GP who happened to be Great Scientist we built academy with. We will then use other GPs to bulb key technologies or get money via trade missions, but with well developed nation a GA is very very strong later in the game. Say a nation is making 800 gpt and 350 hammers per turn. And we have 1 Great Merchant. What we do with him? Conduct trade mission? Why not.. We will get like 1200 gold from this trade mission. But what if we fire a GA with the GM? Then we will get like 1100 gpt and 480 hammers per turn. For 8 turns. (1100-800)*8=2400 gold increase. plus some 1000+ hammers - thats like 1 World Wonder more. Not to count that with the +100% GPP generation we can have another GM just for the duration of the GA, netting us another 1200 gold.

And GAs have another quality - if we are racing to some key tech (like Liberalism), a GA can be the difference between win or lose. And getting first to Liberalism nets us like 4000-5000 beakers. Or Economics nets us a GM. Being first to destroyers can mean win or lose in the sea. Getting first to Communism equals 1 Great Spy + first shot at Kremlin to allow you win a war. Not bad, eh?

We are SPI, which makes GAs less crucial, because we dont lose turns in anarchy while switching civics anyway, but GAs are still crazy strong.

9. 2metraninja

Yes. It can be done in just few turns with 2 chops. Teras is for Pyramids. Lakshmi for MoM. But this all depends on not being forced to tech military techs and whip/chop units instead of those wonders. Now all depends on getting NAP with Spaniards.

10. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Depends on the map size etc. Since we are spiritual, no anarchy is not tempting, but will be still very powerful later in the game.

EDIT: cross-post with 2metra

11. SilentConfusion

SilentConfusion Emperor

What about plans where the 'Mids and tGW are built fastest possible? When would that be? We ought to weigh the two plans.

12. 2metraninja

Moving here this from the turn discussion:

13. Sommerswerd

Moved from turn discussion:
    Bottom line is we should be getting both Mids and TGw right away. We fought over stone for exactly this purpose.

14. 2metraninja

What I think is great about the plan I have made is that it allows us flexibility to the last possible moment - do we get Pyramids or we get MoM. This is why I asked for detailed information about RB builds and hammers and to keep very good track on them, so we can make the right decision at that moment.

About TGW, I am OK with getting it, just dont want the team to put expectations on it which wont come true. If we get it sooner than later, it will be in a city, which most probably wont give a birth to a single GP in the game. Just as your TGW city in ACTA did not got a GSpy till now. Why? Because it is in competition with 2 dedicated GP farms. Same will be here. Astan and Hansa will be our GP farms and we cant build TGW any soon in there.

15. 2metraninja

But just we have a saying, the fish is still in the sea, and we are already have the frying pan on the cooker.

We must concentrate on getting NAP with Spaniards and/or Uciv. If we are forced to fight, we will be in way bigger troubles and we will most probably not build any of those wonders.

So, lets get "the mild" message to Spaniards sent, eh?

16. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

This!

17. 2metraninja

Selfquote from the turn discussion thread:

18. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

:sad: At least they agreed not to build the 'Mids, right?

19. 2metraninja

Yes.

I think they have built TGW for the fail gold. But I am sure they were not expecting this turn to bring them so many fail gold. They got like 425 gold increase this turn. They are making ~ 130 gpt (which is really impressive) so, they must have gotten ~300 gold from failgold. This is 150 from TGW and another 150 from MoM I guess.

CivFR is the most probable team who got MoM btw, looking at the scores increases.

20. Sommerswerd

So TGW was not useless it seems:(, if the almighty score leading RB was risking War to found the city, and then stalling on giving us stone obviously to get TGW for themselves;)