1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Radiant Guard feedback

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Official Scenarios' started by Kael, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Thunder_Gr

Thunder_Gr Emperor

I have managed to get past this one the second time. The first time I sat back, waiting. Killed 100 demons, and then I rejected the offer from Hyborem...
    After that, I got the message from the Bannor that I will have to rze that city in 20 turns, and I was onm my way with ships filled with troops...promptly sunk by Iras..RIP. In the meantime they got to the Gleaming and the game was over...

Second try, I got to the offensive from turn one...Landed a small amount of troops near the city I ment to capture first(4 units of which 2 made it successfully due to my wrongly selecting the disembargation point...). So, I kept harrasing them with fireballs from the Barges and Maelstorm from the wizard landed there. I also made sure that my enemies were severly hurt when passing by and I headed with two main stacks(one containing the archmage and arquebus the other Threep and 2 mages). I kept a small one(the 2 mages with a radiant,swordsman and ranger) to the north, to delay these troops...
    My losses strengthened the Basium. I merged the remainder of my forces outside the first city. I had to sacrifice Threep to take the first city. When taken, I merged with my last wizard(all other troops north lost, as well as two more wizards) and headed north. I used the Earth elemental on attack and the water elemental when I wanted to defend. I made sure to weaken the enemies with maelstorm. Hopefully, with the help the Bannor gave me, I managed to raze the second city and get to hyborem. When I defeated him(over two turns), the game announced a conquest victory and...stopped.
    No stats, no exit options, no nothing. I checked with the scenario button (the buttons were working) and saw that the next scenario was unlocked...So, I exited to main menu and went on to start the next scenario.

This is very enjoyable scenario that presents a challenge. The only thing I think can be improved is the finale. It would be nice for the player to be given the option to exit knowing that his computer did not hung up or something...

Now, Maybe I should post this to the Black Tower feedback, but I haven't started it yet for the following reason:
    After I started the Black Tower, and when settled my first city I got a window asking me what civ I like this city to be handlled by...And had Ljosalfar and svaltalfar greyed out...I checked the other scenarios and didn't show anyone giving the alliance of any elves to this scenario.
    I figuered it may be the splintered court, so I started that scenario instead, but it doesn't say that this will give me the option to have elves at black tower.

Anyone know something about it?

2. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

I beat the scenario by the edge of my fingertips, with a single unit left, on Monarch. Feedback would be something like:

1: Ira! Ira! Ira! Get them off me! Get them OFF me! The Ira killed my entire stack heading for Bastradam. I believe this is mentioned by others. I would find it balancing if one or two Ira spawned, but twelve?

2: Visibility. I actually organized my defenses against west (thinking the limitation of movement was to prevent offense against Infernals until later). Also, the passes to the city would be nice to see aswell. Perhaps add visibility of Hyborem once the 100 demons are dead.

3: Ships. I never realized the Infernals would not send ships, so I kept mine at a two-tile strait until I had killed the 100 Demons. Then I attacked and lost them against the Ira.

4: Lore. Very nice! As mentioned by others, a message that the Mercurian Gate is built would be nice.

3. Thunder_Gr

Thunder_Gr Emperor

If you move quickly, you get the city before Iras are spawned.

4. Breunor

Breunor Deity

I enjoyed this scenario very much. What do I look for in a FfH scenario? Three main items - first, a good challenge, an interesting time; second, the scenario is different from a regular Epic game; third, it has an interesting story/lore that helps enjoy the experience. The third item, though, is not nearly as important to me as 1 and 2, but it is a nice enhancer.

I won this my first time, but I was sweating. Indeed, at one point I thought I was going to lose and considered restarting, but I stuck with it.

SPOILERS

The beginning of the game reminds me of the BtS (or was in Warlords?) scenario Defense! The key is to find a good line of defense, choke points, and to try to do fighting at range, just like Defense. Obviously the four mages and the archmage are the key units here. The idea is to kill at range.

