1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Real Estate Broker Strategy

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by DWilson, Mar 24, 2014.

1. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I was thinking over interesting ways to try and play the game, and reminiscing over some older kind of cheap ways to play, and I started to wonder if anyone has actually tried to play the role of real estate broker?

The concept is this, you devote a bit more of your personal resources to building/buying settlers, and place them in decent (though not necessarily ideal) locations. Then, you strike up a bargain with some of the more wealthy civs to see how much they would be willing to sink into them (and by extension, boost your economy). There are a couple of things I would note (and feel free to contribute to how this would be done in discussion). One, obviously you should try to focus on early exploration to figure out where you want to place these cities. Two, feel free to keep the best locations to yourself. Three, this will be more practical late game, when other civs have greater gpt, luxuries, etc to trade. If you do it early game, it should only be to make up for the resources lost exploring and settling (maybe a couple luxuries and/or low gpt). Four, if you really dislike a civ, feel free to be a poor broker, and sell them some crap cities. Five, this can be an offensive strategy too- if you are at war with someone, and capture a selection of cities that you might would rather raze, etc., sell them off instead, perhaps to the enemies of the civ you are fighting. If you have a Washington or Hiawatha ICS-ing, maybe pick a fight to get some cheap land to sell (possibly even right back to the ICS-ing civ you fought in the first place).

Possible benefits:
    1. Profit (Civs seem willing to pay a fair bit for cities, even relatively poor ones)
    2. Fun (A different way to go in, boosts some aspects of economic play)
    3. Vision (A better idea of your surroundings, possibly even leading to World Congress founding)
    4. Strategy (If you place cities away from the buyers homeland, in conflict they will be harder to defend, and therefore easier to pick off, boosting your performance in the fight, and possibly leading to a better peace treaty)

Thoughts?

2. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

But how exactly do you win using this strategy? If you're giving the enemy borders you're increasing their score.

3. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

You create shed loads of money and buy out CS for diplomatic victory.

4. DWilson

I was thinking the amount of money gained can be used for various purposes- infrastructure to boost any victory style, units to fight some wars- perhaps snipe capitols slowly, or conquer and trade non-capital cities to other civs, buy off city states, etc.

The main thing is to win while being involved actively in settling/colonizing and possibly war, while maintaining only a sturdy, but relatively small empire that's very wealthy and subsequently efficient in most areas. Gold is king, and like science tends to be useful no matter how you play.

5. arand86

arand86 Warlord

I've tried this. Doesn't exactly work, a settler costs more in gold than you can get out of a 1 pop, newly founded city. If you decide to build, you're costing yourself growth and production by doing so.

In addition, on higher levels, the AI will settle everywhere anyways, so you're also helping them settle everything a little faster with their absurd happiness bonuses.

6. Silverman6083

Silverman6083 History-Lover

Hmm well this might be viable Emperor & below. Because of extra sight America would be a great choice for this. In general if it's not their original city, the AI will burn any city they get. For this to make sense economically, you'd have to devote one city to pumping out cities, & sell them immediately for diplomatic reasons. In general, it might work & could be fun...low level of course, maybe I'll try it.

7. SULOMON

SULOMON Mod Civs Best Civs.

It seems like it would be most effective at Deity since the AI gets tons of gold.

8. GoStu

GoStu King

I've had great success doing this before. If I'm playing tall but end up at war, I'll torch smaller cities I have little interest in capturing, but then I'll sell off any larger ones I get, preferably to their largest rival that is adjacent to them.

I can short myself a bit on the deal to make an instant friend, or sell it at max price to clean a third party out of resources and money.

It's hilarious when they pay me so well for the privilege of owning the city, then immediately burn it down.

9. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

I've sold crass captured cities to a friendly neighbor a couple times, and they'll usually throw most of their resources and gold at you. Or, you could try selling Congress votes to other Civ's for resolutions you would have voted for anyways, if you could devote the diplomats.

Something else I've tried is voting for another Civ with least votes as WC host, if you're currently short a vote or two yourself, as opposed to wasting votes. That way, it'll be much easier to vote yourself in as host next vote, since the Civ you previously voted for can't support itself, even with extra votes for being host.

All of this worked for me on King-Emperor.

10. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

:think: Won't this strategy ruin social policy progress?

11. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Settling the new cities to sell them definitely will ruin the social policies. Because for each new town they settle they boost the culture costs. .

Only time it's safe is when you're immediately razing the cities upon capture.

12. Myth and Legend

Myth and Legend Prince

At Deity you only ever get 1 good spot to settle before the AI is in your face and suffocating you. 2 if you're lucky and you went Liberty for an early free settler (but that really cripples you by slowing down National College and the Tradition finisher)

Realistically, unless you're playing other than the standard size to civs ratio, on Deity you will be playing 2 city tall and probably you will expand via warmongering.

13. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

Well I tried it out on Emperor difficulty and can confirm... it doesn't really work.

By the time I got to the point where I was going to sell cities for boatloads of money I would settle a city, open up trade... and to my surprise absolutely no one had any money. All the while I have giant amounts of unhappiness growing and I have this useless desert city which.... has no resources.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. You have to start spamming cities early in the game for this to work and even higher level AIs wont have much gold until well into the game. By that time, you have sunken massive opportunity and development costs into these cities amd its doubtful anyone can pay enough to reimburse you. Also, you run the risk of the ai just taking them because you will be too weak/broke/unhappy to build a good defensive army.

15. haniblecter

haniblecter Chieftain

Its smart when you want to make tension where there isnt any.

Two civ's, seperated by an ocean. Want one to hate the other? Donate a city sharing borders with one, to hte other.

Works pretty well, esp. with civs that offer a city as a peace offering.

16. DWilson

Okay, so brokering isn't a good strategy overall then. Thought it might be interesting to consider, but good to know it's not very effective. Perhaps then focus more on the diplomacy/war provoking aspect by playing people against enemies with new borders. Though the risk there is that the city who's border it is placed on will be able to attack and conquer before the other can defend.

Side note, I thought it wasn't each new city, but each new city amount- as in, if you build it, you get the added culture cost, but if you sell before you build the next, it merely stays at the new height. Am I mistaken on that front?

17. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

City impact on culture costs operates like a high-water mark or a ratchet -- as you found or annex a city, culture costs ratchet up by one. If you then lose a city (conquered by another player, gifted in a peace treaty, or simply sold to another AI), culture costs don't ratchet down, but your next city doesn't cause culture costs to rise again, since you've just returned to the previous high-water mark.

18. DWilson

I thought as much. I like how you worded it a lot better, though, so thanks! :D

19. Callonia

Callonia Deity

I didn't know this, losing a city then regaining a city again will keep you at same place for culture. Thank u xD