The Quote Contest

snipelfritz

Crazy about the Demogame
This is the RPG Forum. The Role Playing Game Forum, and this is a Game. Ok, just saying that incase anyone tries to throw a "wrong forum" at me.

In another thread and the latest TC, I have offered a contest to see who could identify the origin of a specific quote. It has anoyed me that no one has gotten the answer yet, so I make a proposition. The first person to name the origin of the following quote shall be proclaimed as the greatest mind ever know to mankind in my sig until the end of the 3rd Term. And the quote is:

"UNLESS, someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Remember, you must state the PERSON who stated this and WHERE he/she stated it.

That would be the Once-ler in the Lorax by Dr. Seuss.

How could someone like me possibly know that?

Oh well, what happens now?

Yes, Finally someone got it!!!

Cyc, you are the greatest mind ever known to mankind.

:goodjob:

@snipel- isnt that the last line of the book?
heres something you'd like- I was down in Orlando @ Universal Studios over the summer. They have a whole Dr. Seuss land there that looks like a page out of one of the books. One of the things they have is the tower of the Once-ler with three Whisper-ma-phones (i believe that was the proper name) that read that quote over and over and over again.
Didnt Gisle win a Pulitzer for that one? Or was it the one w/Racism?

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
@snipel- isnt that the last line of the book?
heres something you'd like- I was down in Orlando @ Universal Studios over the summer. They have a whole Dr. Seuss land there that looks like a page out of one of the books. One of the things they have is the tower of the Once-ler with three Whisper-ma-phones (i believe that was the proper name) that read that quote over and over and over again.
Didnt Gisle win a Pulitzer for that one? Or was it the one w/Racism?

O yeah, I've been there.

And Im not sure about the Pulitzer. are you talking about one with the Starbellied Sneeches and the Non-Starbellied sneeches, or the Butter Battle Book.

snipelfritz said:
Yes, Finally someone got it!!!

Cyc, you are the greatest mind ever known to mankind.

:goodjob:

Very cool, snipelfritz. Thank you. Do you think you could correct the spelling in your sig?

snipelfritz said:
O yeah, I've been there.

And Im not sure about the Pulitzer. are you talking about one with the Starbellied Sneeches and the Non-Starbellied sneeches, or the Butter Battle Book.

Starbellied and nob-Starbellied. That was the Racism one. I think the Butter Battle one was Nuclear war.
Or is that Golberg I'm thinking of?

SaaM

Sig has been spellchecked.

Saam, yeah the Butter Battle was Nuclear war, though there was some stuff on racism as well. The basis of it was pretty much how silly WWII was. Alot of Dr. Seuss' stuff was really deep. Yertle the Turtle was based on Hitler and the Lorax was about protecting the environment.

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
Starbellied and nob-Starbellied. That was the Racism one. I think the Butter Battle one was Nuclear war.
Or is that Golberg I'm thinking of?

SaaM

:lol: I think that's twisting it. The Sneeches was more about everyone wanting to be like everyone else, and not being happy if you don't have enough. In the end, they were happy for who they were. It was my favorite story as a kid.

Yertle the Turle was my 2nd favorite...

:hmm:

You're right with the translations Rik.

Dr. Seuss is really deep in writing. Green eggs and ham!

The Cat in the Hat was a childrens book which in cluded on *I forget* around 100 or so standard basic reading words. Fox in Socks, I don't know what that was about. Green Eggs and Ham obviously has a moral about you never know until you try.

@Chieftess-In the end, they basically got ripped off by some guy who charged them to be changed from starbelly to non-starbelly. I'm not sure if the Sneeches themselves learned a lesson, but the reader was intended to.

Top Bottom