I don't have a lot to add to the comments already here. I think the key strategic issue is whether to wait to get 100 kills before aiding Capria, or getting the 100 kills, gathering the army, and moving in force. I realized though that there was a lot of hellfire and a lot of spawning of very tough units; I'm thinking a quick attack may be worthwhile before the Infernals build up. But how many units, which units? I took my time and found fierce resistance.

I got the '20 turn' message, but got to Balderstam in about 10. Next time, i may try to move faster.

Spoilers

I lost a lot of units attacking Balderstam including my arquebus -- I was terrified I wouldn't be able to take out the Infernals. The most important lesson is not to try to kill everything, sneak around to try to get to Dis.

Intelligence is a key to victory -- your floating eye spell is a life saver.

When I got to Dis it was lightly defended and I ended up winning.

Summary

I lost about 10 units and thought I was in bad shape, but I wasn't. I didn't find the scenario to be overly hard but it is 'tight'; I was on the end of my chair. It clearly was a strategy game different from what we see in normal FfH. Good job!

Minor min-bugs:

Spoilers

A key part of the game is trying to avoid the killer stacks of baddies while marching to and trying to find Dis. While marching around and using floating eyes, I got a message that a great prophet was generated in Dis; it showed me exactly where the city was!

Second, when I won the game and got the message, I got put back in the game, but I couldn't get off the screen; there was no ability to get out. I had to get out with cntl-als- del.

Best wishes,

Breunor

5. The P

The P Chieftain

I'm having problems with this scenario.

The first part (kill 100 enemies) goes rather fine: I manage to kill them, and conquer Bastardam. Then, when the game tells me to defeat Hyborem... that's where the trouble begin.

First, I thought it only meant that I should kill the unit Hyborem, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Then, I managed to conquer all of the Infernal cities, only to be told that "Basium has won Conquest victory". After re-attempting that for a couple of times, I got frustrated, and spawned the map full of Aurius Ascended, defeating every last demon there was. The game tells that the Infernal Civilization has been defeated, but again, it is Basium who wins.
    I do not even gain access to the next scenario!

I do believe I have the latest patch, so if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.

6. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

My game ended as soon as I killed the Hyborem unit.

7. Breunor

Breunor Deity

Quick question for you, The P -- Did you kill Hyborem originally outside of Dis? If the answer is yes, did he get reborn and did you then kill him again?

If you answered yes ot the first question, then it would appear that Hyborem's immortal ability is messing stuff up -- that is, because he is immortal he is being reborn and he isn't being registered as killed and you aren't triggering the scenario victory conditions; then when the infernals are defeated, there is a conquest victory for Basium since he owns the cities on the map!

And if the answer to the second question is no, then the rebirth mechanism may be messed up; or if the answer to the second question is yes, perhaps scenario victory isn't being triggered on the second Hyborem death.

And if the answer to the first question is no, and you killed him in Dis, then I'm just totally wrong! :)

Best wishes,

Breunor

8. MAPBill

MAPBill Chieftain

Where can I find those patches for The Radiant Guard (if it can be that specific)?

I thought the final release of FFH2 contained all the patches. Are all scenarios patches to be downloaded separately?

Thanks in advance!

9. Thunder_Gr

Thunder_Gr Emperor

Just download the latest patch. There are no specific scenario patches.

10. BLubmuz

BLubmuz HoF Quattromaster

I manage to win this with some cheating:
    cheat 1: opened WB to see the map
    immediately grouped my units, loaded all my ships with the strongest, beeelined to the coastal city
    Once received the preciuos confessor and some useless champions, i got a lost by conquest!!! ??? !!!
    cheat 2: reloaded a couple turns early, see the Mercurian city under siege by some 12 units, defended by 2 weak angels. Put a paladin there, promoted to CG1,2,3. No more worries on that side.
    Then kept a small stack on a forested hill near Basium, stacked all the others to take the far north city. Useless, i should have beeline the central one.

Once killed the big demon, i got a freeze: just clicked the minimap and i got all the victory messages.
    The Mercurian city disappeared, the infernal city and all the units too, and i has Innsmouth in the SW corner of the map.

I think it's not so easy beat this scenario without those cheats: give Basium at least a strong defender is required, you can't avoid some enemy unit to escape and kill the weak defenders.
    Also it would be better see the Mercurian city from the beginning and after you kill your 100th unit, see the real target.

11. Anderange

Anderange Chieftain

I have problems with this stage. I downloaded the patch a week or two ago hoping this problem would be corrected, but I've tried to play this scenario quite a few times only to fill all the requirements and still not actually complete the scenario.

It just comes up with a conquest victory. No end-game stats or movies and the next scenario is still locked. I downloaded the most current patch today, so hopefully the next scenarios will be unlocked and this problem will be corrected

12. MAPBill

MAPBill Chieftain

Had the sweetest time playing it on patch 'y'. It seems alright. No bugs found.
    Spoiler :
    Did the ol' Rush-for-Bastradam strategy, and I wasn't surprised to see a jolly confessor joining my ranks (often quoted in lots of posts here).

That priest surely helped my expeditionary stack (Threepwood, archmage, two mages, two champs, confessor, swordsman, radiant guard). All I needed to raze Despero and face Hyborem.
    The rest defended Bourne courageously (until those damned Wraiths made them all run for shelter, but Basium took over by then).

Gonna try the other side of the coin some other time, and see for myself if Bourne's really worth sacking.

13. Charybdis

Charybdis Scion Doomgiver

I did this, then after reading the ending text promptly reloaded and killed Hyborem instead. Reading that ending made me feel physically ill.

14. Kiwi Tyrant

Kiwi Tyrant Evil Jollification

Good short, sharp scenario; especially after enduring Momus. :goodjob:

Spoiler :
    Took 1 archmage, mage, arquebus, swordsman, radiant guard and Guybrush by boat to Balderstam, leaving the rest to defend. Positioned the Queen of the Line boat on the coast, 2 or 3 tiles north of Balderstam, and left it there. I'm not sure if that was where the Ira spawn is, but I never saw any of them as a result!? Received confessor & champ's and walked stack straight to Dis (bypassed Despero) wasting anything in my way (enemy troop's seemed more focused on trudging toward's the Mercurian city?). The arquebus defended the stack well, but once promoted to 'Guardsman' they were impressive. Slew Hyborem in lightly defended Dis (just as my defence lines were starting to get overwhelmed at home) and then got end game story. All good, no bug's etc.

p.s. Reading the happy ending made me feel physically ill, so I promptly reloaded and killed Basium instead. :drool: The darkness has returned and my faith in Kael is restored....

15. Grakor456

Grakor456 Chieftain

I found Radiant Guard rather unintuitive. You're told to protect a city you can't see, and for a while I thought the city was to the east and not the west until the demons started arriving. After reorganizing my defenses, I came to certain realizations:

1. The enemy outnumbers me.
    2. The enemy is faster than me.
    3. The enemy is stronger than me in a straight up fight.
    4. There are far too many holes in the mountains to completely block off the city you need to protect with the units you have.

This ended up making me reach the conclusion that the only advantage I had over the forces assaulting the city were the mages I had. Maelstrom was the spell of the hour, as Fireball pretty much did jack-squat against most of them demons, though my Archmage did have fun throwing Water Elementals at people.

Then came the realization that sacrificing the Radiant Guard created angels for Basium, Angels that were in reality far more valuable than the Guard themselves, considering they were weaponless and their Sun 2 kept getting resisted too often to be of much help.

Spoiler :
    I found it practically necessary to sacrifice my Radiant Guard in order to create angels. There was simply no way I could destroy all of the forces going through my lines, especially once Liches spamming Wraiths and Beasts of Agares started coming over the horizon. I can't imagine anyone actually expecting us to kill all of those with what little forces we have, especially if we're also trying to do Capria's side-quest at the same time.

It was a good scenario, balance quirks otherwise. I liked the "good" ending.

16. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

This one was fun tactically, but a bit of trick pony since it's pretty difficult unless you attack the SE demon city and get the free reinforcements.

17. cabbagemeister

cabbagemeister Please wait...

Playing this scenario was the first time I’ve had a FFH experience I really, really disliked. It was incredibly frustrating and very much not the style of game I enjoy. I tried beating it straight up (no cheating) three times at decreasing difficulty levels and failed each time. I’m normally an Emp-Immortal level player; if I have to go below Noble to beat this, something is wrong (with me, probably). Do lower difficulty levels actually make it easier for the player?

After failing three times, I finally decided to beat it by cheating. I gave myself a Eubarates near Dis to kill infernal units before they got to my weakling units, and I marched Guybrush to Bastradum, WB-deleting the Ira that spawned there. I have no idea how else to beat this. Even so, I twice had to WB-delete hellhounds that broke through my lines before I got 100 kills, which was on like turn 20 because Eubarates was slaughtering 3 guys a turn (I gave him Blitz). MOST frustratingly, when I razed the last Infernal city I got no story victory screen and I wasn’t able to start the Black tower. I finally had to manually give myself the trophy in the Trophy.cfg file. Now I wish I had done that from the very start instead of playing through this junk.

My observations from my failures:

1) Radiant Guards without iron are really pathetic. Now I remember why I never build them in the epic game. Here, the RGs can’t even hold their own against demonic axemen. Having a bunch of units with blinding light is an interesting idea for this scenario in theory (it gives you extra time to cover gaps in the defense), except that 1. BL gets resisted WAY too often, meaning the RGs are useless unless you stack 3 of them together, and 2. all the forest terrain means your units move too slow to get back and cover gaps anyway.

2) Razing Bastradum is pretty much impossible with the Ira spawns. 4 Ira (they always have at LEAST 4 by the time I walk over there) = dead stack. I suppose the only viable strategy is to get there quicker on the boats—I didn’t think about that until I read it in this thread. Kind of ridiculous to offer only one realistic strategy for victory.

3) Even with the Mages spamming maelstrom and fireballs, Only two of your units stand any chance of killing anything stronger than an axe: Guybrush and the Archmage. Unless you keep both of them back for defense, the demons WILL break through. Of course, if you keep them back for defense you can’t raze the demonic cities.

4) Because you only have two units capable of killing wraiths / Beasts of Agares, you HAVE to funnel the enemy towards where those two units are. This means pulling cheesy tactics like blocking chokepoints with hunters knowing that the AI pathfinding won’t let the AI just try to go through your hunters. I really dislike relying on AI exploitation like that to win, but I see no other choice here.

18. Yoadm

Yoadm Warlord

I've been trying to complete the scenario for two whole days. Im fed up with it to an extent I don't have the mental capacity for another shot. Can anyone give me a tip on how to change the scenario to *Trophy* so I could continue the campeign?

Thank's.

19. Breunor

Breunor Deity

I can't help with that, unfortunately; but if you follow the hints in the main thread, it should be pretty easy. Just play it on a very low level if you are having trouble.

Finally, you can just cheat using the worldbuilder.

But I appeal to you to try it the 'regular' way. I think the idea of these scenarios is to take us as players out of our 'patterns' and playing with different starategies and ideas; that is why some people find them very easy and some find them hard. It can be frustrating but it is rewarding when it is accomplished!

Best wishes,

Breunor

20. Yoadm

Yoadm Warlord

Thank's.. unfortunately even those tips didn't really aid me. I've wasted days on that scenario and Im pretty much done with it. Could you tell me how does one enter the world builder (Yes, I've never felt the need prior to this scenario)?